'22 QB IN Tayven Jackson (Tennessee signee)

After seeing what Heupel is doing with Hooker, QB evaluation by this staff is the last thing I am worried about.
I agree about how he's developed Hooker, but he didn't bring Hooker on board. His guy was Milton. I just can't shake that thought. The tools are there, but they've had no success getting him over whatever the issue is that plagues him. We need another qb from the portal to go with Jackson and the kid that came over from UCF. I'll be shocked if both Milton and Bailey aren't in the portal at season's end.

Reactions: chattavol420
I agree about how he's developed Hooker, but he didn't bring Hooker on board. His guy was Milton. I just can't shake that thought. The tools are there, but they've had no success getting him over whatever the issue is that plagues him. We need another qb from the portal to go with Jackson and the kid that came over from UCF. I'll be shocked if both Milton and Bailey aren't in the portal at season's end.

Did he go specifically looking for Milton or did he just accept his transfer? I know he recruited Milton at UCF. And who knows how he would have looked had he went to UCF instead of Michigan?

I don't think Milton was Huepels guy as much as he thought he couldn't afford to turn down any potentially good qb. Maybe he thought he could help him, at least he knows to change if it isn't working. He knows about offense and quarterbacks, I do believe that. Even if assessment of Milton was off, I think he will get it right more times than wrong. GBO!

I don't think Milton was Huepels guy as much as he thought he couldn't afford to turn down any potentially good qb. Maybe he thought he could help him, at least he knows to change if it isn't working. He knows about offense and quarterbacks, I do believe that. Even if assessment of Milton was off, I think he will get it right more times than wrong. GBO!

You may be right

He’s a COMMIT not an egg. But you have to take care of them just as carefully. You don’t throw a bunch on top of each other cuz they’ll all crack…and you get nothing! I don’t remember Howell’s commitment level to FSU but it seemed he was on omnipresent flip watch BEFORE Mack was hired in Chapel Hill. And it’s a stretch to compare the atmosphere and vibes surrounding Heupel and the ****show Taggart was running in Tallahassee. All that being said, Heupel hasn’t been caught without a plan B (or C and D for that matter) since his hire.
Could have fooled me

Milton is just a strange case. All the tools you could ever want - height, weight, speed, arm strength, and so on. It’s like his a build-a-player in a video game. He evidently is impressive in practice but not so much in games.

Who says it was off? I’m sure he saw a guy with tools and potential.
Most Guys with that can be developed to varying degrees by good QB coaches, but some just can’t.
I’m sure there’s no scientific way to tell which ones will work out and which ones won’t.
Only sure fire way is to try

Lol. He had 1 bad game.
He hasn’t got the job back has he?
A Hiesman front runner candidate to start the season, loses his job because he had 1 bad game to a freshman.
Sounds like there might be more to it.
Most coaches gonna give someone like that another chance to redeem himself

Here's the thing with Milton. Physically, he is the ideal QB for this offense and would have allowed Heupel to run his entire offense. I wouldn't close the book on Milton just yet. A competent and more accurate Joe Milton in this offense is a defensive coordinator's nightmare. It may never happen, but he has two more years of eligibility.

Just take a look at Harrison Bailey spring game hero against walk ons.vol fans are very high on him and Georgia/Chaney didn’t want him.If this staff wants this kid I’m all for it.

I agree. If he literally goose Milton we have to really question his ability to judge a qb. Milton was terrible at Michigan and obviously terrible here. He just doesn’t have it. To sum it up in a word I’d say pocket awareness/presence. Je can’t process all the information we’re at once. And that’s what a good qb had to do. Arm strength and other skills are great but completely worthless if you don’t have that pocket awareness and moxie. How does a supposed qb guru not understand this and why did we not have a proper competition for the job? We all asked when we saw Milton play how he beat out the others and then we immediately realized he didn’t “beat out” the others. He’d have never beaten out hooker in a legit competition. Milton was handed the job.

