Pruitt-Selected, Pruitt-Approved, Right Stuff Players

WoodsmanVol

It takes wisdom to understand wisdom.
Saw the below Pruitt quote. Seems we had not just undersized and underdeveloped players. But players who didn’t want to put in the effort to become better. I think this season we will see a more Pruitt-ized team that gives opponents (even Bama) as good as we get and a good deal more. I’m so looking forward to orange rage football.

Pruitt said the reports he has received from the Vols’ summer workouts have indicated that their newcomers who enrolled at Tennessee less than two months ago “are what we thought they were,” and he believes at least some of them “can help us in the fall.”

“I’ve not been around them a whole lot out on the field,” Pruitt said Tuesday at SEC Media Days. “We’re not allowed to. Just in the weight room, getting a little feedback, I think the guys are what we thought they were.
"They’re guys that have really good character. They have good athletic ability. They’re willing to work.”

[Source: GoVols 247]

VolRage.jpg
Watch the haters follow me to this thread to invoke petty snipes.

Last edited:
I call bs. If players aren’t buying-in, are demotivating, and don’t have purpose, it’s directly on him. He needs to own that.

New players ( who were similarly or less recruited than the existing roster, by the way) are not going to magically solve that.

I call bs. If players aren’t buying-in, are demotivating, and don’t have purpose, it’s directly on him. He needs to own that.

New players ( who were similarly or less recruited than the existing roster, by the way) are not going to magically solve that.

I hope you never buy a company that has established employees and try to implement changes you feel are necessary to take the company to the next level. You'll lose your arse before you figure out what happened.

I hope you never buy a company that has established employees and try to implement changes you feel are necessary to take the company to the next level. You'll lose your arse before you figure out what happened.

I worked in a company that wasn't doing well. New management came in, did an assessment, outlined why we were losing customers, which included departments with workers who were mainly clock watchers. Resistance and refusal to change, continued decline, management tried offering retraining etc. Only a few of us bought in and took advantage. Those that didn't, were fired, and encouraged otherwise to leave. Newbies came in, got training, introduction to the new culture. Hungry and eager to have jobs, they dove in and gradually, we made the business competitive again. If deadwood is going to remain deadwood, get rid of it and install new timber. You can't make people do something they don't want to and refuse to do. But you can get rid of them and bring in those grateful for the opportunity and motivated to make the most of it. In any case, call it male bovine excretion if you wish, I for one believe Pruitt's got this and we will be seeing the results soon enough. This very season as a matter of fact. We're fully de-Butched now. We're neither being nor taking prisoners this season.

I worked in a company that wasn't doing well. New management came in, did an assessment, outlined why we were losing customers, which included departments with workers who were mainly clock watchers. Resistance and refusal to change, continued decline, management tried offering retraining etc. Only a few of us bought in and took advantage. Those that didn't, were fired, and encouraged otherwise to leave. Newbies came in, got training, introduction to the new culture. Hungry and eager to have jobs, they dove in and gradually, we made the business competitive again. If deadwood is going to remain deadwood, get rid of it and install new timber. You can't make people do something they don't want to and refuse to do. But you can get rid of them and bring in those grateful for the opportunity and motivated to make the most of it. In any case, call it male bovine excretion if you wish, I for one believe Pruitt's got this and we will be seeing the results soon enough. This very season as a matter of fact. We're fully de-Butched now. We're neither being nor taking prisoners this season.
I love your enthusiasm, i believe we will be much better than the "experts" are giving us credit for. New culture, better development by position coaches and strength and conditioning trainers is going to pay off.

Yep, done it. If those changes result in demotivation that translates to getting blown off the field by Vandy and Missouri, there is a problem. You guys are in denial.

I love your enthusiasm, i believe we will be much better than the "experts" are giving us credit for. New culture, better development by position coaches and strength and conditioning trainers is going to pay off.

I wouldn't venture to say we're playoff-bound. I expect us to miss the mark on that. But this team is going to be exciting to watch. I wouldn't be surprised if 2 or 3 bowls get into a haggle about which will host them. They won't be good enough for the NCS game, but they'll be so much fun to watch everyone else will want them.

Last edited:
Yep, done it. If those changes result in demotivation that translates to getting blown off the field by Vandy and Missouri, there is a problem. You guys are in denial.
And those same players got blown off the field the year before Pruitt got here also. The common denominator wasn't Pruitt.
If we see it again this year, sure. Until then, no.

Saw the below Pruitt quote. Seems we had not just undersized and underdeveloped players. But players who didn’t want to put in the effort to become better. I think this season we will see a more Pruitt-ized team that gives opponents (even Bama) as good as we get and a good deal more. I’m so looking forward to orange rage football.

Pruitt said the reports he has received from the Vols’ summer workouts have indicated that their newcomers who enrolled at Tennessee less than two months ago “are what we thought they were,” and he believes at least some of them “can help us in the fall.”

“I’ve not been around them a whole lot out on the field,” Pruitt said Tuesday at SEC Media Days. “We’re not allowed to. Just in the weight room, getting a little feedback, I think the guys are what we thought they were.
"They’re guys that have really good character. They have good athletic ability. They’re willing to work.”

