Question for Vol lawyers on Solomon/Gibbs

Vfl2407

If the NCAA rules against them playing, why don’t we just say that we claim unequal treatment to others around the country and just play them this season anyway. Let them threaten to discount our wins this season. Who cares.

The NCAA is the ruling body of college football because all the schools agreed on it. The schools agreed that an organization should be formed to create and enforce rules over college athletics. If UT blatantly disregards their ruling then the NCAAA will void our wins and notify the athletic dept that the football team is disregarding their ruling. If the team continues to ignore the NCAA ruling the next step will be along the lines of bowl bans and scholarship reductions. If the athletic dept still ignores the ruling then the NCAA will consider the problem to be an institutional one and will ban their TV partners from broadcasting UT games. This final move will kill the football program as it takes tens of millions of dollars to operate and a lot of that money comes from TV contracts.

The NCAA is the ruling body of college football because all the schools agreed on it. The schools agreed that an organization should be formed to create and enforce rules over college athletics. If UT blatantly disregards their ruling then the NCAAA will void our wins and notify the athletic dept that the football team is disregarding their ruling. If the team continues to ignore the NCAA ruling the next step will be along the lines of bowl bans and scholarship reductions. If the athletic dept still ignores the ruling then the NCAA will consider the problem to be an institutional one and will ban their TV partners from broadcasting UT games. This final move will kill the football program as it takes tens of millions of dollars to operate and a lot of that money comes from TV contracts.

well that's a proper answer, any chance you could "pop" over the pond and represent us with Brexit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doug Matthews made an interesting point on Wednesday: it seems that players who hire attorneys get quick decisions on their appeals. Sometimes their attorneys are paid by the institution. The NCAA does not want to litigate. I have no way of knowing the validity of that claim.

Doug Matthews made an interesting point on Wednesday: it seems that players who hire attorneys get quick decisions on their appeals. Sometimes their attorneys are paid by the institution. The NCAA does not want to litigate. I have no way of knowing the validity of that claim.
1000% correct.

I can just see NCAA staff meetings: "So and so hired a lawyer, so let's go ahead and improve that ONE...hey Pete, where do we stand on that investigation, where a UT recruit picked up a Vols car magnet that fell off Pruitts car and he says he forgot to give it back to him... this reminds me of the "Hot Dog Bruce" case...Pruitt will be doing color on ESPN in no time."

The thing I don't understand is why it takes so long to rule? Seriously, just how many cases to they have? How long does it take to review the situation and rule? Seems like they could knock out a ton of their transfer cases in a single morning. Do they have some sort of quarterly/semiannual meeting to review and rule? Maybe that's the delay?

Given that these kids and their futures are on hold, one would think the NCAA would place a priority on clearing those cases up promptly. Maybe focus on that instead of worrying about a coach congratulating his old HS on twitter?

The thing I don't understand is why it takes so long to rule? Seriously, just how many cases to they have? How long does it take to review the situation and rule? Seems like they could knock out a ton of their transfer cases in a single morning. Do they have some sort of quarterly/semiannual meeting to review and rule? Maybe that's the delay?

Given that these kids and their futures are on hold, one would think the NCAA would place a priority on clearing those cases up promptly. Maybe focus on that instead of worrying about a coach congratulating his old HS on twitter?
Good question. I’ve wondered the same thing. I can’t imagine that there’s more than 20-30 cases each year. You’d think they could have a ruling within a few weeks.

They didnt mind litigation from the GA TE trying to go to Illinois or wherever. The NCAA only approves the big name transfers and schools. If you arent on that short list you dont get approved and dont find out for months.

Reactions: TJSVOLS
Good question. I’ve wondered the same thing. I can’t imagine that there’s more than 20-30 cases each year. You’d think they could have a ruling within a few weeks.
I saw some numbers on the situation can't recall the exact amount but it was significantly higher than that. Be cognizant that NCAA covers all scholarship sports. There are requests for more than just Football and MBB.

It's not as common in all sports but in football transfers are a normal thing at all schools. I am in my 40's and can't remember a single year we didn't have multiple transfers. Especially with power 5 schools transfers are common bi-directionally. In recent years waiver requests are also more common. What's really changed is transfers used to very rarely be done laterally. Kids transfered from big school to small for PT in the vast majority of cases. Most still go that way but the numbers are shifting.

Hurds situation was actually precedent setting and very visible. I'm sure it's not the first time a guy transfered from a school changed positions and still got drafted. But I'm hard pressed to think of one. It was so visible because of how out there it was and at the same time his backup is blowing up in the NFL, his former head coach is not only immediately a former head coach but also meme central. It wasn't a reason but trust me it greatly contributed to a lot of kids in multiple sports thinking a bit more about their own situations. CBJ isn't the first coach to fail to follow through on recruiting promises.

