Pruitt not benching JG. Says he’s the best QB on the roster

... We literally ran the gas out of our RB’s and it showed late in the game...

The nuclear QB issues are probably blinding the discussion, but this part isn't getting talked about enough. We ran the ball 47 times, with 43 of them going to Chandler or Gray. When you play a game with only two healthy RBs, you have to account for them in play-calling. No wonder they were gassed late in the game.

In spite of being tired, both Chandler and The Gray Ghost played very well.

After talking to someone I know well and listening to Pruitt I think JG is the Qb that gives us the best chance to win. I think someone needs to sit down with JG, and tell him that he has to shake bad play off. The first half he played pretty good and then poof. Hopefully the rest of the team will also improve as the season goes. I still have confidence in the team and staff. Now is the time to keep pushing and keep getting better. Hopefully JG and the Vols will get out in front and the young qb's will at least get some live reps. GBO!

JGs problem boils down to one thing, he tries to only throw to open receivers instead of throwing his receivers open. Whether its timidity or he just can read the field IDK.

JG is going to have to step up, but he is our best option at this point. Maybe Mauer will get better, Shrout must not be making many strides either. Hopefully once Bailey gets to campus and will make strides fast. I will say we need to start recruiting a higher caliber player at qb, hopefully it starts with Bailey. I haven't given up on the season, JG needs to relax and go have fun he gets to down and it magnifies itself. No time to feel sorry for himself, all we can do is cheer them on and stay behind this team at this point. GBO!

You've got former Tennessee guys saying the QB position needs to be opened. Fleming and Swain both agreed.

Considering the state of UT's O-line, how in the world do we stand a chance fielding a QB that can't be trusted to throw such that we are 100% reliant on the rush? It doesn't take former players or 'the best staff in America' to realize that is not going to work. Chandler and Grey are good backs but UT can't just line up and run it down anyone's throat anymore.

Some others posted that JG might have hurt his hand at some point on Saturday. He looked pretty good in the 1st half so I am hoping it was the result of being dinged up versus a vote of no confidence by the coaching staff. At times, JG plays very well (Auburn, KY, first half of BYU...etc.) Unfortunately, the 30 mins that counted the most on Saturday night was not one of those times.

And that is how Chaney turned Crompton from a JG type performer into one who had a respectable final few games in 2009, beginning with Georgia game.
It's the only thing I can hope for at this point.

Actually that was Kiffin calling the offense and putting in gameplans.

We have established, proven, successful coaches across the board who have chosen JG and have stated he is the best option we have. Yet, all these armchair coaches have decided that our backups are better and know more than the coaching staff.

Just sit down.

We don't have a QB we can hang our hat on. It is what it is. Move on.

These "proven, successful coaches" signed the back up qbs and are supposed to be improving them. We and everyone else clearly sees that JG is not good. Not good at all. His mistakes and insecurities are literally costing the team points and wins. So where is the downside in playing someone else?

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
JGs problem boils down to one thing, he tries to only throw to open receivers instead of throwing his receivers open. Whether its timidity or he just can read the field IDK.

I think there are a couple of more factors as well. No feel for impending defenders, timing throws, or managing the line of scrimmage pre-snap. And I don't know that a coach can teach "feel."

Pruitt said Brian Maurer ran uptempo spread in HS. He is a really good athlete, probably runs a 4.6 40. Has good arm talent, gets the ball out of his hands quick.
Enough said!!!!!!!!!!!

Back in the day, Peyton wasn't ready to play. Casey also wasn't ready to play but when they were put in the game, you could see they had IT. Throw BM into the game and let's see what we got because right now we don't have a lot unless the lightbulb suddenly comes on for JG.

Man just another example of how naive/inexperienced he is as a coach. What little experience he has is all on defense so he’s just totally clueless. But if he’d have had just decent QB play we’d be 2-0. Instead we’re 0-2. Jg has gotten all the work with the 1’s and the other 2 guys haven’t had an opportunity to play. And we all know there are guys that just have it and guys that don’t. Until he puts the other 2 you get guys in we just won’t k ow if one of them has that moxie or not. I guess jg must look really good in non contact drills at practice. But he’s absolutely horrific in games.

We need to start a riot!

This coach is STUUUUPID! That comment proves it! Get this clown out of here IMMEDIATELY!!

Everyone and their sister can see that JG is BAD! Terrible!! This kid makes Justin Worley look like a National Championship caliber quarterback!

JG is by far the worst QB we've had in ages.

JG lacks the basic fundamentals of being a QB!!!

You can't tell me the highly recruited backups we have lacks the fundamentals??!

Who cares if he has the "experience"

The kid is an experienced LOSER at the QB position!

If a coach is this blind and can't see the obvious problem then I have lost all faith in this man and Tennessee needs to get rid of him IMMEDIATELY!!

Someone start a petition to have Coach removed!

Or at least start a petition to bench the spoiled little brat QB we have.

They've both done enough damage. We want to win!! And we can't not do that with JG behind center!! And if our "coach" can't realize that then he's a problem too and another reason why we will never win.

Yes I am pissed!! You can't fix stupid.

Reactions: DaUndergroundMan
Isn't this business about the backups not being "ready" the same bullsquirt we heard about Dobbs behind Worley?

Worley "won" the practices and apparently Dobbs couldn't see the broad side of a barn from 3 ft away but when Dobbs DID see game minutes he was a gamer...

Now, Pruitt might be right (and even he doesn't know for sure) but the only way we're going to find out with the current backups is to let 'em see live game minutes.

JG is obviously not getting it done...... And as nice a guy as JG is made out to be it's a shame that he can't seem to get it together on the field but this game isn't judged on how "nice" a player is. It's the final score and it's beyond obvious now that JG simply doesn't have it. For heaven's sake.... I was the same way in high school. Tore up the baseball field in practice but when gametime rolled around I wasn't worth beaning....

The nuclear QB issues are probably blinding the discussion, but this part isn't getting talked about enough. We ran the ball 47 times, with 43 of them going to Chandler or Gray. When you play a game with only two healthy RBs, you have to account for them in play-calling. No wonder they were gassed late in the game.

In spite of being tired, both Chandler and The Gray Ghost played very well.
I was very impressed with Gray. He will be special. Kind of reminds me of Kamara

If Maurer and Shrout are that far behind JG, then how are they even on the team? Why waste spots if they’ll never play and what incentive does either have to stay? How can both be so bad that JG is the best option?
Makes no sense at all

They will both transfer, we are stuck with jg for another year and this will cost Pruitt his job if he does indeed stick with jg. Watch shrout and Maurer transfer and excel at qb somewhere else

Reactions: joevol33
I have to wonder if the new 4 game red-shirt rule is being figured into the decision making process. Might be sticking with JG as long as he can so they don't burn a red-shirt year for either.

They will both transfer, we are stuck with jg for another year and this will cost Pruitt his job if he does indeed stick with jg. Watch shrout and Maurer transfer and excel at qb somewhere else

If they are both incapable of beating out JG they should transfer because surely they will be recruited over.

VN Store

Back