Question about Milton’s long run

OrangeTsar

Alabama delenda est
In the Game Saturday, Milton broke free for that long run and got down to about the five before being tackled. That was when the Offense basically self destructed and we were fortunate to wind up with a 47 yard field goal. That just felt very familiar to the last couple of seasons. It seems like UT might be some sort of national leader in terms of number of long gains to set up first and goals that go nowhere (or even backwards). I can recall several instances where JG completed a deep throw or Gray or Chandler almost reached the goal one and then the offense just couldn’t punch it in. So when Milton almost made it to paydirt I got this strange feeling of deja vu that turned out to be completed justified. At UT, you better complete the long gain or we are going back to the bench empty handed.
Does anyone have a stat for this? We gotta be one of the worst at it.

Reactions: JohnnyJava
In the Game Saturday, Milton broke free for that long run and got down to about the five before being tackled. That was when the Offense basically self destructed and we were fortunate to wind up with a 47 point field goal. That just felt very familiar to the last couple of seasons. It seems like UT might be some sort of national leader in terms of number of long gains to set up first and goals that go nowhere (or even backwards). I can recall several instances where JG completed a deep throw or Gray or Chandler almost reached the goal one and then the offense just couldn’t punch it in. So when Milton almost made it to paydirt I got this strange feeling of deja vu that turned out to be completed justified. At UT, you better complete the long gain or we are going back to the bench empty handed.

If we had made a 47 point field goal, I'm thinking we win that game.

In the Game Saturday, Milton broke free for that long run and got down to about the five before being tackled. That was when the Offense basically self destructed and we were fortunate to wind up with a 47 point field goal. That just felt very familiar to the last couple of seasons. It seems like UT might be some sort of national leader in terms of number of long gains to set up first and goals that go nowhere (or even backwards). I can recall several instances where JG completed a deep throw or Gray or Chandler almost reached the goal one and then the offense just couldn’t punch it in. So when Milton almost made it to paydirt I got this strange feeling of deja vu that turned out to be completed justified. At UT, you better complete the long gain or we are going back to the bench empty handed.
I wasn't celebrating that long run at all because of this! I was like damn... this TD is NOT guaranteed.

I think that BVS runs deep for some. Every penalty, QB questions, loss of yardage, sound bite from a presser, what shirts they are wearing, blah, blah, blah....all gets measured against the previous coach(es). It was dumb penalties that set us back on that drive.

I think that BVS runs deep for some. Every penalty, QB questions, loss of yardage, sound bite from a presser, what shirts they are wearing, blah, blah, blah....all gets measured against the previous coach(es). It was dumb penalties that set us back on that drive.
Agreed. My point is, we seem to ALWAYS find some dumb way to turn a first and goal into zero points (or sometimes even 6 points for our opponent). We are EXPERTS at shooting ourselves in the foot. You just made my point for me 😂

Agreed. My point is, we seem to ALWAYS find some dumb way to turn a first and goal into zero points (or sometimes even 6 points for our opponent). We are EXPERTS at shooting ourselves in the foot. You just made my point for me 😂

We were also first and goal three other times that day and punched it in each time.

And without watching film, I bet we ran it from shotgun.

Last edited:
If he switches the ball to his left (outside) hand like he's supposed to on a left sideline run, he could have easily stiffarmed his way to the cheggarboards.

In the Game Saturday, Milton broke free for that long run and got down to about the five before being tackled. That was when the Offense basically self destructed and we were fortunate to wind up with a 47 yard field goal. That just felt very familiar to the last couple of seasons. It seems like UT might be some sort of national leader in terms of number of long gains to set up first and goals that go nowhere (or even backwards). I can recall several instances where JG completed a deep throw or Gray or Chandler almost reached the goal one and then the offense just couldn’t punch it in. So when Milton almost made it to paydirt I got this strange feeling of deja vu that turned out to be completed justified. At UT, you better complete the long gain or we are going back to the bench empty handed.

Don’t have a stat but got the same feeling. I just knew there would be a false start penalty or a 4th down play at the goal line ….

iu

Vol fans could see the following at Neyland and be like, I freakin knew it! This kinda stuff ALWAYS happens to us!!!!!!
kPWi6F.gif

Reactions: OrangeTsar
If it can be screwed up, UT football will figure out a way to do it.

I swear once he got tackled I figured we would end up with a FG. Who would have thought it would have been worse than that.

That entire series illustrates the downfall of UT football encapsulated in a single series. Just getting in your own way to prevent your own success.

As Milton broke free down the sideline visions of Don Smith's run came to mind.
I quickly snapped back to reality. :oops:

Short field makes for tight windows for QBs. That was JGs issues. Not sure with Milton, yet!!!

Short field makes for tight windows for QBs. That was JGs issues. Not sure with Milton, yet!!!
Well, I was actually talking about Tennessee as a program, not just JG or Milton at quarterback. We have blown first and goal in almost every way conceivable I think. I don’t think we have physically set the ball on fire yet on first and goal but the season is still young 😂

VN Store

Back