Questions From Noobs:Tennessee Baseball Edition

VANDY, LSu, FLORIda Mississippi State, then everyone else that plays in the SEC excpept Missouri and they are not a force to be reckoned with in basball.

Reactions: MAD
VANDY
ARKANSAS
FLORIDA
LSU
AUBURN

In that order for me for dis-like , Auburn fans, at Auburn, the porch above the visiting bull pen is brutal and it's grown men that run their traps!! They rode GC so hard while warming up , that he flipped the ol #1 middle finger when he entered the game. and Honestly i don't blame him , they were rough.

I can't stand the wps either. Fergies bomb will always be remembered.

And Vandy , they just have a totally different feel. ER's 3 run homer game's against Candy and LSU will always be 2 of my favorites of all time UT moments. Especially Vandy's , that stadium went crazy!! The moments' afterwards is something I will never forget. The whole
stadium was in shock as well as Vandy.

My bad. Put Arkansas in there equal with LSU. I believe it is 1. Vandy 3 way tie for 2nd Arkansas, Florida, and LSU 4. Mississippi State and then the rest and Missouri is last. But that will change. Texas will be somewhere in the 1-4 spot.

Reactions: ArdentVol and MAD
I dislike LSU less now than I did when the Jordan brothers were there. And it seemed like Duplantis played there for about 12 years.

I need to gauge the hatred of the SEC teams when it comes to baseball.
I know who are our hated rivals when it comes to football and basketball.

So far it seems to me that it’s LSU, Arkansas, Miss St and Vandy.
Obviously it’s different for everyone but I’d like to hear your take.
IMO, it’s hard to have a rivalry with a team you don’t play on an annual basis. Familiarity breeds contempt.

I really really hate Vanderbilt. I don’t like LSU or Arkansas either but respect their passion. As always I hate Florida, Georgia and Alabama. LSU fans were awesome this weekend they absolutely took the stadium over from TU

Reactions: chuckiepoo and MAD

Noob

Vandy
Vandy
Vandy

I dislike a few teams, And I like to think that I don't actually hate anyone. But when it comes to Vandy, well.............. Don't think Volnation hates MSU. I certainly don't. I admire their BaseB program.

I keep hearing that the reason Vandy is so good in baseball is because they have an unfair advantage being a private school. What advantages do they have over the rest of the SEC schools?

Slightly longer version: baseball has 11.7 scholarships to give out (many other sports have full scholarships to give out). And, someone please correct me if I’m wrong, each player gets at least .25 scholarship.

Players can earn academic and need based scholarships as well, on top of the baseball scholarship. But there’s often a money gap between tuition/room/board/etc. and the scholarship money. And if you’re an out of state student, that money gap can be huge. Add in the various economics of families as well.

We had a Vanderbilt guy play for us one summer. I asked his dad how that school did things. His son was guaranteed for four years scholarships that were either 75% or 80% (I don’t recall which one) of the cost to attend Vanderbilt. In the recruitment process, his son was also offered by a real good ACC program as well. However the ACC coach couldn’t match what Vanderbilt offered, and I was told the ACC head coach said ‘I don’t know how Vanderbilt does it.’

Slightly longer version: baseball has 11.7 scholarships to give out (many other sports have full scholarships to give out). And, someone please correct me if I’m wrong, each player gets at least .25 scholarship.

Players can earn academic and need based scholarships as well, on top of the baseball scholarship. But there’s often a money gap between tuition/room/board/etc. and the scholarship money. And if you’re an out of state student, that money gap can be huge. Add in the various economics of families as well.

We had a Vanderbilt guy play for us one summer. I asked his dad how that school did things. His son was guaranteed for four years scholarships that were either 75% or 80% (I don’t recall which one) of the cost to attend Vanderbilt. In the recruitment process, his son was also offered by a real good ACC program as well. However the ACC coach couldn’t match what Vanderbilt offered, and I was told the ACC head coach said ‘I don’t know how Vanderbilt does it.’

@BruinVol

Reactions: chuckiepoo
And he and I could carry on like we do, but despite the advantages that VU and UVA have, we’re right there.
I am assuming there was some perceived slight that private institutions needed to overcome to level the playing field?

I am assuming there was some perceived slight that private institutions needed to overcome to level the playing field?

Other way around. The private institutions can play around with the need based aid in a way public schools can’t but that might be a thing of the past NIL wise.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and MAD
NCAA rules allow baseball 11.7 scholarships to distribute among 27 scholarship players on a 35-man roster, with the other eight (walk-ons) are able to receive financial aid from the school but not the athletic department. This is in contrast to football which gets 85 fully-funded scholarships and women’s volleyball team gets 12 scholarships.
Private schools like Vandy and Stanford with huge endowments have a big advantage in supplementing the fractional baseball athletic scholarships with merit and need based aid. Check out Opportunity Vanderbilt and their $10B endowment (UT’s is just under $1B and Stanford’s at $36B).

VN Store

Back