Quinn Ewers to enroll early in a few days and forego senior season... Wow..Just wow!!!!!

It all ties together. You can’t complain about NIL is gonna kill amateurism and how much that sucks when the guy who enforces amateurism is making $5M/year. It’s hypocrisy at its finest
I have problems with how much he makes. But amateurism isn’t some kind of ethical standard for people to live by. Its was a rule put in place for competitive reasons. Mark Emmertt’s salary doesn’t have any implication on competitive outcomes

Some of these kids are getting deals in HS now. You don't have to leave HS for the NIL deals to roll in. Saw an article the other day about a 2022 basketball recruit, top 20 not even top 10. 6 figure deal for his 500k social media followers. It's insane.

I bet this kid is just going to learn the playbook and have familiarity with the system. Maybe he wins the jobs, who knows.
There's a law in Texas that makes it illegal

I have problems with how much he makes. But amateurism isn’t some kind of ethical standard for people to live by. Its was a rule put in place for competitive reasons. Mark Emmertt’s salary doesn’t have any implication on competitive outcomes

Sure but now it’s moot. And the world has changed. If this was the 50’s and games weren’t televised via billion dollar contracts I’d be more understanding

Like I said before enforcement is a different issue

Universities get donations and corporate sponsorship dollars. When they’re making their spends they now have an alternative, and I doubt they’ll all of a sudden have more marketing dollars in their budgets. So it poses a risk. And have you seen the finances of college athletics departments? It won’t take much for them to move into the red. And either way they’ll have to cut expenses proportionally. How much so, is yet to be seen

Let’s think about the sponsors of UT. Verizon, Coca-Cola, Pilot…you really think any of them are gonna be hurting for NIL? And again a majority of the money is coming from television deals

Let’s think about the sponsors of UT. Verizon, Coca-Cola, Pilot…you really think any of them are gonna be hurting for NIL? And again a majority of the money is coming from television deals
I didn’t say they’d be hurting. I said there’s a risk theyd reallocate some of their marketing spend now that they can potentially directly sponsor athletes. TV might be the majority but it doesn’t make everything else inconsequential, especially when they operate on relatively close margins. Of course Danny White isn’t unbiased, but he’s echoed those concerns

Reactions: jp1
It blows my mind that somebody says that players shouldn’t be able to profit of their name and likeness while Nick Saban can profit off his name and likeness in Aflac commercials because he’s famous off the players that play for him. Like…I can’t even imagine how someone can think that’s all perfectly fine and reasonable
I have always said pay the coaches in education. If it's ok to pay the players in education then it should be ok to pay the other adults in it too.

Funny. They’d find something else to do. Why don’t the players?
You are right. That wouldn't be fair. We need to also pay the coaches with tutoring, free healthcare, 3 squares and snacks, and obviously a dorm room. Then all the adults earning millions for their university are being compensating correctly. I mean if it's so great for a 18-22 year old why isn't it for a 55 year old?

You are right. That wouldn't be fair. We need to also pay the coaches with tutoring, free healthcare, 3 squares and snacks, and obviously a dorm room. Then all the adults earning millions for their university are being compensating correctly. I mean if it's so great for a 18-22 year old why isn't it for a 55 year old?
Difference is coaches have more options, the players don’t.

This doesn't really relate to what your post is about that I replied to. You said "conservative groups" are opposed to him getting paid. Which is kind of a dumb generalization, not relevant to the issue, and further I don't think it's even true. They just don't want it to be in college.
I meant that a lot of CFB fans, which are a conservative lot generally speaking, seem to really be against them making money, and that fact is ironic.

I meant that a lot of CFB fans, which are a conservative lot generally speaking, seem to really be against them making money, and that fact is ironic.
Why is it ironic? If there were a minor league that he could go straight into I don’t think anyone would care. Now that the NBA has started one, I don’t hear outcry from conservatives about the kids who go out and make money that way. The free market would say that based on the revenue opportunities that relies on college-aged athletes, competition for their services would be easy by just offering pay. Has the NCAA colluded in some way to stifle that competition? Not that I know of. The NFL could easily make that happen. But the NFL has anti-trust protection from congress. So the NCAA is compelled to change due to government interference in the market. That is inherently anti-capitalistic, which then makes this stance totally appropriate for a conservative.