I agree. If he literally goose Milton we have to really question his ability to judge a qb. Milton was terrible at Michigan and obviously terrible here. He just doesn’t have it. To sum it up in a word I’d say pocket awareness/presence. Je can’t process all the information we’re at once. And that’s what a good qb had to do. Arm strength and other skills are great but completely worthless if you don’t have that pocket awareness and moxie. How does a supposed qb guru not understand this and why did we not have a proper competition for the job? We all asked when we saw Milton play how he beat out the others and then we immediately realized he didn’t “beat out” the others. He’d have never beaten out hooker in a legit competition. Milton was handed the job.
There were reports from multiple VFL's that get to attend practices and scrimmages that stated Milton won the job hands down. Why it didn't translate to actual games is a mystery. Most likely a case of the "yips". But, he definitely wasn't just handed the job. The same plays he grossly overthrew in games, he completed in scrimmages. He also ran the offense faster and more efficiently from those same reports. The kid is just an anomaly. So your summation of questioning Heupel's ability to evaluate is extremely off base. His track record with previous QB's kills that assumption anyway.

It can be difficult to understand, but sometimes you have a kid that possesses all the skills and can look like an absolute baller but when the lights are the brightest, the moment can be too big. I have zero doubt it’s a mental hurdle with Milton. He’s not able to analyze and execute during games bc he’s not handling the adrenaline and emotion of a real game. Some athletes feel the effects of those things more than others. It’s a real thing and it’s not that uncommon. They need to get Milton a sports psychologist if they ever wanna unlock his potential on game day.

It can be difficult to understand, but sometimes you have a kid that possesses all the skills and can look like an absolute baller but when the lights are the brightest, the moment can be too big. I have zero doubt it’s a mental hurdle with Milton. He’s not able to analyze and execute during games bc he’s not handling the adrenaline and emotion of a real game. Some athletes feel the effects of those things more than others. It’s a real thing and it’s not that uncommon. They need to get Milton a sports psychologist if they ever wanna unlock his potential on game day.
I think he is scared of getting hit..when real bullets are flying at you it changes everything for some guys.

I’ve been impressed with the way Hooker has developed under Hypel. He was hot garbage early and has turned it around big time. I’m not sure why fans think the same thing can’t happen with Milton given more time.
Not sure I agree that Hooker was ever "hot garbage", though I suppose that is a relative term.

I think it's based on the idea that both guys have had the exact same amount of time being coached by Heupel and his staff in this system.

One guy looks like an All-SEC caliber QB, and the other looks like he'd have trouble beating out Jarrett Guarantano in a QB competition.

One guy has shown himself to be extremely accurate, and the other lost his job, due in large part, to overthrowing wide-open receivers by 5-7 yards.

One guy has shown himself to be an extremely capable runner who puts it all out in the field for his team, and the other has shown that he's scared to get hit, to the detriment of his own team.

Why don't I believe it can happen for Milton? Because he has not shown a willingness to fight for his own team, let alone the QB job. He has Hooker in his way, this year and next, and I think he'll be recruited over in the meantime. Meaningful playing time, in his future, will likely be sought elsewhere. The writing is on the wall for him, I'm afraid. In addition to falling behind in the current battle, I think he lost the support of many of his teammates, as well.

Because Hooker isn't scared of getting hit.
The knock on Hooker from VT fans is that he panics in pressure time. He seems to have taken a big step towards getting over that. During ole mis the 3 plays before the 4th and 28 pass he looked panicked and scared. On 4th he calmed down and threw a strike. Then played solid again till the injury.
Milton threw a near perfect pass for what should have been the win before his bone headed mistake.
the point.
Hooker is the best option and has developed faster but Milton isn’t done yet even if his development has been slower.

Not sure I agree that Hooker was ever "hot garbage", though I suppose that is a relative term.

I think it's based on the idea that both guys have had the exact same amount of time being coached by Heupel and his staff in this system.

One guy looks like an All-SEC caliber QB, and the other looks like he'd have trouble beating out Jarrett Guarantano in a QB competition.

One guy has shown himself to be extremely accurate, and the other lost his job, due in large part, to overthrowing wide-open receivers by 5-7 yards.

One guy has shown himself to be an extremely capable runner who puts it all out in the field for his team, and the other has shown that he's scared to get hit, to the detriment of his own team.

Why don't I believe it can happen for Milton? Because he has not shown a willingness to fight for his own team, let alone the QB job. He has Hooker in his way, this year and next, and I think he'll be recruited over in the meantime. Meaningful playing time, in his future, will likely be sought elsewhere. The writing is on the wall for him, I'm afraid. In addition to falling behind in the current battle, I think he lost the support of many of his teammates, as well.
While I agree with most of this, it’s absolutely not over for Milton just like it was never over for Crompton.

I’m just glad we have a coach who wants to play the best guy now.

VN Store

Back