Question about Too’Too and Crouch and the famous Transfer Portal.

I had a wife hit the transfer portal twenty years ago and I didn’t waste a minute wondering if she might reconsider...the act of hitting portal tells me that mentally these guys have moved on and would only come back if other plans fell through...that’s not the type players you want...

Reactions: A.J. and onevol74
I had a wife hit the transfer portal twenty years ago and I didn’t waste a minute wondering if she might reconsider...the act of hitting portal tells me that mentally these guys have moved on and would only come back if other plans fell through...that’s not the type players you want...
THIS all mother loving freaking day long. You don’t like the way I fold the sheets? Don’t sleep in em

"I’ve heard from multiple people that there is some smoke about Henry T possibly rolling back into town for spring ball next week. I’ll preface that he was thought to be returning in January and February but never did. This time, the smoke has come from different places so it makes me feel like it might be more real. Would be interesting if that is the case as how would his teammates react having missed winter workouts and it would put Josh Heupel in an interesting position." - Austin Price

Fascinating
Yeah, I heard that on VR2 today also.

As of now he remains in the portal and Tennessee has clearly been working as if they will not have him. Most (including us) have believed he was heading to Alabama, but that doesn’t seem as likely as it did a few weeks ago. We will see if he returns to Knoxville this weekend. Does he return with the idea of rejoining the team? Does he return to get some things? Does he not return at all? No one seems to really know what Henry and his family are thinking at this point.

Regardless of what To’o To’o does or doesn’t do, it doesn’t appear that Quarvaris Crouch is going to be a part of the Vols and the same goes for Shawn Shamburger.
Hubbs

"I’ve heard from multiple people that there is some smoke about Henry T possibly rolling back into town for spring ball next week. I’ll preface that he was thought to be returning in January and February but never did. This time, the smoke has come from different places so it makes me feel like it might be more real. Would be interesting if that is the case as how would his teammates react having missed winter workouts and it would put Josh Heupel in an interesting position." - Austin Price

Fascinating
His dad said it was a mistake coming here. The culture is too fragile to bring back someone that feels that way. Crouch hasn’t said much, so perhaps that’s a different matter.

Fascinating
This would be a great way to find team leaders, who tell him he’s made his decision; we’re rolling with the guys who didn’t leave.

Short term, we need players. But the culture is an even bigger problem by keeping guys that aren’t 100% on board. We need guys that work out, hit the books, study film, and are accountable to their teammates. And don’t forget enthusiastically selling the program to recruits.

Aside from the last year or two of the Jones regime,
our rosters have been split across two coaching staffs. We clearly have a lot of “Pruitt guys.” If they aren’t moving in the same direction CJH wants, they’re a distraction and an impediment to the program. We need players, but also a full cultural reboot.

TLO, I think there's a huge amount of change in our organization at the moment. It started when the investigation began, and won't finally settle down to some steady state level* until normal football traditions take over. Spring Camp will be a big part of that, fall camp even more, but when we start playing football, real games against other schools, that will shift all the energy from change toward the game. That's when the lads, and the coaches, and we fans, will stop thinking about change and start thinking about performance.

This situation with To'o To'o and Crouch, it's going to--one way or another--fit entirely in the period of change. Yes, those two lads have had questions about whether they should remain true to the Volunteers program. But they're not the only ones. Probably a high percentage of our current roster had some thoughts, some questions, and some leaned further out than others. We just didn't hear about them because they stopped one millimeter short of that portal. Or they considered change in a way that didn't involve the portal, like dropping football altogether.

We'll never know about them.

Point is, it's a period of change and we kind of have to put bookends around it. What happens in between the bookends, that's apart.

If To'o To'o, or Crouch, or any others who considered leaving instead decide to stay, and their coaches and teammates are alright with them, we ought to be alright with them as well. Because those guys all know a lot more of the specifics than we do.

I'm just going to trust the team to get it right, and support whoever's wearing orange come that first game of the 2021 season.

Go Vols!

* there's constantly change in every organization, but usually it runs at a very low simmer...that's what we're moving back toward

VN Store

Back