Pruitt radio segment with Cole Cubelic

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Talks a bit about the coronavirus, being home with his family (mopping, vacuuming, cleaning bathrooms, and earning his keep) and how his program grew a backbone during the course of the season last year.

Asked what he would cook if his wife allowed him in the kitchen, Pruitt said "I'm on the grill, right? I'm not gonna get in that oven/stove stuff, I'm gonna be on the grill. I'm a meat guy!"

Not a lot of football talk, but it's kind of funny listening to a guy like Pruitt talk about his life while stuck at home.

Jeremy Pruitt talks coaching while quarantined & not getting to cook - 3 Man Front - Omny.fm

Jeremy was born and raised not very far from me (I was in Tennessee though PTL). The simple, hard-working life! He's had to adapt to a much different way of living but still at the very bottom of his heart he's a country farm boy and always will be regardless of how many "fancy" events he must attend (a friend who was responsible for the purchase of his vehicle for UT said everyone was trying to talk him into getting a Mercedes etc but he was adamant about his Ford pickup truck:D:D). But he remains his own person with the accent and all and OBVIOUSLY isn't trying to impress anyone. Probably the three smartest people I know talks just like he does (never, every let an accent gauge intellectual level of a person). I ,for one, am glad he's our coach and believe and trust he will win at a high level. Go Vols!

I think I would love to hang out with CJP, just doing whatever. He's just my kind of person, down to earth, matter of fact. I could not say that about Kiffin, have no interest in hanging out with him not matter how interesting he might think he is. He's the kind of person that you would be having lunch with and he'd be on twitter, or ing tot he bathroom to check his hair. Nothing about Dooley says he'd be fun to hang out with. Anyone want to hang out with Butch?

Talks a bit about the coronavirus, being home with his family (mopping, vacuuming, cleaning bathrooms, and earning his keep) and how his program grew a backbone during the course of the season last year.

Asked what he would cook if his wife allowed him in the kitchen, Pruitt said "I'm on the grill, right? I'm not gonna get in that oven/stove stuff, I'm gonna be on the grill. I'm a meat guy!"

Not a lot of football talk, but it's kind of funny listening to a guy like Pruitt talk about his life while stuck at home.

Jeremy Pruitt talks coaching while quarantined & not getting to cook - 3 Man Front - Omny.fm

LOL! Pruitt is 100% straight up dude! He sounds like me in this regard!

There's actually a great marinade for grilled asparagus. I make it regularly with steaks.

Yes! I love asparagus; And I grew up in a Backwoods area not 50 miles from Coach Pruitt; with the only Veggies we knew were Southern Staples like Cabbage, Corn, Tomatoes, Squash, Okra, and Turnip Greens. You can be Country, and you can be refined too.

Also, people tend to forget that educated and intelligent are 2 very different things. In fact, many millionaires in this country have a HS diploma or less. I have met folks with masters degrees that I wouldnt bet could even tie their own shoes without help...and some of the most brilliant people I have ever worked with never finished high school. Especially older folks...people didnt falsely believe that a college education was good for everyone like they do these days. About half or more folks who go to college these days have no business there at all. Spend 150k to get a degree in African Womens Dance or philosophy...then go to work at Starbucks for $10 an hour while $150k in debt. Trade schools and community college trade programs with internships should have twice as many people they currently do...if not more. HVAC techs , licensed plumbers, electricians, welders, pipe fitters, refrigeration....a person can START at 50 to 60k a year straight out of their 6month school these days, and have a job in their field making most of that before they even finish schooling. Demand is way way more than supply for skilled trades. These guys pull down 100k a year after 2 to 3 years when they can drive their own truck for these companies, with benefits. Even more profitable if they have the means to start their own business in these fields. Meanwhile...the average architect, engineer, etc make about 60k to start after 4 years of school and 100k plus in debt. Those are the GOOD paying college degrees in STEM fields. Skilled trades have already bypassed most 4 year degrees in pay potential..for the 1st time ever...simply because parents think every kid needs college, and also most teens when asked what they want to do for a living reply with "some kind of office job making at least 100k..." they are scared to leave that climate controlled environment or break a sweat for a living. They want a desk and as little work as possible with huge paychecks. Good luck finding that...lol. There are certainly exceptions. My little bro got a nuclear engineering degree and has made killer money since day 1. There are only a handful of degrees with immediate earning potential like that however. Nearly all are STEM degrees, nearly none are "liberal arts"

TL;DR... Dont ever judge a book by its cover, and many blue collar trades make significantly more $ than 4 year degrees do these days. Even STEM degrees.

