Question I'd Love Answered

This is either spin or shows that he is in over his head. It’s fine for players to fight during practice, that is what competition and long hot days do to you. It’s a whole other animal to fight on the sidelines during a game. It’s week 6, that means players and coaches have had almost 3 months of practices to get this crap sorted out.
Lulz, ok..

We're hearing that Pruitt needs more time. More time to recruit quality players. We're 25th on rivals. Only 14 commits. 11th in the SEC. Honestly, what quality players are going consider us when the product is so bad in year 2? He can't sell his 'vision' when we're worse this year than last, and every other team will easily be able to trash this staff on the trail. Please explain.

Winning is important to recruiting but not everything by any means. Kids really want to know that their position coaches and coordinators have put guys like them in the NFL. Tennessee has enough recruiters that have put dudes in the NFL to make an impact.

Reactions: cgrish
This is either spin or shows that he is in over his head. It’s fine for players to fight during practice, that is what competition and long hot days do to you. It’s a whole other animal to fight on the sidelines during a game. It’s week 6, that means players and coaches have had almost 3 months of practices to get this crap sorted out.

Maybe, some guys needed a reminder and other guys were able to remind them..

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Due to Pruitt's lack of player development are recruiting is very much slipping away. It's really common sense.

Expert on running and fixing complex problems at a huge college football program.

Also doesn't know the difference between are and our.

Ladies and gentlemen, meet the FAHR crowd. They work at wal-mart.

FWIW, I believe we currently have the 6th best SEC class when you look at the average. Keep in mind that it's also October. Also keep in mind that Butch recruited out of his mind based on star rankings and this is where we are.

We're hearing that Pruitt needs more time. More time to recruit quality players. We're 25th on rivals. Only 14 commits. 11th in the SEC. Honestly, what quality players are going consider us when the product is so bad in year 2? He can't sell his 'vision' when we're worse this year than last, and every other team will easily be able to trash this staff on the trail. Please explain.
Tennessee is like 7th in the conference In average star rating. Pruitt actually has a very good record at evaluating lower rated players as well. Tennessee also leads for several instate players most of which are four star players.

Now I’m not saying we get all those kids nor that we hang onto the players we have if we don’t get better. Fact is we played like crap versus two teams we should’ve beaten and then we played two top ten teams. Young players like Henry T, Wright, and Morris are seeming to come along somewhat. No reason to think this team will not get better versus the rest of their schedule excluding Bama.

The most important thing is that Tennessee beats Miss State. The staff we have are elite recruiters BUT you can’t sell recruits on a program if they believe that program has nothing to sell.

Of course the winning programs will say:
If you go to TN you may start playing right away, no red shirt-you'll be going up against the best in country with many years of experience, years with great coaches in our weight training facility, your chance of getting hurt will be among the highest NCAA.
Your playing time could be cut very short, and any hope you may have playing pro could disappear if you take the kind of hits, guys in our program hand out to 19 year old wannabees.
I'm not sure this is the best way to recruit against the likes of GA, BAMA, FL, etc.

I totally agree.......just look at what Butch did with that pitch.

I would be honest and keep it super simple.

Reactions: I40flyer
He needs players who are used to winning and willing to scrap for it. It’s more a cultural thing than anything. He only has a years worth of those players that he’s recruited. He needs 2-3 more classes

We heard the same thing when Butch was here. “Dooley recruited guys who were use to losing. Butch is recruiting guys from winning programs and they know how to win.” Guess the guys in 2017 that had been on teams that had won 3 consecutive bowl games forgot how to win all of a sudden.

Pruitt isn’t teaching anyone how to win right now. He used the GA State game as a scrimmage instead of pounding a lesser opponent. Then against BYU he decided going for it repeatedly on 4th down was a better idea than using his all star kicker. Pruitt doesn’t know how to create a winning culture b/c he has never been on a D1 team that has had to do it.

We heard the same thing when Butch was here. “Dooley recruited guys who were use to losing. Butch is recruiting guys from winning programs and they know how to win.” Guess the guys in 2017 that had been on teams that had won 3 consecutive bowl games forgot how to win all of a sudden.

Pruitt isn’t teaching anyone how to win right now. He used the GA State game as a scrimmage instead of pounding a lesser opponent. Then against BYU he decided going for it repeatedly on 4th down was a better idea than using his all star kicker. Pruitt doesn’t know how to create a winning culture b/c he has never been on a D1 team that has had to do it.
Dobbs

recruits want to see the vision. UT has a lot to offer, but the relationship with the staff has to be solid and the gameplan has to be as well. it doesnt always equal wins, but a nice plan has to be in place to land recruits. some will still choose elsewhere due to whats hot right now and proximity, etc..

gonna have to get and develop a few steals!