Last edited:
Reactions: DuckInAPen
I respect your opinion I'm just intrigued as to why you think this way. How is finishing high school and graduating early considered "screwing HS?" If someone graduates HS early and goes to Harvard is that "screwing HS?" Once you graduate you are free to move on to college IMHO. There are kids that reclassify to a year earlier recruiting class all the time because they have worked hard and graduated early. Again I'm not trying to come off as rude I'm just curious as to why you feel he is screwing his HS and why you wish him bad luck?
I wish him bad luck only because he’s going to OSU. ;)
I have zero problem graduating early and enrolling mid-term. I’m old school. I know it. I just wouldn’t leave my HS friends and teammates right before the season starts. That’s all.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Why is it ironic? If there were a minor league that he could go straight into I don’t think anyone would care. Now that the NBA has started one, I don’t hear outcry from conservatives about the kids who go out and make money that way. The free market would say that based on the revenue opportunities that relies on college-aged athletes, competition for their services would be easy by just offering pay. Has the NCAA colluded in some way to stifle that competition? Not that I know of. The NFL could easily make that happen. But the NFL has anti-trust protection from congress. So the NCAA is compelled to change due to government interference in the market. That is inherently anti-capitalistic, which then makes this stance totally appropriate for a conservative.
Because conservatives usually aren't against people doing things to make money. In any form or fashion.

...and I do hear outcry about high school basketball players going straight to a professional league that pays them. They're afraid it'll kill college basketball.

Because conservatives usually aren't against people doing things to make money. In any form or fashion.

...and I do hear outcry about high school basketball players going straight to a professional league that pays them. They're afraid it'll kill college basketball.
Isn’t that what I said? “Conservatives” generally would be fine if college aged athletes made the decision to make money over going to college. That’s an individual decision. Totally free-market

Reactions: Remy
Isn’t that what I said? Conservatives would be fine if college aged athletes made the decision to make money over going to college.
But why shouldn't they be able to make money, regardless of the outlet they choose? You're like, "Well you shouldn't be allowed to profit if you take this one, but you can if you take this one?"

A trumpet player in the band is allowed to make money performing in a concert. Why can't a football player? Should he have to go into a professional band if he wants to make some cash, and not play in his college's marching band?

Reactions: zjcvols
I wish him bad luck only because he’s going to OSU. ;)
I have zero problem graduating early and enrolling mid-term. I’m old school. I know it. I just wouldn’t leave my HS friends and teammates right before the season starts. That’s all.
Southlake Carroll always has someone in the wings. If not they’ll send out for one.

But why shouldn't they be able to make money, regardless of the outlet they choose? You're like, "Well you shouldn't be allowed to profit if you take this one, but you can if you take this one?"

A trumpet player in the band is allowed to make money performing in a concert. Why can't a football player? Should he have to go into a professional band if he wants to make some cash, and not play in his college's marching band?
Are trumpeters in competition? The rule on amateurism was for competitive reasons. Regardless, leagues should make their own rules. I think there’s value in amateur athletics and I think college is an appropriate place for it. I think there ought to be outlets for athletes who would rather make money. That’s not an inherently anti-conservative stance.

Are trumpeters in competition? The rule on amateurism was for competitive reasons. Regardless, leagues should make their own rules. I think there’s value in amateur athletics and I think college is an appropriate place for it. I think there ought to be outlets for athletes who would rather make money. That’s not an inherently anti-conservative stance.
Sure, the bands go around and have competitions.

Sure, the bands go around and have competitions.
Ok, then if they think it’s in their best interest to limit professional trumpeters from competitions then that’s their prerogative. I don’t really get the political tilt to this issue

VN Store

Back