Quarterbacks that we totally whiffed on?

Not to get lost in the weeds but I just want to add I am surprised Hunter has not found more success. I started watching him really close after he committed to us. The kid had a lot of potential and I was disheartened when he broke the commitment to go to Clemson. Maybe we dodged a bullet there.

You can't take away games from the season stats. Lmao.

Hunter Johnson has been so bad that even in that hypothetical situation JG has still been much better.

The lengths some of you stretch to act like he is the worst D1 qB is sad.
I don't count stats against FCS schools because that's all he has this year. He might not be the worst in the country but he is bottom 4 in the conference. The guy isn't a winner, period

And you want to talk about going to lengths, what about all these pointless stats for JG some of you use to praise him? It's like in baseball, well ktownking is batting .300 in games on Tuesday played on even numbered days starting after 7pm with temps over 70 degrees.

The guy personally isn't a loser but the guy as a QB is a loser.

Last edited:
Reactions: cbatey1 and jacvols
Tate Martell and Hunter Johnson are terrible.
Y'all want to bash JG but want these bums? LMAO

Hunter Johnson
48% 367 yards 4.1 ypa 1TD 4 ints 77.7 qB rating

Qb play could be much worse with one of these guys.

We weren't getting Hurts, Fields, or Eason.

True, but as I said last year, JG is not a great QB, he is average at best, cant read blitz, over throws a lot of targets, and rushes too much. He has not shown any improvements from last season. Not sure what that says for our other QBs, but surely they were both 4 star if I recall, have some talent. I would rather build on one of those than live with another year of JG, and next year too. Sorry, but he isnt good enough, and this weekend will show how bad he really is. If Ga. State hit the QB and rushed him, what do you think UGA is going to do. I dont know, maybe I just dont see it. Jim was able to perfect a typical pocket QB and made them really good, JG is not a pocket QB, not sure what he is, since he isnt a dual threat either. I wished we would put all efforts into a top 5 QB that is a Manning type QB and go after him with all we have. Then the other players will come. It ticks me off to see all these top QBs go to Ala, Ga, Fla, Texas A&M, and the Pac 12 schools, and they are 3 deep knowing they may not get to play until their senior year, and here we are needing a starting QB now, they wont touch us.

Pruitt had 2 recruiting classes and this is what we have at QB? Maybe if he would have got his lazy rear end up here instead of helping Saban in the playoffs maybe he could have got somebody in the first class.............year 2 no excuse for not getting a good one. Not to mention the transfer portal!

were we going after Justin Fields hard? Or did we think he was a sure GA lock?
uh yea...........Fields family said that the coaches forgot about him on his recruiting trip and potentially forgot his name. Field liked UT, but felt offended after the fumbled recruiting trip

Pruitt had 2 recruiting classes and this is what we have at QB? Maybe if he would have got his lazy rear end up here instead of helping Saban in the playoffs maybe he could have got somebody in the first class.............year 2 no excuse for not getting a good one. Not to mention the transfer portal!

Pruitt signed a qb in each of those classes dude. J. T. Strout in 2018 and Brian Maurer in 2019 and Keller Chryst via the transfer portal in 2018. So 3 qb's in a year and 3 months of recruiting. One every 5 months.

Most qb's commit while they are juniors if not earlier.

I agree with Trevor Lawrence and Martinez. Not sure we overlooked Fields, but I don't remember all the details of his recruitment. How about Penix who seems to be doing pretty well at Indiana University?
Yes, Butch Jones told him to pound sand.

True, but as I said last year, JG is not a great QB, he is average at best, cant read blitz, over throws a lot of targets, and rushes too much. He has not shown any improvements from last season. Not sure what that says for our other QBs, but surely they were both 4 star if I recall, have some talent. I would rather build on one of those than live with another year of JG, and next year too. Sorry, but he isnt good enough, and this weekend will show how bad he really is. If Ga. State hit the QB and rushed him, what do you think UGA is going to do. I dont know, maybe I just dont see it. Jim was able to perfect a typical pocket QB and made them really good, JG is not a pocket QB, not sure what he is, since he isnt a dual threat either. I wished we would put all efforts into a top 5 QB that is a Manning type QB and go after him with all we have. Then the other players will come. It ticks me off to see all these top QBs go to Ala, Ga, Fla, Texas A&M, and the Pac 12 schools, and they are 3 deep knowing they may not get to play until their senior year, and here we are needing a starting QB now, they wont touch us.
I don't count stats against FCS schools because that's all he has this year. He might not be the worst in the country but he is bottom 4 in the conference. The guy isn't a winner, period

And you want to talk about going to lengths, what about all these pointless stats for JG some of you use to praise him? It's like in baseball, well ktownking is batting .300 in games on Tuesday played on even numbered days starting after 7pm with temps over 70 degrees.

