Pruitt has said all season JG is the teams best QB

OrangeBeachVol

And he is proving him correct. I didn't want to accept that along with many others on here and some who probably still won't accept it but I believe now its true. I have bashed JG and wanted him benched but I will admit to being wrong. He makes some bone-head plays at times but this winning streak would not be happening if not for JG. I have thought for sure he will transfer out after this season but now I'm thinking this guy is really a VFL. What do you all think?

Agree. While raw talent with Maurer and possibly Shrout may be higher, currently, JG minimizes bad mistakes and other two still makes some “freshman” decisions.

And this is no slam on the younger guys. I like their play and they very easily can become incredible QBs. Just think the mistakes they make and JG’s caution is our best play right now.

And he is proving him correct. I didn't want to accept that along with many others on here and some who probably still won't accept it but I believe now its true. I have bashed JG and wanted him benched but I will admit to being wrong. He makes some bone-head plays at times but this winning streak would not be happening if not for JG. I have thought for sure he will transfer out after this season but now I'm thinking this guy is really a VFL. What do you all think?

Hes been a VFL all along. He just plays better when he's being pushed....

As long as he never starts and is only a backup he seems to play Ok. It would be a good spot for him to remain in if he doesnt want to transfer so they can slowly ease him into whatever it is psychology majors do after sports are over.

Reactions: USMC-TNVOL
Hes been a VFL all along. He just plays better when he's being pushed....

This. Hes played much better playing backup, and entering the game later. If this is what motivates him and takes pressure off him then it should continue. I admit to thinking Maurer was our best shot, b/c he seemed to move the ball effectively, but would make a mistake and couldn't finish a drive. JG was playing that way early in the season, but has seemed to put it together as of late.

JG has the opportunity to prove a majority wrong (me for one) CJP has his back.
Not sure why JG lost his edge at the beginning of the season, but he did.
JG stated that he would do as the Coach desires after the tug.
JG now earning his role vs being the 1st option because of experience.
That little love tug on the face mask is Coaching and Player Responding.
I pray we are over the hump with him and move forward.
A lot of competition at QB next season if he stays, Bailey Arrives in JAN.

To paraphrase the Saturday night commentator...He plays really well when he has confidence, but not so much without it. We just need to find a way to keep his confidence level high. Although, given his performance in the past three games, he should be feeling more confident about his abilities.

One thing I'll give to JG is he's open that he didn't perform early in the year, and costed us. So, I'll give him credit for sticking with it. He's got a great opportunity to finish strong. Pruitt clearly leaning towards the more cautious approach with JG since defense is keeping the points off the board.

I never understand slamming Pruitt for his choice of Quarterback.

1. it's his job on the line to win games.
2. he's going to start and play the guys that he feels will help us win.
3. he watches the guys in practice.

I don't care if he put Cimaglia back there as the starter, because as the coach, that's his prerogative.

loved how the post game guy called JG the Mariano Rivera of the Vols........I would not quite give him that title but it is nice to see a young man make mistakes and learn from them.

I agree too and as I stated on the other thread I also think JG seems to do better coming of the bench.

If you watched the game you will notice oc opened up the offense much more in the second half. Maurer was rusty beginning because he hasn't played in a game in like 4 weeks.. He was improving as the game moved along with a very conservative game plan. had we stuck with that offensive game plan the whole game I think we would have got beat rergardless of who the qb was. Jg did play a good game, but 14 points is what we scored with jg playing imo the best game of the year. 14 points in a half will not beat very many good teams. imo pruitt needs to continue playing just as he has getting the backups game expierence and using jg as a back up. The most jg has ever scored offensively against an sec team is 24 points, thus our record the last few years. With all this said I will be backing whoever the coaches put in the game 100%

Reactions: KBVol
It’s amazing how the narrative changes win you win opposed to losing.
We scored 17 points vs UK.
We scored 30 vs UAB when the D forced 4 turnovers and gave the O that many more Opportunities.
We scored 30 vs Geo. St, 26 Vs BYU.
Has it really changed that much?
Everyone wanted him gone after the first 2, now there back on the bandwagon .
We’ve scored over 30 2 times all year and once was against UTC.
My problem all along with JG, he don’t put points on the scoreboard, I don’t see that that’s changed.
If Bryant is back , I don’t see 20 points beating
Mizzou. I see Maurer as our best chance to score over 20. jmop

If you watched the game you will notice oc opened up the offense much more in the second half. Maurer was rusty beginning because he hasn't played in a game in like 4 weeks.. He was improving as the game moved along with a very conservative game plan. had we stuck with that offensive game plan the whole game I think we would have got beat rergardless of who the qb was. Jg did play a good game, but 14 points is what we scored with jg playing imo the best game of the year. 14 points in a half will not beat very many good teams. imo pruitt needs to continue playing just as he has getting the backups game expierence and using jg as a back up. The most jg has ever scored offensively against an sec team is 24 points, thus our record the last few years. With all this said I will be backing whoever the coaches put in the game 100%
I agree, the whole team looked rusty that 1st QTR. even the D.
WR’s didn’t help, they didn’t make any tough catches,, they did in the 2nd half, a couple great ones.

Reactions: KBVol
Indictment on the younger guys. JG has set the bar awfully low this year, Maurer and Shrout need to pick it up so we can have good, solid, consistent, winning QB play next year. No doubt in my mind that Maurer can be that guy if he can stay healthy.

One thing I'll give to JG is he's open that he didn't perform early in the year, and costed us. So, I'll give him credit for sticking with it. He's got a great opportunity to finish strong. Pruitt clearly leaning towards the more cautious approach with JG since defense is keeping the points off the board.
I have always cheered JG till after the first 2 games he just wasn't getting Chaney's offense and Maurer brought excitement and was starting to play well when he got hurt at Bama now he is off and JG came in and has played better as a 6th man its really crazy Pruitt done went Spurrier on us lol.

Maurer had a couple of bad throws. Guess what, JG did too.

It's apples and oranges.

Maurer also delivered the ball right on the money several times last weekend but the receivers dropped the ball.

Coach should have gave Maurer and Shrout more reps vs. UAB. Dumbest coaching decision I've ever witnessed.

Maurer had a couple of bad throws. Guess what, JG did too.

It's apples and oranges.

Maurer also delivered the ball right on the money several times last weekend but the receivers dropped the ball.

Coach should have gave Maurer and Shrout more reps vs. UAB. Dumbest coaching decision I've ever witnessed.
Not if JG is the guy you really want in the game, and we all know he does.
So start the others, point out the mistakes they make and how JG is better,
=less questions from fans, media, or team about keeping going back to JG.
CJP” Maurer was cleared to play last week but didn’t get enough reps in practice to play”
JG had surgery so was limited in reps in practice,
OH ok coach , so who got all them extra reps???

I'm amazed that the Coaches no more than the posters!!

VN Store

Back