Quotes, Tributes, Tweets, etc for Coach Pat Summit

salutethehill

by hatchet, axe, and saw
I'm enjoying reading what others have been saying about our Vol hero. Post your favorites here.

"She outworked her rivals ... and became a role model to millions of Americans—including our two daughters." —President Obama on Pat Summitt

"Coach @patsummitt was an all time great w/ a brilliant mind, a love of basketball and a deep loyalty to all around her. She will be missed." - Billie Jean King

Reactions: 1 person
CmCMFVpWAAQzUkr.jpg:large

From Sally Jenkins article in the Washington Post this morning.

"For more than two decades, I’ve been asked what Pat Summitt is really like, and failed to answer the question, for the simple reason that most words aren’t large enough to capture her. Paltry one-dimensional terms can’t describe the roiling, sparkling ocean of a person that Pat was."

I'm enjoying reading what others have been saying about our Vol hero. Post your favorites here.

"She outworked her rivals ... and became a role model to millions of Americans—including our two daughters." —President Obama on Pat Summitt

"Coach @patsummitt was an all time great w/ a brilliant mind, a love of basketball and a deep loyalty to all around her. She will be missed." - Billie Jean King

Thank you Salute. Stickied the thread. There is so much out there, love being able to see it all in one place as people add to it.

Reactions: 2 people
SHAQ*

@SHAQ

Rest In Heaven Coach Pat Summitt.#Legendpic.twitter.com/imqA1k80qB

9:30 AM - 28 Jun 2016

**Emmitt Smith

@EmmittSmith22

10h

Saddened by the news of the passing of legendary SEC women's basketball coach Pat Summitt. Rip sweet angel!!!

Reactions: 1 person
A couple of tweets from Mia Hamm.

Mia Hamm ‏@MiaHamm 9h9 hours ago
Thank you Pat for teaching me to be fearless with grace and humility. Thank you for being a mentor to so many.

Mia Hamm ‏@MiaHamm 9h9 hours ago
Thank you Pat Summit for all you have done to inspire women to be their best self. This generation of women are forever changed b/c of you.

Reactions: 2 people
A former Tennessee men’s basketball player took to Facebook on Tuesday morning to share a great story about former Lady Vols coach Pat Summitt...Brian Williams, a 6-foot-10 center from Bronx, N.Y., who played at Tennessee for Coach Bruce Pearl from 2007-2011, said one day Summitt got so fed up during a men’s practice she was watching that she took control of it.

“We was goofing around and Pat was watching,” Williams wrote. “She got fed up and threw the ball, and everyone stopped. She said, ‘Run sprints, and run them fast.’”

Tennessee’s players then looked at Pearl as if to suggest, "Is she serious?" “He looked back at us and walked away and sat down, and Pat ran the rest of practice,” Williams said. “I remember I threw up twice that day.”
That time Lady Vols legend Pat Summitt took over a Tennessee Vols' men's basketball practice

Reactions: 10 people
After a game in 1981-1982, I wrote that Summitt was willing to lose a game or two if it meant giving some of her younger recruits chances to play. Tennessee got off to a 4-5 start, the only time I remember the Lady Vols having a losing record that far into the season under Summitt.

I felt the icy stare from Summitt for the first and only time when she pulled me aside and explained something very clearly.

“The players earn their playing time,” she said, “and I am not willing to lose a game or two anywhere, any time.”

James Bennett column: Memories of laser-focused Pat Summitt | Columbia Daily Herald

An absolutely amazing collection of heartfelt tributes today from people all across the sports world. I urge everybody to check out the social media tributes on utsports.com. She was very influential boosting women's athletics in this country--and of course inspired two generations of girls--and probably more than a few men, too. A great competitor, great leader, great friend. Pat Summitt: She made us all proud to be Vols.

A former Tennessee men’s basketball player took to Facebook on Tuesday morning to share a great story about former Lady Vols coach Pat Summitt...Brian Williams, a 6-foot-10 center from Bronx, N.Y., who played at Tennessee for Coach Bruce Pearl from 2007-2011, said one day Summitt got so fed up during a men’s practice she was watching that she took control of it.

“We was goofing around and Pat was watching,” Williams wrote. “She got fed up and threw the ball, and everyone stopped. She said, ‘Run sprints, and run them fast.’”