The guy personally isn't a loser but the guy as a QB is a loser.
Typical ignorant JG bashers.

JG isn't playing great. He isn't bottom 4 in the SEC though. Numbers say 5-7 range. Good try though.

Both of the other guys are three stars.

We did not tell Trevor Lawrence we did not want him. He idolized Peyton Manning and wanted to come here and was committed until he visited Clemson and Dabo convinced him to go there.
Same thing for Hunter Johnson he was committed to us and de-committed and went to Clemson. Not because we said we didn't want him Clemson talked them into going there.
Penix was committed and he had a knee injury in high school and there was concern there. They did pull back on him.
Adrian Martinez was committed and Scott Frost convinced him he was perfect for his system and talked him into going to Nebraska. We did not tell him to look else where.
Austin Kendall was committed to us and decommited to go to Oklahoma and after not getting to play he transferred to West Virginia and is starting there now. Again we did not tell him we didn't want him Lincoln Riley convinced him to go there.

Now Kiffen did tell Taj Boyd and Bryce Petty who Fulmer had committed to us that they should consider looking around so Boyd went to Clemson and Petty to Baylor.

We lost several guys who were verbally committed to us but it was because other coaches talked them into going there no we told them we didn't want them. Yes, we had verbals from Lawrence, Martinez, Kendall and Johnson but all decommited by their choice and all are starting somewhere else today but 2 of them transferred from the school they enrolled at after decommiting from us.

Typical ignorant JG bashers.

JG isn't playing great. He isn't bottom 4 in the SEC though. Numbers say 5-7 range. Good try though.

Both of the other guys are three stars.
So, JG is supposedly a 4 star although his high school STATS ( isn't that what you like to point to, is stats? ) say he's a 3 star average QB. And we're getting about the same amount of production out of him. What's his record? Whats his record against Vandy? The guy isn't going to win games with his arm and he sure as hell isn't going to win games with his legs. He's not a game manager because he doesn't understand the game going on around him, he is confused and the game is moving too fast for him.

Here's some high school stats for you, these are Josh Dobb's senior year of high school stats
392 294 3113 29 200 2
PA PC YDS TDS Rush Rush Tds

Dobbs played 6A in Georgia, JG played private school ball in Jersey. Something doesnt add up, Dobbs out produced JG in 1 year of high school ball. Someone's daddy made some phone calls

Last edited:
Might have to add the qb at UNC Howell from last years class.

Thats not true. We wanted Lawrence but Clemson out recruited us, its as simple as that. Our product on the field and BJ scared him off of coming here.
Your statement is not true. Butch told him he didn't fit our system. His parents were season ticket holders. His hero was and still is Peyton. Butch told him he didn't fit our system.

Reactions: Volsfaninva917
You can't take away games from the season stats. Lmao.

Hunter Johnson has been so bad that even in that hypothetical situation JG has still been much better.

The lengths some of you stretch to act like he is the worst D1 qB is sad.

Gonna lay this out real simple-like. Analytics, if relied upon as a sole basis, will get you beat.

JG has decent analytics. He is a good kid. Smart. Excellent scholastically.

But he is a lousy gameday QB. He cannot:

1. Read a blitz
2. Recognize coverages.
3. Lead a receiver OUT of coverage
4. Throw a dump pass at anything less than 128 miles per hour.
5. Complete a pass longer than 15 yards unless the DB blows coverage, and the WR is able to double back and get the underthrown ball
6. Motivate his team in critical situations.

But, his completion % looks decent, he has a low INT ratio, an such. So, hey, overlook all of the above issues, none of which are covered by metrics, and declare him a top level SEC QB. That is exactly what all the analytic dumb&^%$ were doing pre-season, and what some of them are still doing.

VN Store

Back