Pruitt takes Fulmer’s practice advice

A bunch of bunch of words to make a poster feel real good. Article is about young guys and scout players getting reps for their potential future. Nice to know you've got a handle on UTF history.

That was a reply to someone who doesn't have a handle on UT footbal history. Someone, like many here on VN, who seems to deify any coach or AD if they are on our sideline. The proceed to spout either stats that are meaningless or simply incorrect info.

And if it hurts your head reading that many words, skip on to the next post when you see something with more than two sentences. It will save you and that poster some time in addition to keeping the fact that you have nothing to add to the discussion hidden.

Reactions: Slydell
I'd bet that as soon as Fulmer hired Pruitt their next topic went something like this...

Fulmer says...Coach Pruitt, this is now your footVol program and I'm just a old coach that loves Tennessee and wants us back on top so I'll do anything I can to help you out.

Pruitt then says...Thanks coach Fulmer but I want you to know that I'm always open to learning everything I can so if you have some ideas or suggestions then just throw them at me and we'll talk them over.

Fulmer would love nothing more than to see Pruitt take our beloved footVol Team and WIN a SEC and a National Championship.

VFL...GBO!!!

Probably most in Volnation hasn't been coached by Coach Fulmer, but you don't see anyone referring to as Mr. Fulm…, heck I cant even do it. Coach Fulmer it is for me.

"A lot of these guys that play on the scout team, sometimes they’re servicing somebody else ..."

I'm out.
Somehow I knew someone would respond to this statement in just this way. Actually, I don't know how to respond any other way. I wonder what he really meant to say. I just chose to remain dump and just wonder what he meant. I just thought it was "football talk" which is usually over my head.

Somehow I knew someone would respond to this statement in just this way. Actually, I don't know how to respond any other way. I wonder what he really meant to say. I just chose to remain dump and just wonder what he meant. I just thought it was "football talk" which is usually over my head.

I suspect he was misquoted. More than likely, he said, "...sometimes they’re serving as somebody else ..." That is, they are trying to emulate a player from the upcoming opponent.

Reactions: savannahfan
For those of us old enough to remember, Fulmer always referred to Doug Dickey as Coach Dickey when he spoke of him. (Of course, he played for him, so there's a little more going on there.)

It's a funny thing, while Butch Jones was here, I never called him coach (that I remember), it was always Butch Jones.

Probably most in Volnation hasn't been coached by Coach Fulmer, but you don't see anyone referring to as Mr. Fulm…, heck I cant even do it. Coach Fulmer it is for me.
I'd say a lot of us grew up being indirectly coached by coach Fulmer and coach summitt just because of their dedication and their example of what it means to be passionate and give your all.

I'd bet that as soon as Fulmer hired Pruitt their next topic went something like this...

Fulmer says...Coach Pruitt, this is now your footVol program and I'm just a old coach that loves Tennessee and wants us back on top so I'll do anything I can to help you out.

Pruitt then says...Thanks coach Fulmer but I want you to know that I'm always open to learning everything I can so if you have some ideas or suggestions then just throw them at me and we'll talk them over.

Fulmer would love nothing more than to see Pruitt take our beloved footVol Team and WIN a SEC and a National Championship.

VFL...GBO!!!
I think the coversation went more like this;
CPF, CJP you like cornbread?
CJP, yup, I got a good recipe, you got one?
CPF, I sure do! Let's get together an eat some cornbread.
CJP, AIGHT!

I'd say a lot of us grew up being indirectly coached by coach Fulmer and coach summitt just because of their dedication and their example of what it means to be passionate and give your all.

It’s a shame that our young fans haven’t been able to see the glory days. That’s a memory that we shall always have.

Thats good for the football program and we all know that's the cash 🐄 .
I hope they continue to get along for years and years.

So true. I saw a picture of Pat in the Tommy Bowl last night at the game and almost cried. She was UT and accepted nothing less than excellence. Love CPF, as well. They supported each other.

I know, as fans, it seemed like a magical time back then. Was great to see Coach Fulmer, Coach Pat Summit and Coach Bruce Pearl support each other. Really juiced up the fan base.

