'22 QB IN Tayven Jackson (Tennessee signee)

“They didn’t really say anything specific but I learned from watching their film at UCF, how they broke all those records, so I want to be like that,” Jackson said at the Elite 11. “I want to show off my arm and show off my playmaking skills and this is an offense I can do it in.

“They just want to open it up and rip it.”

More than 30 schools offered the Greenwood (Ind.) Center Grove standout but sitting down with position coach Joey Halzle sold him on the vision for Tennessee’s offense under the new coaching staff.

There will be a spread offense, lots of passing and while balance will be important - did we mention the Vols are going to pass the ball a whole lot?

“I feel like that’s going to be a blast but obviously we have to keep it balanced with running the ball and play-action and having a balanced offense,” Jackson said. “But they’re going to rip it and I’m very excited to get down there.

“Me and coach Halzle, the quarterbacks coach, we sat in his office on my official visit and my unofficial visit, I went down there like three times, and we watched how they developed Dillon Gabriel and that’s how they want to develop me so I’m going to do anything they ask me to do.”

Last season, the Vols averaged just 21.5 points per game. They threw just 14 touchdowns. Only one receiver had more than 22 catches. No receiver had more than four TDs.

At UCF, albeit in an easier conference, Gabriel threw the ball 413 times for 3,570 yards with 32 touchdowns and four picks.

Jackson sees Tennessee with a strong defense, mixed with a new uptempo offense that has proven it can score elsewhere, as the way to winning the SEC East to start.

“I know our defense is going to be really good,” Jackson said. “Oklahoma did it and they won games.”

- Adam Gorney, Rivals

Kid seems like a natural leader. Exactly what we’ve been missing at the QB position. Hope HB can lead this year. Feel confident Jackson will be ready to take the reigns when called upon.

He looks very good except for delaying the pass on some patterns until the receiver stops and stands there, waiting for the ball. That is way too late in the SEC.

Yep - that's the guy. Well done by Heup and Halzle. Now go get the rest to build around him so that when HB is done they can just step right in.
They appear to be trying to put burners all around him at RB and WR. You don't have to fill the team with all 4 and 5 stars right away if your offense looks like an Olympic relay team. Speed kills (think KC chiefs). You might not win championships right away, but you'll win your fair share of games, and create a lot of excitement in the process.

This is your annual reminder not to freak out about Elite 11 "rankings"

2012: Asiantii Wouldard wins Elite 11 MVP over Jared Goff (and Josh Dobbs)
2013: Sean White win MVP over Deshaun Watson
2014: Blake Barnett wins MVP over Kyler Murray
2015: Shea Patterson wins MVP over Dwayne Haskins; Jalen Hurts does not make finals
2016: Chris Robison makes the finals over Mac Jones and Kellen Mond
2017: Tanner McKee ranked #3; Trevor Lawrence ranked #4
2018: Brian Maurer invited

And I'll leave this here Tennessee Vol Commit Jarrett Guarantano Lighting Up Elite 11

This is your annual reminder not to freak out about Elite 11 "rankings"

2012: Asiantii Wouldard wins Elite 11 MVP over Jared Goff (and Josh Dobbs)
2013: Sean White win MVP over Deshaun Watson
2014: Blake Barnett wins MVP over Kyler Murray
2015: Shea Patterson wins MVP over Dwayne Haskins; Jalen Hurts does not make finals
2016: Chris Robison makes the finals over Mac Jones and Kellen Mond
2017: Tanner McKee ranked #3; Trevor Lawrence ranked #4
2018: Brian Maurer invited
Definitely have noticed the same in the past. I think it certainly means something just being invited...but at the end of the day it's mostly air routes, which isn't football.

Reactions: ChrisVFL
That was the whole thing with JG anyway. Looked great in practice. Looked great throwing the tree. Horrible in games. Horrible when reading defenses. Horrible when having to make quick decisions.

Harrison Bailey and Tayven Jackson can make the reads, decisions, and throws. It’s all in the tape.

That was the whole thing with JG anyway. Looked great in practice. Looked great throwing the tree. Horrible in games. Horrible when reading defenses. Horrible when having to make quick decisions.

Harrison Bailey and Tayven Jackson can make the reads, decisions, and throws. It’s all in the tape.
TBD on Tayven. We’ll see if he can do it at the speed of the SEC. JG was a superstar in HS but couldn’t make good decisions quick enough in the SEC

Reactions: vettefool
They appear to be trying to put burners all around him at RB and WR. You don't have to fill the team with all 4 and 5 stars right away if your offense looks like an Olympic relay team. Speed kills (think KC chiefs). You might not win championships right away, but you'll win your fair share of games, and create a lot of excitement in the process.

I have noticed this too. You simply can't teach speed. If you spread the defense out and they have to play back a little because you have some burners at WR then that opens up the run game that much more.

Reactions: StoVol and bigl3327
My point is quite simple. The post says he throws the ball way too late "for the SEC". He isn't in the SEC, ne is in high school. He has plenty of time to learn and to be coached to make the throws.

My post was sarcasm. I'm with you.

Reactions: Volinnooga

VN Store

Back