Questions From Noobs:Tennessee Baseball Edition

Somebody asked earlier in the year about some folks writing up a little bit about the history of the BaseVols forum. I've thought about this for a bit, here goes.

I joined VN on December 18, 2007, 10 days after my son was born. The writing was on the wall, I was gonna be a stay at home dad. I missed the Todd Raleigh coaching search and to be honest I didn't care much about college baseball at that time, but i was about to have some spare time on my hands.

I was mostly getting an education on how to post in the FF. Looking back on it now, it was a lot like the first time ya ride a bike, or a skate board, or ride a Big Wheel down, what seems, like a steep hill. It seems huge at the time, but you drive by once you get older to show yer kid where you grew up and you realize...it's just not that steep after all. It is through that lens I type the rest.

That time period was a very turbulent time in the UTAD. Long time coach Delmonico had been fired and it was about to happen to Fulmer too in 2008. Lane Kiffin will leave in the middle of the night next year. Before moving on...

To me VN seemed like the posting wild west. Maybe I feel that way because I WAS THE VERY DEFINITION OF A NOOB. Maybe, it really was that wild, or maybe something in between, like me on the hill when I was a kid. It sure seems to me you could get away with a lot more, it seemed less moderated, etc..

I knew nothing. I think it took me a year to figure out what, just to name a few...FWIW, TLDR (feel free), SIAP etc...even meant. I was scared to look stupid. This is where it gets a little cloudy for me. Things could be be very contentious, that's being polite. I was the very definition of consistent. I was consistently getting my teeth kicked in posting on here. I actually admire some of those guys, I learned lots from them regarding debating on a message board, not the least of which was an economy of words (which I'm failing miserably at right now). I also learned what kind of poster I did not wanna be too. That took a while.

In the four year period that was the Raleigh era, I found the baseball forum and there was not very much going on TBH(didn't know that one either). When Raleigh was fired, I made the coaching search thread. Believe me, at that time it was a bold move because I knew very little about college baseball and I certainly didn't have an opinion about who we should hire. I was simply managing the thread and learning where obscure places regarding baseball were. It was the first time I realized I could start a thread and take everyone's opinion into account and be civil even if I disagreed, not that they're weren't moments where I faltered.

We hired Serrano from Cal State Fullerton and after, I felt obligated to stay and see that through to the end. Six years later I had to eat crow. Somewhere in all that time I looked at buying season tix to football, no way. I became a diehard baseball fan because that's what we could afford.

The cool thing now is there are sooooo many people helping out with game day threads, Pick Em, Recruiting(miss ya Burger), standings, etc... none of that really existed back then. So I just wanna say thanks to all you folks for making this a great hang!

GBO!!!
I enjoyed reading this, thanks for posting. While reading this I finally realized what you meant by the Fighting Serrano’s yesterday, I kept looking for a team with that nickname and I failed.

I enjoyed reading this, thanks for posting. While reading this I finally realized what you meant by the Fighting Serrano’s yesterday, I kept looking for a team with that nickname and I failed.

Sorry it took me so long to get to it, and thanks so much for all you do here, especially the merchandise stuff!

It’s my understanding that the third base coach was way up the line , out of the coaches box , reading the grip by the angle of Dollander’s wrist and I think they actually may have been doing this the night before , not 100 percent sure but I think Evan picked up that the coach was relaying it to his hitters. And Evan relayed that to our coaches.Honestly think the hitters where trying to get back out for time to get I a sign from the coach. I think it was a learning experience for this team

I don’t remember anything about how In started here.

I think 66 predates me on this site. But I was on other site when Raleigh was hired. . I remember some guy defending Raleigh but can’t recall who that was. I always give hires at UT a chance but TR.

I’ve been on various forums since I was at UT 30 years ago. Then it was the old Prodigy and GEnie dial-in services and that was primarily football related. I can’t recall what service I was on when baseball became a focus. Not a lot of us indeed

Yes baseball forums are where it’s at man, the ppl are so much more polite n willing to debate. Basketball n football forums, if you dare disagree with the norm you will be jumped by countless posters lol

I just randomly found this forums searching through the website after being in the FF for about a year. I grew up playing baseball and loved the game, still do. I've always supported TN in the big 3 men's sport and softball is my favorite ladies sport. My first TN athletic event was a baseball game, TN was in Johnson City playing ETSU back when they played at Cardinal Park. I was in 3rd grade(dating myself a bit I know) the game was on a school night and was going to extras but my dad was making us leave because I had school in the morning. However, in between innings he went over to the TN dugout and got someone's attention (it turned out to be coach Simcox) and asked if he could get someone to sign my hat. He thought about it for a second and said ok and took it over to our catcher at the time who was JP Arencebia and got him to sign it before he went out for that inning. I still have that hat at my parents house. I've followed TN baseball ever since, when it was the only option we had I used to turn on Wilkerson and listen to every game. To date which team it was exactly I'm not sure l, but I also remember it was back when we still had James Adkins.

