Question for those with a football background

Helton1

I don’t have a background outside of playing Madden and watching football the last 20 years...what is the defensive thought on this play? The alignment doesn’t make sense to me. 3rd and 9 and the middle of the field looks wide open.

Attachments

• 5C2FD3BD-FCEE-4497-AE04-907BD77845B4.jpeg
    5C2FD3BD-FCEE-4497-AE04-907BD77845B4.jpeg
    258.6 KB · Views: 75
I don’t have a background outside of playing Madden and watching football the last 20 years...what is the defensive thought on this play? The alignment doesn’t make sense to me. 3rd and 9 and the middle of the field looks wide open.

I'm also a little concerned. One of our defensive backs is only 8 yards off his man. :rolleyes:

Sometimes the coaches just outsmart themselves. What they think is intuitive cannot be translated into tangible specifics the kids can understand. I’ve seen this way too many times in zone defenses. The kids get so tied up in their zones they forget to actually cover anyone. I watched several of our DBs not even attempt to cover the Bama receivers while they were clearly in their zone. I’m not a fan of zone defenses, but it has to be conveyed you cover the man in your zone until the transfer from one zone to another can take place.

BTW, I have no football experience either, but I played enough sandlot and rugby (26 years) to know this much.

The thought on this alignment is not to prevent the first down, it’s to prevent a 45 yard completion for a TD.

It appears to me like Tennessee is saying" We dare you to run a slant route"
But I claim to be no expert.

One thing is for sure....
The Alabama players are sure pissed at Saban for the pity the other team game plan.
Damn coach!! We could have scored 45 more points. Padded our stats.
Damn coach!!! We could have had 12 sacks and 6 interceptions if you had let us blitz.
We were nothing but a scrimmage game for Alabama.

Reactions: OrangeTsar
I'm also a little concerned. One of our defensive backs is only 8 yards off his man. :rolleyes:
Remember that time at bandcamp when the new coach was making fun of the hornblower during his introduction press conference. "We are not going to play receivers ten yards off the line"
Coach is a man of his word.
It is only 8 yards now.

Reactions: Volatility

VN Store

Back