Purdue's 7'3" C Matt Haarms Enters Transfer Portal

From a Purdue insider.....

First off, I am as shocked by this as much as most of you probably are.

I can't tell you anything for certain about what happened here, because I don't know. We're supposed to talk to Matt Painter tomorrow, but the likelihood of him spilling his private conversations with the kid may not be all that high. I've reached out to Haarms for comment, but more often than not in situations like this, you don't hear back.

I can only speculate.

The first portion of this that lends itself well to conjecture is simple. Trevion Williams has ascended into being Purdue's best player. He is playing as much as Purdue can get out of him. They play the same position, and the Twin Towers sort of experiment was basically a bust this season. There was a natural cap, then, on Haarms' opportunities both for minutes and stature.

The second that comes to mind for me anyway is style of play. Haarms was fantastic as a sophomore on a team that played a floor-spreading, guard-driven-style. He is a ball-screen and pick-and-roll sort of mobile big man. This season, the dynamics around him changed, the league was probably as physical as it's even been and the Boilermakers had to go back to playing WrestleMania-style Big Ten basketball. That is not Haarms' strength. Perhaps he will look for a more open style of play where his strengths in pick-and-roll, running the floor and shooting jumpers can fit a little better.

Guess a National Championship isn't on his bucket list.

Purdue’s Nojel Eastern is also transferring. One of the best defenders in the country but has zero offense.

VN Store

Back