The NCAA is an organization based on bureaucracy to the nth decree and one thing bureaucrats love us red tape because it dissuades people trying. When people are not scared away by red tape files pile up on desks and bureaucrats get sad. They want less waiver requests coming in period because it's work.

Last edited:

Violations like that congratulating a coach's old HS on a great season is so picky and stupid, but you can play QB and win a National Championship and Heisman b/c
NCAA said no major violations ………………..YEAH

I saw some numbers on the situation can't recall the exact amount but it was significantly higher than that. Be cognizant that NCAA covers all scholarship sports. There are requests for more than just Football and MBB.

It's not as common in all sports but in football transfers are a normal thing at all schools. I am in my 40's and can't remember a single year we didn't have multiple transfers. Especially with power 5 schools transfers are common bi-directionally. In recent years waiver requests are also more common. What's really changed is transfers used to very rarely be done laterally. Kids transfered from big school to small for PT in the vast majority of cases. Most still go that way but the numbers are shifting.

Hurds situation was actually precedent setting and very visible. I'm sure it's not the first time a guy transfered from a school changed positions and still got drafted. But I'm hard pressed to think of one. It was so visible because of how out there it was and at the same time his backup is blowing up in the NFL, his former head coach is not only immediately a former head coach but also meme central. It wasn't a reason but trust me it greatly contributed to a lot of kids in multiple sports thinking a bit more about their own situations. CBJ isn't the first coach to fail to follow through on recruiting promises.

The NCAA is an organization based on bureaucracy to the nth decree and one thing bureaucrats love us red tape because it dissuades people trying. When people are not scared away by red tape files pile up on desks and bureaucrats get sad. They want less waiver requests coming in period because it's work.
Good points. I was thinking football but with all the sports there’s probably a lot more.

The NCAA cartel was created by the presidents of the schools to protect their own self interests...FYI it’s not the student athletes

Reactions: timmessee

Here are 247 sports links to the men's basketball and football transfer portals just as an example as to the actual quantity of student-athletes in them. As you can see, not all s-a's in the portals have actually transferred to another school yet, and many who have, have not been ruled on by the NCAA in the eligible column. Extrapolate to all sports, and we can get an idea of total volume of s-a's involved. I dislike the NCAA with a passion, but thought these numbers would put things in perspective.
https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Basketball/TransferPortal/
https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/TransferPortal/

If the most powerful programs (OSU, Alabama, Georgia, Michigan, Texas, Clemson, Tennessee, Auburn, Florida, Oklahoma...….etc) got together and told the NCAA, "Screw you, we're starting a new ruling body", the NCAA would cave like Joe Biden.

What will be interesting is if/when the People’s Republic Of Kalifornia passes the threatened legislation allowing athletes to get paid in that state.

Pretty much did that in the 80’s so the conferences could get the TV money by signing their own contracts without NCAA approval.

Here are 247 sports links to the men's basketball and football transfer portals just as an example as to the actual quantity of student-athletes in them. As you can see, not all s-a's in the portals have actually transferred to another school yet, and many who have, have not been ruled on by the NCAA in the eligible column. Extrapolate to all sports, and we can get an idea of total volume of s-a's involved. I dislike the NCAA with a passion, but thought these numbers would put things in perspective.
https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Basketball/TransferPortal/
https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/TransferPortal/
Thanks. I had no idea there were that many transfers. Since the NCAA has complicated this by granting those exceptions, no wonder it takes so long.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
If the most powerful programs (OSU, Alabama, Georgia, Michigan, Texas, Clemson, Tennessee, Auburn, Florida, Oklahoma...….etc) got together and told the NCAA, "Screw you, we're starting a new ruling body", the NCAA would cave like Joe Biden.
I think behind close doors they have told them that. Not to the major violation type stuff, but the silly stupid rules they have are just flat out ignorant. Nobody cares if Pruitt or any other coach congratulates his alma mater high school for success. It's beyond stupid. GBO!

That was a self reported violation. If it wasn’t reported the NCAA probably wouldn’t have noticed. Schools do things like that to show that they are following the rules, normally to ensure larger rule breaks aren’t investigated. When the LSU basketball coach popped up in the FBI’s case the university immediately suspended him. Fans were pissed but they missed the bigger point. LSU happily sacrificed a basketball coach if it means the NCAA didn’t send investigators to Baton Rouge where an in-depth investigation probably uncovers something damning to the football program

VN Store

Back