Quotes/Stats of the day

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
"I think Duke was better than their record showed,'' said center Scott Wells. "They've improved drastically the last few weeks.

UT had more yardage, 355 to 299, though Duke's offense won the time-of-possession battle by 34:05 to 25:55 as Tennessee couldn't sustain drives.

Tennessee football: What is it? It's counting on the other guys to make more mistakes than you do. It's relying on somebody else to take care of your business.

The Blue Devils have won more than three games only once since 1994. They have won four games total since 1999. They have been so bad, the Duke athletic director couldn't wait until the end of the season to fire his head coach.

The offense gets worse by the game, except when the Vols spread the field and go to a no-huddle attack. But they wouldn't dare try that for an entire game. That would be too unconventional, too innovative.

If the East championship came down to a vote, I can imagine an athletic director making a case for the Vols by saying: "Don't forget, they beat Duke by 17 points without two starters. And Mark Jones was limited."

UT's defensive players earned their scholarships on Saturdays: The defense has been on the field more than their opponents in five consecutive games.

Best Line: Duke has lost 30 consecutive ACC games. It's a good thing the Vols don't play in the ACC, said one press box wag.

Tennessee has scored a total of 23 points in the first half of its last four games.

Randy Sanders: ''I don't really have an explanation.''

Sean Young: I think they ran every defense in this game that we've ever seen.''

''We just never really got rolling,'' Sanders said.

Duke's Chris Douglas rushed for 128 yards against Tennessee. He's the fourth back in the last five games to eclipse the 100-yard mark against the Vols.

:snoring: :whatever:

VN Store

Back