Pruitts decisions in the next week will show us alot

DustyRockSolid

JG should not start another game nor should he take any first team reps. At this point, you have to switch and you have to be dedicated. You gotta go all in in bailey or maurer. Bailey is the most likely choice. Those saying you shouldn't throw bailey to the wolves at Alabama are just wrong. Bailey will survive and learn from it. You cannot justify starting JG anymore.

Im all for giving him 1st team reps in practice this week... And just allow him to focus on the run game and some short intermiated routes, maybe some screens to allow him to adjust to the speed of the game and build confidence.

JG should not start another game nor should he take any first team reps. At this point, you have to switch and you have to be dedicated. You gotta go all in in bailey or maurer. Bailey is the most likely choice. Those saying you shouldn't throw bailey to the wolves at Alabama are just wrong. Bailey will survive and learn from it. You cannot justify starting JG anymore.
I agree...it's no different than when Casey Clausen got thrown to the wolves against Alabama. He help up pretty damn well. It doesn't matter if Maurer OR Bailey lose to Bama (That's coming no matter who starts)...make the commitment to turn the page. You have to give these players (and fans) reason for hope and promise. If he doesn't...Pruitt and Co.'s days are NUMBERED for sure!

I agree...it's no different than when Casey Clausen got thrown to the wolves against Alabama. He help up pretty damn well. It doesn't matter if Maurer OR Bailey lose to Bama (That's coming no matter who starts)...make the commitment to turn the page. You have to give these players (and fans) reason for hope and promise. If he doesn't...Pruitt and Co.'s days are NUMBERED for sure!
Maurer was good against Bama until he got knocked out. He wouldn't be scared.

I'm afraid we won't see him though. I think he's easily better than Shrout.

It is different than when Clausen was put in from the standpoint that Bama wasn’t Bama then. We were better than Bama then and Clausen had plenty of other good players around him to give him a buffer. We don’t have that now. At least we haven’t the last 6 quarters.

Reactions: preacherwebb
Maurer was good against Bama until he got knocked out. He wouldn't be scared.

I'm afraid we won't see him though. I think he's easily better than Shrout.
@1vol8 where is maurer? Has he been practicing? If he is available, he and bailey should split first team reps. I fear we may not see maurer at all this year because of stuff going on behind the scenes. Can you confirm or deny?

@1vol8 where is maurer? Has he been practicing? If he is available, he and bailey should split first team reps. I fear we may not see maurer at all this year because of stuff going on behind the scenes. Can you confirm or deny?
I too fear this.

I fear that Pruitt will trot JG back out there before BM and it makes me want to puke.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I too say Maurer or Bailey. Maurer because of his mobility but if the coaches see Bailey as our future let's ride with him.

I can honestly understand the arguments for either starting JG or Bailey against Bama and let’s face it, if the game goes how we all believe it will, Bailey is going to play regardless.

I think Pruitt and company should strongly consider moving Smith and Mays to the tackle positions and Morris inside. I believe Wes Rucker said that before the KY game, PFF had out O-line ranked 69th out of 75 teams in pass blocking...nice. He also said that JG is getting rid of the ball the 8th quickest compared to every other starting QB in the country. It’s difficult for any QB to have success when they have zero time in the pocket and I would very much like to avoid a repeat of what happened to JG during the 2017 season with Bailey this season.

It's a shame it took embarrassment to possibly light a fire on the answer to the QB situation. You could see this train coming down the tracks. They were just so stubborn and hard headed. We have barely been getting by in this department for years and have suffered bad losses during this time.

I can honestly understand the arguments for either starting JG or Bailey against Bama and let’s face it, if the game goes how we all believe it will, Bailey is going to play regardless.

I think Pruitt and company should strongly consider moving Smith and Mays to the tackle positions and Morris inside. I believe Wes Rucker said that before the KY game, PFF had out O-line ranked 69th out of 75 teams in pass blocking...nice. He also said that JG is getting rid of the ball the 8th quickest compared to every other starting QB in the country. It’s difficult for any QB to have success when they have zero time in the pocket and I would very much like to avoid a repeat of what happened to JG during the 2017 season with Bailey this season.
Need Jaomir Johnson out there.

