Question for former UT alumni.

No.

This is the worst ever. Those old examples are different in that we would either allow a coach the opportunity to rebuild or allow a new coach to be hired from a set of candidates who weren't afraid the fans would trash them to Bolivian for losing a game.

We can't recover because our fan base won't allow it.

Do you recall the Vol football team to ever be any worse predicament than it is currently?
I was a freshman in ‘88-‘89. We had an abysmal 0-5 start, and I never felt that we were as far down as we are now. In fact the second half of the season started a pretty good run.

No....but I do remember when the Gators were winless when the Gators were on probation and Charlie Pell tried to committee suicide

I don’t think you can compare past eras to the current environment as far as recruiting, lower level programs competing due to TV money, and the overall amount of money involved for coaches, schools, boosters and players.

However, this team would be multiple W’s better if we simply had a quality DL and QB. OL is improving and there’s talent on campus to develop. I think DL will be better next year but still lack high end talent. QB is an obvious problem. JMO

Reactions: lefthander
I am an alum from the 70's and I second Pride85's post above. There have been several times the FB program has hit stretches of bad to mediocre FB. This is by no means the worst, yet. I don't think the fire Pruitt crowd is accepting how bad the program Pruitt inherited was. Of course the total collapse of JG was unexpected and has just added to Pruitt's rebuild process. I truly believe better days are ahead.

Well, that's the good news! No where but up from this point... Give Pruitt about six to ten more years and he might have a 6-6 season.

This team has more sissy's than the YWCA and until Pruitt can clean house and recruit well enough to be competitive he will remain the Bamma Bumpkin transplant

To the OP's original question: This is the worst I've seen.

I grew up in Knoxville. I'm 44 years old and was a freshman at UT in 1993. Between changing majors and working in between semesters, I graduated in the spring of 1999. During that span, I saw the Lady Vols win 3 straight national titles. I literally never missed a single home football game. Tickets were included as part of the student fees. I don't know if that's still true now. Here was Tennessee's record while I was in school:

1993: 10-2
1994: 8-4
1995: 11-1
1996: 10-2
1997: 11-2
1998: 13-0

I remember the atmosphere going to games. I remember meeting students from out of state or from different countries who didn't know what a "Vol" was, some who didn't even know a thing about football. They went to games with their friends simply because it was like going to a free rock concert. I would be with friends and look around and see fellow engineering students, even a few who I knew were from China and they would be yelling and hollering at the field and I knew they didn't have a clue what was going on, they just knew we were winning and really good and they were having a great time. Imagine walking to every home game with the feeling that, maybe with the exception of the Florida game, there wasn't a question of whether we were going to win, but how bad we were going to beat the other team.

We all know what happened in '98. Even back then, we had "NegaVols" who didn't appreciate Fulmer. I remember going on a golf trip with my dad and a bunch of our friends, older "fans" who bashed Fulmer and his "soft zone" defense kept us from getting to the top. This was right before the 1998 season. I remember all kinds of people who were so happy that we finally beat the gators, but just KNEW we would find a way to screw up the season and lose one game before bowl season. We didn't realize Tee Martin was going to be as steady as he was, that Jeff Hall was so clutch, that losing Jamal Lewis (Houston) was going to be no big deal and Travis Henry was going to fill in the gap just fine.

I feel I was one of the few against firing Fulmer in 2008. Not because he was doing such a bad job, but because I didn't think there were any good candidates on the table. I said, "It's too big a risk." "Yeah, but we need to make a change." "Yes, but the odds are the next guy could be worse." "Well, it can't get any worse now!"

But yes, this is the worst I've ever seen.

Reactions: Ratvol and AM64
How does one become a "former" graduate? Is not being a graduate similar to being a Marine, Blood, or Crip for instance in that once in never out? Know anybody contacting the University of Tennessee and having themselves removed from the list of official graduates?

Do you recall the Vol football team to ever be any worse predicament than it is currently?
Oh yeah. Bill Battle took a Doug Dickey program ranked number 4 to depths you can’t fathom. Took Majors 5 years to get it back to championship level. First Vandy loss I ever experienced.

Reactions: AM64

I grew up in Knoxville. I'm 44 years old and was a freshman at UT in 1993. Between changing majors and working in between semesters, I graduated in the spring of 1999. During that span, I saw the Lady Vols win 3 straight national titles. I literally never missed a single home football game. Tickets were included as part of the student fees. I don't know if that's still true now. Here was Tennessee's record while I was in school:

I remember the atmosphere going to games. I remember meeting students from out of state or from different countries who didn't know what a "Vol" was, some who didn't even know a thing about football. They went to games with their friends simply because it was like going to a free rock concert. I would be with friends and look around and see fellow engineering students, even a few who I knew were from China and they would be yelling and hollering at the field and I knew they didn't have a clue what was going on, they just knew we were winning and really good and they were having a great time. Imagine walking to every home game with the feeling that, maybe with the exception of the Florida game, there wasn't a question of whether we were going to win, but how bad we were going to beat the other team.

We all know what happened in '98. Even back then, we had "NegaVols" who didn't appreciate Fulmer. I remember going on a golf trip with my dad and a bunch of our friends, older "fans" who bashed Fulmer and his "soft zone" defense kept us from getting to the top. This was right before the 1998 season. I remember all kinds of people who were so happy that we finally beat the gators, but just KNEW we would find a way to screw up the season and lose one game before bowl season. We didn't realize Tee Martin was going to be as steady as he was, that Jeff Hall was so clutch, that losing Jamal Lewis (Houston) was going to be no big deal and Travis Henry was going to fill in the gap just fine.

I feel I was one of the few against firing Fulmer in 2008. Not because he was doing such a bad job, but because I didn't think there were any good candidates on the table. I said, "It's too big a risk." "Yeah, but we need to make a change." "Yes, but the odds are the next guy could be worse." "Well, it can't get any worse now!"

As I posted in another post Bill Battle took us to a low place that took Majors 5 years to dig out of and you could recruit more players than now. Also, Fulmer rode the Majors rebuild and won early and often. However, Fulmer won 0 championships after 98 and the team started sliding after 2001. Also, Spurrier was hired at Fla in 92 and elevated them, Bama hired Gene Stallings and we got left behind some in recruiting. Personally I thought Fulmer should have been put on notice or let go a couple of seasons before he was dismissed. Tn historically has been an 8-9 win program with the double digit seasons occasionally.

I was a freshman in 1991. The 90's were AWESOME.

As far as bad.... The Volshevick revolution over Schiano was the worst college PR black eye seen outside of Penn State or Michigan State. Then we get Pruitt and all he does is start JG. I feel a little better now. I think CJH's competency ceiling is far above anything UT has seen in over a decade.

VN Store

Back