Q&A with HC Heupel

You want your HC to be successful enough other schools want them. If no one wants them then your program is not doing well. Its a double edged sword to be successful. But the good coaches stay put once they got their program rolling as their employer bribes them with contract extensions and raises. And a very large buyout clause.
I agree. And really the ones who return to coach the school they played for is not that common. It rarely works out well.... Oh sure...you have a few...but we lose sight this is a business...not usually a sentimental journey. And if a coach has the "program rolling" as you said...more times than not they are content to keep it rolling. IT'S BUSINESS....NOT PERSONAL! That's why a Jay Graham can go to Alabama without any problem...so here's to hoping OU comes calling soon.

You know, I wasn't crazy about this hire at first..I was thinking it was just another hurry up and hire somebody kind of hire but the more I hear him talk I am getting a feeling we might've gotten the right guy...I haven't felt that way about a coach in years but there is just a feeling he is going to do great things here....I'm not expecting the world right away but I think he'll get things going faster than we think..At least lets hope so....Now the scary part is if he does have success here Oklahoma is bound to come calling at some point....So there is that..Be nice to have a winner again.
He's a lot more intelligent than anyone we've had since Dooley. We'll see if that translates.

CJH is a very smart guy and knows this offense inside out.But this is similar to Brick by brick offense and De bord done well with that. I also think we have D coaches who can coach.IMO as always recruiting the right guys and right caliber guys will be the difference! Here we are being patient again.GBO

Reactions: ALLVOL 4LIFE
OU fired him.

Hopefully he's wise enough to stick in a place if he has success.

Almost every successful coach in the nation has once they succeeded. I'm sure CJH would if this pink unicorn scenario ever manifested itself.

That's a bad take on a positive quote.. Did you read the article?

Do you guys have any idea yet on how many players you have that may not take advantage of the "COVID Year" and call it a career?

We've only had 4 or 5 take advantage of the extra year and 2 of those were walk-ons.

I read the interview and really like what I read. The guy sounds like he knows football, and sounds like he went to college. He had three successful years at UCF. You can decide how you want to read the W-L records for his three years, but an undefeated regular season is hard to do in any sport at any level. Winning every game two seasons in a row is even harder, and a two loss season is nothing to be ashamed of. The 2020 season is one I believe we would all like to forget, but they still went 6-4 without their star QB. They scored 49 against Memphis and still lost, they got beaten by a very good Cincinnati team and Tulsa which tied Cinci in the conference, and got manhandled by what was IMO a vastly underrated BYU team. I like what I hear. I can't wait 'til spring practice and to see the O&W game. I for one am very excited about next season.

Do you guys have any idea yet on how many players you have that may not take advantage of the "COVID Year" and call it a career?

We've only had 4 or 5 take advantage of the extra year and 2 of those were walk-ons.
What does this have to do with his comment?

CJH is a very smart guy and knows this offense inside out.But this is similar to Brick by brick offense and De bord done well with that. I also think we have D coaches who can coach.IMO as always recruiting the right guys and right caliber guys will be the difference! Here we are being patient again.GBO
I can't think of a single way we could get better that doesn't involve patience. Not one.

Not even the slightest chance. Look at that quote and entertain the idea of literally operating that way day to day.
Obviously you didn't read the entire article. It was part of his answer on team building. I'll help you..

"Always judge players for who they are today, not who they were yesterday. If you can do that and be consistent in your interactions with the players, man, you’re going to earn their trust, and if you earn their trust, then we’ve got a chance to go out there and have a lot of fun and compete at a high level."

Obviously you didn't read the entire article. It was part of his answer on team building. I'll help you..

"Always judge players for who they are today, not who they were yesterday. If you can do that and be consistent in your interactions with the players, man, you’re going to earn their trust, and if you earn their trust, then we’ve got a chance to go out there and have a lot of fun and compete at a high level."
Of course he didn’t read it, it’s easier to jump on a soap box without facts.

I didn't read the article. My statement was based solely on what was quoted. And according to what was quoted the coach absolutely does not believe that. A person would have to be insane to operate strictly by that quote.

Read the quote. Think about the ramifications of that quote. And then ask yourself if it's possible to really operate that way successfully.

I didn't read the article. My statement was based solely on what was quoted. And according to what was quoted the coach absolutely does not believe that. A person would have to be insane to operate strictly by that quote.

Read the quote. Think about the ramifications of that quote. And then ask yourself if it's possible to really operate that way successfully.

VN Store

Back