Reactions: 825VOL and VFL1993

The road warrior. Be nice to see another UT QB have road success like that again

It's definitely not ideal to throw Bailey inagainst Bama for his first start (lot's of downside to that if he is not ready which is probably the case). Maurer is the only QB that has not look scared and brought some excitement/attitude to the position during last several years (at least he did last year before the concusions). Bailey may be the future (hopefully) but right now woudl be better to roll the dice with Maurer (it's not like it's going to matter either way against Bama right now as far as chances of winning the game go).

Everybody’s talking about Harrison Bailey like he’s a wounded sparrow. Good lord. He’s been prepping for this for years and I’m sure would relish the opportunity to get out there. I don’t feel like other staffs anguish so much over putting a talented kid out there because they’re afraid it’s gonna ruin his confidence. If a kid truly has confidence, getting beat down by a superior team won’t do anything to take that away. And if it does, then that tells us something. Put Bailey out there. The kid came here to play. Good god.

I'm not sure I would start HB against Bama... Nothing like crushing someone's will. You start one of the other two QBs. Whomever does the best at this weeks in practice, or go direct snaps to running backs. Then bring HB in second half. Just my thoughts.

Something is obviously going on. Is he still hurt? Can you at least speak on that?
Not sure he ever was. Not sure he wasn’t. I find it odd that de1conley called Maurer our best option at the time he was supposed to be hurt while he witnessed a scrimmage and called out Austin Price for lying and JG for being “bad,bad, bad”. Tells me Maurer was either there or showed him enough that he was already convinced.

I’ve just decided that I need to step back and find a different hobby for Saturdays. These last 12 years have just shown me that my fandom and $$$ are just taken for granted and serious winning is not a priority.

The actual fact that our backups are not getting practice reps and having to schedule special scrimmages to get your 5-star QB any reps just made me lose all faith in this staff. Just ridiculous that we are in this situation in year 3 of this staff.

I’ve just decided that I need to step back and find a different hobby for Saturdays. These last 12 years have just shown me that my fandom and $$$ are just taken for granted and serious winning is not a priority.

The actual fact that our backups are not getting practice reps and having to schedule special scrimmages to get your 5-star QB any reps just made me lose all faith in this staff. Just ridiculous that we are in this situation in year 3 of this staff.
In Pruitts defense what other choice did he have this year than to schedule such a scrimmage? It just should’ve been for ALL backups and not just new players. This is supposed to be a competition.

Everybody’s talking about Harrison Bailey like he’s a wounded sparrow. Good lord. He’s been prepping for this for years and I’m sure would relish the opportunity to get out there. I don’t feel like other staffs anguish so much over putting a talented kid out there because they’re afraid it’s gonna ruin his confidence. If a kid truly has confidence, getting beat down by a superior team won’t do anything to take that away. And if it does, then that tells us something. Put Bailey out there. The kid came here to play. Good god.

Problem is how many plays can HB run effectively right now given he has not practiced a lot (coaches probably should get some blame for not getting him enough reps unless he was sick and could not practice because of that). Anyhow, if coaches feel extremely limited in terms of what they can call with HB in there right now that's a huge problem. Even running plays - QB's need to know how to call/run that effectively and make adjustments based on what defense is showing (probably this is one area coaches feel JG is far ahead of other QB's - my guess is this is the main reason why they have been sticking with him for so long).

In Pruitts defense what other choice did he have this year than to schedule such a scrimmage?
IMO, your QBs are ALL getting significant reps during practice. Each one is 1 snap away from going in. We also know JG’s limitations. With that, you have to develop the other players. You do not do that with having them so limited they have no opportunity to prove their worth.

If another QB jumps out there and shows a pulse, will make Pruitt look even worse for his blinded commitment to JG.

Again, just my opinion.

Problem is how many plays can HB run effectively right now given he has not practiced a lot (coaches probably should get some blame for not getting him enough reps unless he was sick and could not practice because of that). Anyhow, if coaches feel extremely limited in terms of what they can call with HB in there right now that's a huge problem. Even running plays - QB's need to know how to call/run that effectively and make adjustments based on what defense is showing (probably this is one area coaches feel JG is far ahead of other QB's - my guess is this is the main reason why they have been sticking with him for so long).
Problem is, how many plays can JG run effectively after all these years?

And agree, this blame falls on the coaches for being in this situation.

Pi$$ poor planning.

VN Store

Back