QB Jamie Newman Transfers to Georgia

DiderotsGhost

We've gotten a lot of good news this week with Trey Smith, Cimaglia, V. Jones, and some others. However, Georgia just got tougher:

Wake Forest QB Jamie Newman Transfers to Georgia

I get that he wants to play for a big-time program and have a shot at making the playoff, but for the life of me, I still don't see why anyone would leave Dave Clawson's excellent coaching staff to go to the offensive mess at UGa. Think he would've been better off at Oregon or Washington.

The supposed reasoning was that pro scouts wanted to see him outside of an RPO offense. This is interesting since Georgia's offense may not be playing to his strengths. Indeed, one thing about Clawson is that he is excellent about building teams around his players' strengths, so he'll now go to an offense that could potentially be the reverse. Nevertheless, he is an excellent QB.

Regardless, our game versus Georgia next season could be very interesting. It's now in mid-November, rather than September or early October. Both teams could look quite a bit different by then, particularly on offense.

We've gotten a lot of good news this week with Trey Smith, Cimaglia, V. Jones, and some others. However, Georgia just got tougher:

I get that he wants to play for a big-time program and have a shot at making the playoff, but for the life of me, I still don't see why anyone would leave Dave Clawson's excellent coaching staff to go to the offensive mess at UGa. Think he would've been better off at Oregon or Washington.

The supposed reasoning was that pro scouts wanted to see him outside of an RPO offense. This is interesting since Georgia's offense may not be playing to his strengths. Indeed, one thing about Clawson is that he is excellent about building teams around his players' strengths, so he'll now go to an offense that could potentially be the reverse. Nevertheless, he is an excellent QB.

Regardless, our game versus Georgia next season could be very interesting. It's now in mid-November, rather than September or early October. Both teams could look quite a bit different by then, particularly on offense.
I'm not that concerned..he struggled against good teams...less than 50% completion in losses 20200111_014311.jpg

I'm not that concerned..he struggled against good teams...less than 50% completion in losses

His passing stats were comparable to Fromm's with a much weaker supporting cast; and what makes him scary is more his ability to improvise and pick up yards running. He's not quite Josh Dobbs good as a runner, but he may be a better passer than Dobbs.

I don't think there's any question that he's a very good QB. Only question is how will he look in Georgia's more pro-style offense rather than Clawson's RPO offense that was likely built around him.

He throws deep off play action. His highlights are him throwing deep. He played acc which is pathetic football so hard to get a real idea other than he's fast but not Lamar Jackson speed. His arm is good but no reads in their system, just play action and launch to the wr already in view. Either ga will have to replicate wf offense or they will have to hope he can read defenses. Against similar talent in Acc he struggled. Tighter windows in the Sec. He has to play us, Florida, at Bama, Auburn.

His passing stats were comparable to Fromm's with a much weaker supporting cast; and what makes him scary is more his ability to improvise and pick up yards running. He's not quite Josh Dobbs good as a runner, but he may be a better passer than Dobbs.

I don't think there's any question that he's a very good QB. Only question is how will he look in Georgia's more pro-style offense rather than Clawson's RPO offense that was likely built around him.

You can also argue he played a much easier schedule than Fromm tho.. the teams he lit up were Elon, Rice, Utah St, and NC State.

I guess we'll see how he does next year

You can also argue he played a much easier schedule than Fromm tho.. the teams he lit up were Elon, Rice, Utah St, and NC State.

I guess we'll see how he does next year

Correct good game planners in SEC will stump him, a one year starter
he was around 45% facing, all loses
Clemson Venerable
VT Bud Foster D
Syracuse Brian Ward D
Mich State Mike Tressel DC

Reactions: VAVol85
He'll arrive in Georgia, experience the Kirbyism Kollapse, after 3 or months enter the transfer portal. Then he's off to either Texas or the Kiffin Corner.

Surprised he didn't end up at Oklahoma

Oklahoma was after Jordan Love Utah State but i'm hearing he's declaring for NFL draft. Interested since we play Okie
It's ironic Love & Newman faced each other in a defenseless game 38 to 35 early in the year.

I'm not that concerned..he struggled against good teams...less than 50% completion in losses View attachment 253545
This. Before he announced Georgia, I was wondering what all the hype regarding this kid was. I think it's a dumb decision by Smart and reeks of desperation. What message are you sending to your QB room with this transfer? You can save this thread and quote me later. I hope he's the starter when we play Georgia.

Reactions: VolnJC
He's going to have a couple really good WRs to throw to if the line can keep him from getting sacked. LOL

Petersen just retired from Washington. That alone makes me believe they should call themselves Washington Light. next year. Just as Oregon has not been as dominate without Chip Kelly. Every year when the selection committee named the top 4, Pac12 Strength of Schedule and OOC choices seems to continue to make getting in tougher. I get your thinking, DG, but despite what is happening at UGA right now, that perception of the Pac12 is going to make even that cesspool more attractive than the Ducks or the Huskies.

A friend of mine who is a UGa grad and booster told me they were going to make a major overhaul to their offense this spring. He said it was going to be more rpo oriented to attract the dual threat qbs that they have missed on previously.

This. Before he announced Georgia, I was wondering what all the hype regarding this kid was. I think it's a dumb decision by Smart and reeks of desperation. What message are you sending to your QB room with this transfer? You can save this thread and quote me later. I hope he's the starter when we play Georgia.
UGA’s QB room is barren right now. They have Stetson bennet who was a walk-on, Dwan Mathis who is still isn’t cleared after having a cyst removed from his brain, Austin Kirksey who is another walk on, and a true freshman in Carson Beck. Newman is a better option than any of them and it isn’t close.

UGA’s QB room is barren right now. They have Stetson bennet who was a walk-on, Dwan Mathis who is still isn’t cleared after having a cyst removed from his brain, Austin Kirksey who is another walk on, and a true freshman in Carson Beck. Newman is a better option than any of them and it isn’t close.
Then UGa is screwed

He had two big receivers to throw to at WF. Will be interesting to see how he does with young receivers next season.

Reactions: FBtime
A friend of mine who is a UGa grad and booster told me they were going to make a major overhaul to their offense this spring. He said it was going to be more rpo oriented to attract the dual threat qbs that they have missed on previously.

They got fields? They didnt miss on anyone. They chose fromm over fields.

They got fields? They didnt miss on anyone. They chose fromm over fields.
Fields leaving and the struggles they have had this year are the reason why. He said that's why Fromm left despite a poor draft grade.They told him that they were making the change.

I guess I assumed Georgia recruited better. I also did not know that Mathis wasn't cleared. I think Beck can start from day one. If I'm Georgia, I throw him into the fire and will take my lumps for a year to give him the experience.

VN Store

Back