Tennessee’s players then looked at Pearl as if to suggest, "Is she serious?" “He looked back at us and walked away and sat down, and Pat ran the rest of practice,” Williams said. “I remember I threw up twice that day.”
That time Lady Vols legend Pat Summitt took over a Tennessee Vols' men's basketball practice
I was always told the reason Pat coached women was because men weren't tough enough to play for her.

Reactions: 3 people
Pat Summitt’s death: The Gamecocks react | The State

Dawn Staley:
A sad day in my life and the entire WBB community-Pat Summit thank you for sharing your passion and love for the game with all of us. 🙏🏾🙏🏾

Steve Spurrier:
The passing of a Legend. @patsummitt your impact on the game will never be forgotten. https://twitter.com/sportscenter/status/747762534871080960 …

Steve Spurrer again:
Steve Spurrier: "She sort of always liked me for some reason, and I always liked her. Winners admire winners."

Gamecocks Athletics:
The #Gamecocks family is saddened by Pat Summitt's passing & we honor her lasting legacy! #ThankYouPat @RayTannerSC

There is a very touching tribute video by Kara Lawson and the quote below is from it.

“Pat Summitt was historical. Pat Summitt was magnificent. Pat Summitt was compassionate. Pat Summitt was courageous. Pat Summitt was selfless.
If you were from Tennessee, you were proud, because Pat was from Tennessee. If you were country, you were proud, because she was country. If you went to school at UT, you were proud, because Pat was your coach. If you were her friend, you were proud, because Pat was your friend."

Kara Lawson

I encountered Pat on several occasions. Going to school in my 30's at UTC, when the Women's SEC tourney was there. I was a Sports Administration major, so I was involved in nearly everything sports" at UTC... During the 1996 SEC tourney, I was in a hallway working with one Ole Miss participants in the tourney. I had seen her warming up passing to a non-teammate and noticed that when she passed she led with the elbow on her overhand throw (Like a baseball throw) . Being who I am, I walked over and began to tell her that "you don't throw a basketball like you do a softball, with a smaller ball you can lead with your elbow and snap the wrist, but with a BB you have windmill the arm and finish with a push from your fingertips for power". . . Pat watched me work with this girl for about 2 minutes. When I showed the girl how to wind-mill the set up and finish with a push, Pat gave an affirmative smile and walked on... Later I saw her in the stands and took my program over for her to sign it. . . She said, "I thought you were with Ole Miss"... I told her I was an older student with UTC and had already coached for numerous years... She signed my program, smiled and said, "Push the finish... I like that".... I think I "school boy grinned" about that for the rest of the tourney.

Pat had the ability to relax you, intimidate you,or build you. She was truly a bookmark coach.

Reactions: SmokinBob
Please permit to be included a live letter in today's edition of the Connecticut "Hartford Courant":
"Summit: The Very Peak"
While teaching a student some time ago, the student came across a word whose meaning she did not know and asked me,
The word was "summit".Fortuantely, I recalled that this student was a women's grade school basketball player and fan, "Have you heard of Pat Summitt?" I asked. "Yes" she said.
"You know Pat Summitt is the winningest basketball coach in NCAA history, men's or women's" I said. She nodded. "Summit means the top, the tippy top," I said." Many people try to climb Mount Everest, but few reach the summit, the peak. So, summit means the top, yes?" The light went on, and she nodded. Summitt means the top, the tippy top!! So long, Rocky Top!
James Taylor Jr. Middletown, CT

God bless and keep you, Coach!!!

Reactions: 5 people
“I took a top prospect to see Pat Summitt,” Altizer wrote. “It was quite common for many recruits and dignitaries to ask to see her when they came to campus. Steve Spurrier, Pat Dye (and) the late Erk Russell are just a few people who requested some counsel from her during their visits for coaching clinics.

“At any rate, we had a four-star receiver who was down to us and one other school in his decision, and he was excited to meet Coach Summitt. I had the task of taking him to meet her, and this is no lie, as we walked in Coach Summitt stood up and said, ‘Is this the guy who can’t figure out the difference in Tennessee and (the other school)?’

“She studied the folder we sent her about him and was on him like white on rice — ‘Have you watched us play ball? And have you see the way we throw the ball around? It makes me wonder if you really need to come here if you’re having trouble figuring out the difference between here and (the other school).’

“At this point I was standing there with my mouth open, and the kid was dumbfounded. He couldn’t say anything. Those eyes of hers danced, and she really let him have it.

“He committed that evening.”

The time Pat Summitt sealed the deal for a 4-star wide receiver considering Tennessee Vols football

VN Store

Back