I don't want to start a kick CPF thing but while your stats may be correct, your point isn't.

Jamal didn't start until we had pissed away the UF game. Presumably because he didn't know the blocking schemes/blitz pick ups. Assuming that is true My guess is the senior QB that year may have insisted he not start until he had that taken care of.
Peyton didn't start until a few games into the season, injuries to 2 different QB's and if I'm not mistaken Brandon Stewart got a start before Peyton did.
Clausen was pressed into duty because AJ Suggs and Joey Matthews were a little overrated coming out of high school or underdeveloped once they got to campus. Thing is Casey wasn't supposed to play his freshman year but lack of production by the two guys ahead of him forced CPF"s hand.

Ainge and Schaefer split time most of that season with Rick C coming later in the season to replace EA after an injury.

CPF played upperclassmen even with more talented younger players on the bench. To be honest i don't fault coaches who do this as many times (see the current Mr Banks for a recent example) the younger guys simply haven't earned a coaches trust and probably don't have the nuances of the offense or defense down. While the youngun's may make big things happen they often cause big things you don't want happening to happen also.

Brandon Stewart was a freshman too
.. so you strengthened the argument.

Clausen was going to start game 1 but had dead arm so they had to start AJ.

Ainge and Schafer brought in to start.

Not starting Jamal at UF was most likely a mistake. But if you have the top QB in America and cant take a risk of him getting injured on a blindside hit. That would have been a Peyton or Cut call.

It's the HC's job to take responsibility but Fulmer was a program manager and gave full reigns to Cut and Cheif on those decisions. I agree with you as well, it makes sense to play the experienced player when younger guys haven't earned the trust. It was also a different era then, RS and guys staying 4-5yrs was much more common.

Let me ask, outside of Jamal, who should Fulmer and staff played sooner than they did?

Brandon Stewart was a freshman too
.. so you strengthened the argument.

Clausen was going to start game 1 but had dead arm so they had to start AJ.

Ainge and Schafer brought in to start.

Not starting Jamal at UF was most likely a mistake. But if you have the top QB in America and cant take a risk of him getting injured on a blindside hit. That would have been a Peyton or Cut call.

It's the HC's job to take responsibility but Fulmer was a program manager and gave full reigns to Cut and Cheif on those decisions. I agree with you as well, it makes sense to play the experienced player when younger guys haven't earned the trust. It was also a different era then, RS and guys staying 4-5yrs was much more common.

Let me ask, outside of Jamal, who should Fulmer and staff played sooner than they did?

You skipped the last paragraph?

Along with Peyton yes Stewart was a freshman. However Jerry Colquit went down to a career ending injury I. the first quarter of the first game of the season. Enter Todd Helton (who for all his greatness on the diamond may have been the worst multi game starter at QB for UT) who played until a minor knee injury had CPF sit him down and encourage him to stay on the sideline and become a superstar in baseball. In hindsight that was safe advice. All that said; Using Stewart did not strengthen the opposing argument. He only played after 2 injuries to QBs ahead of him..

And outside of juco players it is ridiculous to claim someone is brought in to start in D1 football. Especially SEC D1 football.

You skipped the last paragraph?

Along with Peyton yes Stewart was a freshman. However Jerry Colquit went down to a career ending injury I. the first quarter of the first game of the season. Enter Todd Helton (who for all his greatness on the diamond may have been the worst multi game starter at QB for UT) who played until a minor knee injury had CPF sit him down and encourage him to stay on the sideline and become a superstar in baseball. In hindsight that was safe advice. All that said; Using Stewart did not strengthen the opposing argument. He only played after 2 injuries to QBs ahead of him..

And outside of juco players it is ridiculous to claim someone is brought in to start in D1 football. Especially SEC D1 football.

Thanks for the history lesson about the most known event in modern TN football history.

Clausen was brought in to start. Ainge and Brent Schaffer were brought in to compete and see who would be the starter. Who was going to start over them? Maybe the coaches knew what they had and it wasnt good enough?

Outside of Jamal for 2 games,what young players sat on the bench that should have started over upperclassman?

VN Store

Back