Reactions: bullet20
Also, people tend to forget that educated and intelligent are 2 very different things. In fact, many millionaires in this country have a HS diploma or less. I have met folks with masters degrees that I wouldnt bet could even tie their own shoes without help...and some of the most brilliant people I have ever worked with never finished high school. Especially older folks...people didnt falsely believe that a college education was good for everyone like they do these days. About half or more folks who go to college these days have no business there at all. Spend 150k to get a degree in African Womens Dance or philosophy...then go to work at Starbucks for $10 an hour while $150k in debt. Trade schools and community college trade programs with internships should have twice as many people they currently do...if not more. HVAC techs , licensed plumbers, electricians, welders, pipe fitters, refrigeration....a person can START at 50 to 60k a year straight out of their 6month school these days, and have a job in their field making most of that before they even finish schooling. Demand is way way more than supply for skilled trades. These guys pull down 100k a year after 2 to 3 years when they can drive their own truck for these companies, with benefits. Even more profitable if they have the means to start their own business in these fields. Meanwhile...the average architect, engineer, etc make about 60k to start after 4 years of school and 100k plus in debt. Those are the GOOD paying college degrees in STEM fields. Skilled trades have already bypassed most 4 year degrees in pay potential..for the 1st time ever...simply because parents think every kid needs college, and also most teens when asked what they want to do for a living reply with "some kind of office job making at least 100k..." they are scared to leave that climate controlled environment or break a sweat for a living. They want a desk and as little work as possible with huge paychecks. Good luck finding that...lol. There are certainly exceptions. My little bro got a nuclear engineering degree and has made killer money since day 1. There are only a handful of degrees with immediate earning potential like that however. Nearly all are STEM degrees, nearly none are "liberal arts"

TL;DR... Dont ever judge a book by its cover, and many blue collar trades make significantly more $ than 4 year degrees do these days. Even STEM degrees.
I agree with you that trades are a good way to make money. Having said that, it bugs me that so many people have contempt for liberal arts degrees.They aren't worthless!

For example, there are a lot of possibilities open to people with English degrees. I should know because I am about to graduate with a BA in English. My education got me a paid internship at ORNL and a job that I actually like.

I also get contacted by recruiters from reputable companies all across the country on LinkedIn wanting to know if I am interested in applying for their open positions.

The trades are really important and a great way to make money. But not everyone is cut out for them. It is also worth mentioning that not everyone has a desire to work in the trades in the first place! The point is you shouldn't bash people who choose a path that is different from yours.

Last edited:
Yes! I love asparagus; And I grew up in a Backwoods area not 50 miles from Coach Pruitt; with the only Veggies we knew were Southern Staples like Cabbage, Corn, Tomatoes, Squash, Okra, and Turnip Greens. You can be Country, and you can be refined too.

You're refined?

I think it’s kind of odd to single out any single college undergraduate program as incapable of preparing a person for a career. I noticed the earlier poster mentioned philosophy as a useless major and it made me chuckle. I majored in philosophy at UT in undergraduate. That major increased my ability to think through and offer solutions to difficult problems and issues quickly. It also made me a much better writer. Because my thought process became clearer and more structured, I became more effective in conversation and speaking publicly. I was in sales while finishing my degree and then went to law school and did well. College, like most experiences in life, is what you make of it - no matter your degree or program.

Well enough to appreciate asparagus; and Probably more than you. I can come down to your level though; since I've been there.

Country folks incline to a fine sense of appreciation for vegetables, but that was not really what I was thinking with my question. So many good posts are ruined by ending with insult. Whatever my level, I recognized that flaw in myself long ago and stopped writing that way. No offense intended.

VN Store

Back