Pruitt to Texas as DC ??!!

if Pruitt is let go at UT, my guess is he'll go back to Bama because they may make changes to their DC there

Pruitt's trying to play this up for another raise and extension

Sad thing is, I'm not sure we have any evidence the UT admin/AD wouldn't fall for it if this was indeed the case.

Watch out, he's using Texas as a stepping stone to go home to Tuscaloosa and take Saban's position when Nicky-poo retires.

Reactions: VaBornVol
The relationship with Pruitt and the administration is completely fractured at this point. It doesn’t make sense for him to stay.

Steele is going to be the interim next year (hopefully not). Or we are about to hire somebody (please be Freeze).

If we lose Pruitt, we lose players. Only a Freeze here would be exciting enough for some to stay.
I would trade him for herman

He'll probably take this job and they'll win a national title. Just our luck.
I'm ok with that if we can get back to being relevant in the East in Mid-November. Baby steps...because right now, we suck.

yea, Pruitt is just going to voluntarily light up millions of dollars in salary. Makes sense to leave for a job that pays half as much.

Reactions: Vollifer1949
yea, Pruitt is just going to voluntarily light up millions of dollars in salary. Makes sense to leave for a job that pays half as much.
It makes sense if he knows he’s about to get fired and will get little to no money from his buyout. The next few days should give us clarity as to whether or not he’s actually in trouble at UT.

If they're married to this coach, let 'em go. Hell, this is a three win roster. There's not one player I'd sweat losing. Freeze has proven he can do more with less at ole miss. The portal, recruiting, etc mean nothing until we fill the huge void that is the head coaching position. They need to get this right this time and it needs to get done now. They interview this guy today. They clearly have things wrapped and this is the last step. Present the findings to him and hand him a severance package and NDA and announce the new coach this afternoon.

Of course we know UT never seems to do things that way. Steele is the seat keeper while they go through weeks and weeks of interviews. They'll keep interviewing until they reach the name that will say yes. He likely will be the 7th or 8th choice and they likely won't even kick the tires with freeze. UT will keep doing the same damned things over and over again thinking that sooner or later they'll finally get that diamond in the rough they so desire. Instead the program will continue to rot into nothingness until no one gives a damn anymore. If I were putting money on a name, I think UT will give up after a number of rejections and "promote from within" and hand the job to Steele. Cupping up is recommended vol fans. You know it's coming.
If this were a 3 win roster we wouldn’t be talking about firing Pruitt. We probably had a better roster than 7 teams we played this year.

Well he’s been such a great dc here can you blame them. Lol. Seriously I know he was successful in the role in prior stops. He just should have never tried his hand as a head coach. Just about everything that comes with being a head coach runs counter to his skill set. And I’ve said this multiple times and I’m sorry if it sounds harsh but he’s just not a highly intelligent guy. And that’s the most underrated necessity of being a great coach.

Not highly intelligent? I am not a fan of what Pruitt has done so far here at Tennessee as head coach but I will not go so far as to question the man's intelligence. Being a defensive coordinator and head coach require different types of leadership skills. Guys like Pruitt, Sylvester Croom, Mike Shula, Ellis Johnson, Derek Dooley and Kevin Steele are just better suited for coordinator and assistant roles. Does not in any mean they are less intelligent than other people.

Pruitt could also end up being like Ed Orgeron and Mario Cristobal. Both failed at previous head coaching stops but were more successful when given a second chance. So you never know what the future holds.

Not highly intelligent? I am not a fan of what Pruitt has done so far here at Tennessee as head coach but I will not go so far as to question the man's intelligence. Being a defensive coordinator and head coach require different types of leadership skills. Guys like Pruitt, Sylvester Croom, Mike Shula, Ellis Johnson, Derek Dooley and Kevin Steele are just better suited for coordinator and assistant roles. Does not in any mean they are less intelligent than other people.

Pruitt could also end up being like Ed Orgeron and Mario Cristobal. Both failed at previous head coaching stops but were more successful when given a second chance. So you never know what the future holds.

We’ll just have to agree to disagree. All the guys mentioned are different in different ways. Calling Pruitt unintelligent isn’t due to a single incident. It’s his entire 3 years body of work. As mentioned...being a head coach means making hundreds of decisions a week. Some big and some small. And managing a huge number of personalities. Over and over he has made head scratching decisions that most assumed wouldn’t work out and they didn’t. I’ll give you just a couple. The inability to recognize the significance of qb play (and the lack of talent that JG had). Most coaches would’ve given other guys a chance and worked hard to get a transfer. I read Pruitt continues to support him amd gradually simplify the passes that were being call and go to a more running based team. Against Alabama this season we continually went with a hurry up only to get to the line amd run the ball 75% of the time. Bama (like most teams over the last couple of years) loaded the hell out of the box knowing that JG wouldn’t be able to consistently make the throws necessary to make them regret that tactic. If we were going to take that approach at the very least don’t go but try up amd give them more possessions.
But that’s just one small example of shockingly dumb and utterly clueless decision making from a head coach. I could honestly sit here and type for 2 hours on all the dumb decisions he’s made. Every coach is different. I don’t believe in any way whatsoever that dooley was unintelligent. His flaws were mainly lack of work ethic and arrogance. Every coach listed has a different set of circumstances. But Pruitt’s greatest flaw is just not being a smart guy. Hell listen to him talk man. There’s literally thousands of times he’s proven this to be to case.

Reactions: Border Vol
I’ll drive him down myself. Although, this seems extremely far fetched
How is this far-fetched? We know they are meeting with him today and they have completed an internal investigation. We know where there’s smoke there’s fire. He’s on the hottest of seats of any coach in the country and all signs point to him being let go within the next week. He’s a fabulous defensive coordinator and would be a great addition to any staff, in that role. I don’t see at all how this is far-fetched.

Reactions: Border Vol

VN Store

Back