'22 QB IN Tayven Jackson (Tennessee signee)

Why is that funny?
What qualities separate him from the rest of the pack?

Arm strength? Salter>
Speed? Hooker, Salter>
Accuracy? Salter, Bailey, Hooker>
Leadership? Bailey and Hooker seem to have the leg up on him and Salter.
Experience? Hooker>, and Bailey is very close to having the same if he doesn’t already
Size? Everyone else has him in that department
Intangibles/Footwork? Bailey>
Health? Every game Maurer has started he’s gotten injured. Odd frame for a QB.
Ball security? This is one of the only traits he seems to be on par with the rest (Salter threw a decent amount of picks in HS, Hooker has a fumbling problem, Bailey had multiple fumbles and an INT I think) but even then, he couldn’t surpass JG in 2019 season because he had 5 turnovers in about 5 quarters of play.

Arm strength? Salter>
Speed? Hooker, Salter>
Experience? Hooker>, and Bailey is very close to having the same if he doesn’t already
Ball security? This is one of the only traits he seems to be on par with the rest (Salter threw a decent amount of picks in HS, Hooker has a fumbling problem, Bailey had multiple fumbles and an INT I think) but even then, he couldn’t surpass JG in 2019 season because he had 5 turnovers in about 5 quarters of play.
Heupel said that the ability to recognize defenses and quickly get the team into the right play was the key to his QB having success. TBH, I don't know if any of them have that ability. Maurer's arm seemed plenty good in the limited time fans got to see him. He showed good enough foot speed to make the defense have to account for him. Players seem to respect him and ge supports his teammates, sometimes to a fault on Twitter. He took some licks when he should have laid down, but those were hustle mistakes IMO. Maybe not a world beater, but the boy can play. If coaches decide he is mentally tough enough to be QB, the physical part seems to be there.

I think some of you could be sleeping on Maurer. This is a completely different coaching staff with a different offensive philosophy. Maurer could end up being the starter.
Mauer is QB3 at best. Seems like a good kid, but I would be highly surprised if he ever started here again without some injuries happening.

Arm strength? Salter>
Nope. In fact of the 4 at this point he probably has the weakest arm. He needs development. Maurer leads in terms of pure arm strength. Hooker and Bailey look similar.
Speed? Hooker, Salter>
Again, if you time their 40's you have either Maurer or Salter as the fastest. Hooker has good running instincts but doesn't have great top end speed.
We don't know how accurate Salter will be in CFB. Maurer had a much higher completion % as a HS player than Salter as did Bailey. Hooker was around a 60% passer at VT. Bailey threw more short balls last year. He was very accurate with them. I believe he missed only two thrown less than 10 yds. His pass % past 15 yds was similar to Maurer as a Fr.
Based on? When Maurer was healthy and went in as a Fr, the team responded. I confess to having no insider connections or knowledge as to whether one or another is respected more by the team. We'll have to let that play out.
The only one that has experience that matters is Hooker. HB and BM have barely gotten their feet wet and played for a coach whose offensive philosophy came directly out of the 1980's.
Did you put any effort at all into checking your facts before making this post or did you just rely on your hatred of the kid? Maurer is a legit 6'3" or 6'4". He weighs 205 or a bit more. He's gained 10-15 lbs since arriving which is about normal.. Salter is 6'1", 190. Hooker is 10 lbs heavier than Maurer. Bailey is the biggest but also the least mobile at 6'5" 220.
"Intangibles" based on what other than you bias? HB got very good coaching as a young guy. He does fundamental things very well. He has not yet shown the ability to throw off platform in college. Hooker and to a lesser degree Maurer have.
True. Many acknowledge that he could be injury prone. However the head injury that led to the others was just a freak play that had nothing to do with him being injury prone.
We don't have enough information on any except Hooker in that regard.

I can pull for any of these guys. I want a great competition that produces the best QB.... and MUCH better play than we've seen for the last 4 years. But you are writing off the guy who has the most physical ability in the group.

I have said multiple times though.... the guy who emerges may not be the guy with the most physical ability. It will come down to command of the O, decisions, and delivering the ball on time and target. We have NOTHING to project which one that will be in Heupels system.

I think the mobility factor for QB is WAY overrated by posters in here. It’s a factor for sure, but further down the list than other attributes that coaches have openly talked about.
It’s a bonus. Best QB’s get the ball TO weapons...whilst recognizing what the defense is doing to prevent that.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
It’s a bonus. Best QB’s get the ball TO weapons...whilst recognizing what the defense is doing to prevent that.
For sure. When talking best mobile QBs of all time, one that never gets mentioned is John Elway. He was of course an excellent passing QB, but he was SO dangersous when coverage was good and he would tuck and run. Same for Steve Young.

On the other hand you have Tom Brady and Peyton Manning who are very immobile, but can slide enough in the pocket to extend a play and move the chains.

What all those QBs have in common though is quick decision making. That’s by in far #1 on the list for me on what you want.

For sure. When talking best mobile QBs of all time, one that never gets mentioned is John Elway. He was of course an excellent passing QB, but he was SO dangersous when coverage was good and he would tuck and run. Same for Steve Young.

On the other hand you have Tom Brady and Peyton Manning who are very immobile, but can slide enough in the pocket to extend a play and move the chains.

What all those QBs have in common though is quick decision making. That’s by in far #1 on the list for me on what you want.
I agree with everything, except: it's Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Manning always comes first. 🙂

Nope. In fact of the 4 at this point he probably has the weakest arm. He needs development. Maurer leads in terms of pure arm strength. Hooker and Bailey look similar.
Again, if you time their 40's you have either Maurer or Salter as the fastest. Hooker has good running instincts but doesn't have great top end speed.
We don't know how accurate Salter will be in CFB. Maurer had a much higher completion % as a HS player than Salter as did Bailey. Hooker was around a 60% passer at VT. Bailey threw more short balls last year. He was very accurate with them. I believe he missed only two thrown less than 10 yds. His pass % past 15 yds was similar to Maurer as a Fr.
Based on? When Maurer was healthy and went in as a Fr, the team responded. I confess to having no insider connections or knowledge as to whether one or another is respected more by the team. We'll have to let that play out.
The only one that has experience that matters is Hooker. HB and BM have barely gotten their feet wet and played for a coach whose offensive philosophy came directly out of the 1980's.
Did you put any effort at all into checking your facts before making this post or did you just rely on your hatred of the kid? Maurer is a legit 6'3" or 6'4". He weighs 205 or a bit more. He's gained 10-15 lbs since arriving which is about normal.. Salter is 6'1", 190. Hooker is 10 lbs heavier than Maurer. Bailey is the biggest but also the least mobile at 6'5" 220.
"Intangibles" based on what other than you bias? HB got very good coaching as a young guy. He does fundamental things very well. He has not yet shown the ability to throw off platform in college. Hooker and to a lesser degree Maurer have.
True. Many acknowledge that he could be injury prone. However the head injury that led to the others was just a freak play that had nothing to do with him being injury prone.

We don't have enough information on any except Hooker in that regard.

I can pull for any of these guys. I want a great competition that produces the best QB.... and MUCH better play than we've seen for the last 4 years. But you are writing off the guy who has the most physical ability in the group.

I have said multiple times though.... the guy who emerges may not be the guy with the most physical ability. It will come down to command of the O, decisions, and delivering the ball on time and target. We have NOTHING to project which one that will be in Heupels system.

The problem with Maurer is mental. Composer and seeing the field. He looked like a wild deer running around under pressure and that’s something that’s very hard to teach. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if he makes it.

Reactions: xston

VN Store

Back