Somebody asked earlier in the year about some folks writing up a little bit about the history of the BaseVols forum. I've thought about this for a bit, here goes.

I joined VN on December 18, 2007, 10 days after my son was born. The writing was on the wall, I was gonna be a stay at home dad. I missed the Todd Raleigh coaching search and to be honest I didn't care much about college baseball at that time, but i was about to have some spare time on my hands.

I was mostly getting an education on how to post in the FF. Looking back on it now, it was a lot like the first time ya ride a bike, or a skate board, or ride a Big Wheel down, what seems, like a steep hill. It seems huge at the time, but you drive by once you get older to show yer kid where you grew up and you realize...it's just not that steep after all. It is through that lens I type the rest.

That time period was a very turbulent time in the UTAD. Long time coach Delmonico had been fired and it was about to happen to Fulmer too in 2008. Lane Kiffin will leave in the middle of the night next year. Before moving on...

To me VN seemed like the posting wild west. Maybe I feel that way because I WAS THE VERY DEFINITION OF A NOOB. Maybe, it really was that wild, or maybe something in between, like me on the hill when I was a kid. It sure seems to me you could get away with a lot more, it seemed less moderated, etc..

I knew nothing. I think it took me a year to figure out what, just to name a few...FWIW, TLDR (feel free), SIAP etc...even meant. I was scared to look stupid. This is where it gets a little cloudy for me. Things could be be very contentious, that's being polite. I was the very definition of consistent. I was consistently getting my teeth kicked in posting on here. I actually admire some of those guys, I learned lots from them regarding debating on a message board, not the least of which was an economy of words (which I'm failing miserably at right now). I also learned what kind of poster I did not wanna be too. That took a while.

In the four year period that was the Raleigh era, I found the baseball forum and there was not very much going on TBH(didn't know that one either). When Raleigh was fired, I made the coaching search thread. Believe me, at that time it was a bold move because I knew very little about college baseball and I certainly didn't have an opinion about who we should hire. I was simply managing the thread and learning where obscure places regarding baseball were. It was the first time I realized I could start a thread and take everyone's opinion into account and be civil even if I disagreed, not that they're weren't moments where I faltered.

We hired Serrano from Cal State Fullerton and after, I felt obligated to stay and see that through to the end. Six years later I had to eat crow. Somewhere in all that time I looked at buying season tix to football, no way. I became a diehard baseball fan because that's what we could afford.

The cool thing now is there are sooooo many people helping out with game day threads, Pick Em, Recruiting(miss ya Burger), standings, etc... none of that really existed back then. So I just wanna say thanks to all you folks for making this a great hang!

GBO!!!

This board is definitely better with Burger, Bruin and Roller. Backwards K still pops in but wish he were more active.

How does the NCAA determine which teams make the regionals and how they are seeded?

How does the NCAA determine which teams make the regionals and how they are seeded?

The regionals, host team, and location are decided by a selection committee. Factored into location is the ability to host a large event, so host teams don’t even necessarily play at their own stadiums (although SEC stadiums are generally decadent enough to make the cut).

Understanding the road to Omaha, CWS breakdown

The regionals, host team, and location are decided by a selection committee. Factored into location is the ability to host a large event, so host teams don’t even necessarily play at their own stadiums (although SEC stadiums are generally decadent enough to make the cut).

Understanding the road to Omaha, CWS breakdown
That was informative article, thanks.

What formula do they us to determine the top 8 seeds, is it a combination of the polls and ELO and RPI?

Reactions: AllVolinGA
Anybody know what song they play after a win in LNS? I know Rocky top, then another right after. What’s the second one?

This contingent is comprised of the 30 Division I conference champions who receive automatic berths and followed by the 34 at-large selections.

Does the automatic birth come from winning the league or the tournament?

Anybody know what song they play after a win in LNS? I know Rocky top, then another right after. What’s the second one?
I havent been to a game at LNS but if it's like basketball and football its "Down the Field" it's our actual fight song. Most people dont even know what it is or the words, I like it. Only reason I know it is because of friends in the POTSMB

I havent been to a game at LNS but if it's like basketball and football its "Down the Field" it's our actual fight song. Most people dont even know what it is or the words, I like it. Only reason I know it is because of friends in the POTSMB
Reminds me of John Ward…

Lord no, I know Down the Field.

At LNS, they play the Osborne version of Rocky Top (after runs, and wins). Once it finishes after a win, some random country song comes up. Its nothing special but its driving me nuts figuring out what it is.

Lord no, I know Down the Field.

At LNS, they play the Osborne version of Rocky Top (after runs, and wins). Once it finishes after a win, some random country song comes up. Its nothing special but its driving me nuts figuring out what it is.

Stayed late last night to answer my own question. "Can't Get Away From a Good Time" Logan Mize

No idea why they play it, but given how the whole team runs on routine, I'm sure there's a reason.

Stayed late last night to answer my own question. "Can't Get Away From a Good Time" Logan Mize

No idea why they play it, but given how the whole team runs on routine, I'm sure there's a reason.
Has it just been this year?

VN Store

Back