Pruitt not letting go of the defense

Fonz

“I don’t think it’s gonna be any different than it was before,” Pruitt said. "I mean, you know, I’ll hear every call that goes out there, and if there’s one that I don’t like, I’ll say, ‘Call this instead,’ right? It’s what you do.”

"You know, why am I the head coach at Tennessee? Probably because I was a good play-caller at one time, right? So I think me completely just getting out of it wouldn’t be very smart. Derrick has a great feel — and I’ve watched him in camp and in spring — of what we want to get accomplished. I mean, he’ll do a good job with it."

Pruitt on the defense:

giphy.gif

“I don’t think it’s gonna be any different than it was before,” Pruitt said. "I mean, you know, I’ll hear every call that goes out there, and if there’s one that I don’t like, I’ll say, ‘Call this instead,’ right? It’s what you do.”

"You know, why am I the head coach at Tennessee? Probably because I was a good play-caller at one time, right? So I think me completely just getting out of it wouldn’t be very smart. Derrick has a great feel — and I’ve watched him in camp and in spring — of what we want to get accomplished. I mean, he’ll do a good job with it."
Although we already knew this, I'm glad he said this publicly. It just warms my heart for some reason

Do we want our arguably one of the best DC's in the country not having anything to do with our defense. The man was literally telling our guys what play was coming in the Auburn game last year. If he knows what d is called and it's not what we need to be in and changes it then I'm all for it. He is the head coach after all it's his a$$ on the line. Can anyone here say that they wouldn't do the exact same thing if they were in his shoes

Guess he shouldn’t be the HC or anything.... you know because apparently HCs aren’t supposed to make changes based on what they see during plays...... apparently HCs aren’t supposed to have any say if they have a coordinator.....

Reactions: savannahfan
I know what's coming, but some of these same folks complained Jones needed to quit micro managing his OC and DC and let them call the game. Just saying.............Fire away.

Uh... One of the reasons he hired Chaney. So yeah.

Lol exactly but let’s be honest which HC doesn’t have the final say? Pruitt didn’t say he was going to take over the defense he said if he saw something he didn’t like he would change it and with Chaney worrying about all offensive affairs, Pruitt can do what he does best and help the defense get turnovers.

VN Store

Back