I think that is part of the problem. I haven’t seen any signs that our coach actually has a vision. I have seen a lot of questionable game plans and no 2nd half adjustments either. I just don’t think Pruitt is a ‘vision’ or ‘strategy’ guy. I really question whether he has the ability to coach up plays or change his philosophy a little bit to adapt to players strengths and weaknesses. If he can only be successful with 5 stars I’m not sure if I would classify him as a ‘coach’.

I don't buy the early playing time. Look at the top 10 programs and tell me which team is telling recruits to come there cause they can play right away

The top ten programs don't have to do that now; but I can assure you before they reached top ten they were told that. Look at it like this, we have a very good player we are trying to recruit. You can come to ut, where we are in building phase, with top of the line facilities, great sc coach, arguably the best coaching staff in the county that can develop you as a player. Coaches who have coached and developed many players who went on to the nfl; and probably play as a freshman, or you can go to xyz school and start when you are a junior. We need players of your caliber now. It's your choice, do you want to play now or wait 2 years.

Last edited:
How close do you follow recruiting in years past?

The top ten programs don't have to do that now; but I can assure you before they reached top ten they were told that. Look at it like this, we have a very good player we are trying to recruit. You can come to ut, where we are in building phase, with top of the line facilities, great sc coach, arguably the best coaching staff in the county that can develop you as a player. Coaches who have coached and developed many players who went on to the nfl; and probably play as a freshman, or you can go to xyz school and start when you are a junior. We need players of your caliber now. It's your choice, do you want to play now or wait 2 years.
Top teams would reply, yes, TN is in a building phase of their program, and they have been for a long time! Just look at the last few years Ws and Ls, if you are able to help turn their program around, that is all you'll be doing, you won't be playing for a NATY, and you won't be in the top 25. But with your sweat and blood, your injuries etc. you may be able to lay the ground work for guys that come after you. Those guys will really reap the benefit of your hard work-hell, if you're lucky, maybe one or two of them will send you a ticket to an NFL game so you can watch them play. Now on the other hand, we have a winning program NOW, come and play for us, we'll do what it takes to get you into top condition, and ready for Big Time College Ball, and if you have the stuff, the NFL.

Reactions: 08Vol
I think that is part of the problem. I haven’t seen any signs that our coach actually has a vision. I have seen a lot of questionable game plans and no 2nd half adjustments either. I just don’t think Pruitt is a ‘vision’ or ‘strategy’ guy. I really question whether he has the ability to coach up plays or change his philosophy a little bit to adapt to players strengths and weaknesses. If he can only be successful with 5 stars I’m not sure if I would classify him as a ‘coach’.
I’ve been on the fence concerning these coaches but for them to keep starting J.G. when they had a Brian Maurer. Well I’m sorry but that’s a big red flag. I understand we need bigger, faster, stronger guys, but daymm.

Many said the same thing last year and the class wound up pretty good. Just wait.

Many also said when CJP was hired it will take at least 4 years.

The ones that were against Pruitt from the beginning are going to get a bunch more bashing in until the worm turns.
It's going to and I'm just glad there's a few left that know it.

The ones that were against Pruitt from the beginning are going to get a bunch more bashing in until the worm turns.
This is year two, we've gone down hill, does this mean we'll need 4 more or 3 more?

Bad hair often means great player
Just as often it does not. In fact, it often means poor helmet fit, and forced- one play outs- due to loss of such. These "must sit one play out" times seem to happen at the worst possible moments.....just saying.

All we can do is throw money at kids and take what we can get this year. We really need to stack up on D-line this class. I think we are have decent talent across the board, but the D-Line is so atrocious that their play affects the rest of the team.

The worm already turned. It didn't go the way we wanted it to.

Just as often it does not. In fact, it often means poor helmet fit, and forced- one play outs- due to loss of such. These "must sit one play out" times seem to happen at the worst possible moments.....just saying.
Marquez C?

crotch jones built foundation on sand..it fell..people lost confidence (players/fans) new coach comes tries cleaning up..throws out broken materials and builds with whats left..starts ordering new material but can only order so much each year..but we want that **** built now..now fire him for not building a winning team from scrap ..."every other coach could"

lulz

The sad truth is the only way recruiting doesn’t take a huge hit this next cycle is for Pruitt to find a way to beat MSU, SCAR, UAB, UK, and Vandy. A strong finish shows that this team is getting better in year 2, instead of regressing.

A toxic culture with players fighting on the side line during a game (very different from fights during practice) is not a good look for recruits. Players being harassed by local police and media then kicked off the team for non violent or drug issues doesn’t look good to recruits. Players talking bad about the program before being kicked off the team doesn’t look good to recruits. A coach saying his current players aren’t good enough to win during half time of a nationally televised game doesn’t look good to recruits.

Yeah, I dont see, "Come to UT and help us beat Vandy this time" being very appealing to 4 and 5* recruits.

Reactions: 08Vol and JoAllan

VN Store

Back