Pruitt on what led Vols to use protective helmet covers

He literally said he is using them to see if they help cut down concussions.
Yes he did. . Very observant. But that is also the most obvious reason to wear another protective device. But with my post I was wanting to know how it works. Does it track data and say player X today had this many hits to the head or what.

He literally said he is using them to see if they help cut down concussions.
But do a lot of concussions happen in practice? We wearing these in the game? And to me, DB’s, Wr’s, and QB’s would need them as much or more than the other positions.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
Yes he did. . Very observant. But that is also the most obvious reason to wear another protective device. But with my post I was wanting to know how it works. Does it track data and say player X today had this many hits to the head or what.
Did you see the pics? It's just extra padding.

I am sure if that type data and general information had been belabored in his response to the question, we and a lot of people would have said "man, just answer ti question".
If time and impressive results come of this action (and stats will back this up) we will see these things used in games by the whole team. Now won't that give the "fashion guys" something to howl about?:)

IF they were going to do that, they would epoxy accelerometers to the inside surfaces of the helmet. Side, back and top between the pads. You get a 3D representation of what G forces the helmet sees.

Reactions: Rockytopvol86
Hopefully, this will generate some useful data for those working on this issue.

The sad thing is you can get CTE without ever having a concussion just through the little pops of everyday contact over and over. This is true of any contact sport, though, and not exclusive to football. "Professional' wrestlers who engage in tightly choreographed fake fights are getting this.

Though the hard shell helmet will keep you from cracking your skull and limits very dangerous conditions stemming from that sort of trauma (like cerebral hematoma), it won't do a thing to help with your brain sliding inside its case like a bunch of loosely packed Vienna sausages.

That is an engineering problem which may or may not be fixable by materials engineers.

Also, most helmet engineers are not Neurobiologists, so that is why they are focused on the shell and not how the force is affecting the brain. It would be like someone designing a car crash mitigation system without understanding how forces directly affect the passengers.

Last edited:
Yes. I’ve read a few articles on it. And seen multiple pictures. I was only pointing out the deficiencies of the article :)
Why do you hate the protective helmet covers? They haven't allowed 1 single concussion and if one does it will be the fault of the tackler for hitting too hard. Jeez.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
Why do you hate the protective helmet covers? They haven't allowed 1 single concussion and if one does it will be the fault of the tackler for hitting too hard. Jeez.
Never stated hate for them. Protection against a good thumping is never bad. Protects from bad outcomes. But love your sarcasm Behr as usual

I am sure if that type data and general information had been belabored in his response to the question, we and a lot of people would have said "man, just answer ti question".
If time and impressive results come of this action (and stats will back this up) we will see these things used in games by the whole team. Now won't that give the "fashion guys" something to howl about?:)
I’ve never been the one for fashion unless it’s looking good on my wife! Lol

Any attempt is better than no attempt
Not always.

But the protective helmets.... I wonder if they get used to them in practice and it has an effect on how they play in a game? Not think about not having them on so they take more risk and get hurt, or be too careful knowing they don't have them on?

Probably over thinking it.

Reactions: Rockytopvol86
But do a lot of concussions happen in practice? We wearing these in the game? And to me, DB’s, Wr’s, and QB’s would need them as much or more than the other positions.

Concussions definitely happen in practice, teams aren’t getting better if their not spending a few days a week on contact oriented drills. The covers are no where near the point where college football teams would use them in the regular season yet either. The QB’s, WR’s and DB’s don’t need the covers because they rarely take contact in practice outside of a scrimmage, and even then the QB is still wearing a no contact jersey.

Come on Dan. At least give me a few sentences about the helmet designer and a stat or two. Three sentences followed by a press conference quote is just weak.

It’s like his articles can’t go over 50 words ever. It’s all about the clicks for that d bag Harrellson. He knows this and his other articles are a joke to the journalism community.

VN Store

Back