Question for former UT alumni.

Hard to compare teams and eras, but I will say that in the 50 years as a student/alumnus/fan I have never seen such bad sustained quarterback play as the last three years.

Reactions: Plecoptera
Do you recall the Vol football team to ever be any worse predicament than it is currently?
Probably 1963. Bowden Wyatt had gone 12-16-3 in the SEC the prior 4 years. He was an alcoholic who was kicked up to AD for 1963. His mentor, Gen Neyland, had died. Jim McDonald was coach for one season. Thank God Robert Woodruff returned to UT as AD and hired an umknown assistant coach from Arkansas... Doug Dickey.

Reactions: lefthander and AM64
The late Battle years were my thought, too. Those were like thinking we'd reached the bottom of the hole and realizing it was still a lot deeper. Battle was a good guy, became a very good Bama AD, but he just couldn't coach ... or recruit.
That is exactly the time I thought of, as our worst period in my memory -- I started following Vols about 65 or 66.

We knew Battle needed to go, but it was more painful cause he was a nice guy, just in over his head.

Even the early Majors years weren't too scary, because he had won big before and we knew he could and would again. Plus, he started recruiting big right away.

I feel like our current team has talent. We'll weather through whatever penalties, and move onwards and upwards.

Reactions: AM64
I am an alum from the 70's and I second Pride85's post above. There have been several times the FB program has hit stretches of bad to mediocre FB. This is by no means the worst, yet. I don't think the fire Pruitt crowd is accepting how bad the program Pruitt inherited was. Of course the total collapse of JG was unexpected and has just added to Pruitt's rebuild process. I truly believe better days are ahead.

If you are talking about administrative incompetence, and a seeming obsession with making really dumb choices? I would think the last fifteen years have been a farce. Personally, I think things might have operated better if a local mafia ran it.

Reactions: lefthander
I was a freshman in 1988....loved UT football my whole life. Wow, what a start.....taught me how to drink, that's for d@mn sure lol!!!

Outside of if 2009, 2015, 2016, 2019 its been tough a dumpster fire. I would say the past 15 years has been the longest stretch to mediocre to bad football.

What year was it where we had either the punt return or kickoff play, I forget which where we missed on 15 or 20 tackles on one play? Yes, some players whiffed twice, we looked like the Keystone Cops of college football on that play.

For me that was our lowest point ever. Back to back losses to Vandy comes close though.

So UT has an alumni portal?
Yes! If you are an Alumni and wish to use the transfer portal? I can make it happen 👍 DM me your info and put $1000 into my PayPal acct: I will take your info and send you thru the Portal to be an Alumni of any school you wish😉

Reactions: Tombo7

VN Store

Back