[Source: GoVols 247]

View attachment 213506
Watch the haters follow me to this thread to invoke petty snipes.
Hat says nothing about who is here now.
It’s a comment in the incoming players..

Geez. Pruitt has had very little turnover, so that doesn’t follow or fit with his other recent comments about massive gains from those who were already on the roster.

It’s pretty silly of fans to think of these recruits as “Pruitt-selected players” considering that not all of him were his top targets. By necessity you accept the best recruits that you can get, not the recruits that you personally select, because the best recruits can choose where they want to go to school. The only real distinction between the new guys and the holdovers is that the new guys were offered their scholarships by Pruitt. He’s going to say they’re the right stuff whether they’re any better or not, because why would he call to question his own recruiting?

So the poorly motivated with horrid coaching and worse attitudes are supposed to "magically" change their attitude in less than one year? You really don't exist in reality. Of course.....you do stubbornly hold onto your handle.

We simply ran out of players late in the season. Idk how many times we need to say it but Butch had no clue what he was doing. The team didn't have a real strength and conditioning program for almost 3 years!!

I hope you never buy a company that has established employees and try to implement changes you feel are necessary to take the company to the next level. You'll lose your arse befbefor

Their giving away free cell phones again,
Maybe he can go on down and get him another one.

So the poorly motivated with horrid coaching and worse attitudes are supposed to "magically" change their attitude in less than one year? You really don't exist in reality. Of course.....you do stubbornly hold onto your handle.

I think it is entirely possible to magically change young people 18-19. They are very moldable, much more so than adults who are set in their ways. They can and will follow great leadership out of the rut and can remarkably show improvement.

That was covered in another thread. He put more effort into setting up the weight room right etc. than he did on building the relationships with players.

His biggest mistake was figuring that everyone is self motivated to do it the right way and will give all to get there.

There a lot going on in the minds of people, some aren’t built that way, even when on the verge of making it big or are about to see success due to hard work.

It’s pretty silly of fans to think of these recruits as “Pruitt-selected players” considering that not all of him were his top targets. By necessity you accept the best recruits that you can get, not the recruits that you personally select, because the best recruits can choose where they want to go to school. The only real distinction between the new guys and the holdovers is that the new guys were offered their scholarships by Pruitt. He’s going to say they’re the right stuff whether they’re any better or not, because why would he call to question his own recruiting?

You're probably right. I'm sure he had every available recruits name in a fish bowl and randomly pulled some out. I doubt very seriously he chose the best available recruits.

You probably cant afford a Bugatti. We here at VN would have to assume, from the drivel you just laid down, you went on over to the dealership and told the salesman "I cant have what I want so you chose for me" because there cant be any choices after the best one. Oh heck no, that is not how pro-drafts work at all.. that's not even how you pick dodge ball teams in Jr. High...if you dont get your first choice ya just stop there and let the other guy choose and you take the leftovers...right sport? And we are silly???

Last edited:

Your company wasn't restricted on the number of employees it could hire and fire on an annual basis. Sure, CJP could have run off 100% of Butch's players. Where would that have left us? A mix of 25 true freshmen and JUCO scholarship players and the remainder of the team would be walk-ons. I'm fairly confident you are suggesting CJP follow that path?

Reactions: Alto1 and Vol423

Saban lost to Louisiana Monroe his first year at Bama

Last edited:

I turned around several locations for a Fortune 500 before opening my own business. It didn't turn around in one day but was a process that took time. You are just a blow hard with no clue. I had to fire and hire and get the right mix. Turned them all around. Some 30 plus year employees who would talk about how great former bosses were eventually bought in. Those who didn't, I gave them enough rope and eventually was able to kick them to the curb even after 30 years employment. Was hard and not fun at times but got it done. First year had plenty of setbacks but had good moments like Auburn and Kentucky as well. We should’ve beat South Carols and got to a bowl. But to expect last year to be much more than it was once we saw how bad the butchers were, was unreasonable. Unreasonable explains you to a T.

I think it is entirely possible to magically change young people 18-19. They are very moldable, much more so than adults who are set in their ways. They can and will follow great leadership out of the rut and can remarkably show improvement.
Unfortunately, there does have to be experienced leadership setting examples. I can only speak from my experience in the POTS, but that is the main reason we could get together a new show every week in just 7 hours of practice. You ended up with 200+ instructors helping the inexperienced members understand how to get from point A to point B correctly. A very small percentage of people not doing their job can upset the entire plan.

Unfortunately, there does have to be experienced leadership setting examples. I can only speak from my experience in the POTS, but that is the main reason we could get together a new show every week in just 7 hours of practice. You ended up with 200+ instructors helping the inexperienced members understand how to get from point A to point B correctly. A very small percentage of people not doing their job can upset the entire plan.

Pereto... 80/20

Your user name says it all. You STILL believe Gruden is the next head coach. Seems like he has owned up to the problem. But he didnt create it, just trying to change it. The only bs in here is your post.

VN Store

Back