Pruitt grabs Shamburger's jersey - media snowflake loses it

I'm 78 and have been watching UT football since 1951. I' haven't seen that kind of physical behavior from a UT coach before.
Then you haven't been paying attention. Coach needs to address the mistake immediately and get the players attention. Coach Pruitt did exactly what was necessary to get his attention and the player responded in a posaitive manner. Both understand each other. All successful coaches know their players and how to handle them. Yes even previous UT coaches have used this type of discipline.

JHs coaches, by definition, are bordering on mentally challenged. We pay our coach millions $$$$ to represent UT to national TV not as a dumbass JHS coach but as a full grown, mature, educated HC of a prominent university.

He has to stop this nonsense. He will stop this nonsense if he wants to stay at the University of Tennessee.

Or he can go with Woody Hayes into the annals of idiocy.
Nonsense!!

Pruitt will join their ranks if he keeps this abusive crap up.
People who grew up on the football field, or any other sports know this is a non-issue. The guy is in a suit built to protect him from physical force, are you arguing for the emotional well being of shamburger?

I'm 78 and have been watching UT football since 1951. I' haven't seen that kind of physical behavior from a UT coach before.

You should've attended some of Johnny Major's practices. He was one tough mo fo on players and coaches. Yet, Tony Dorsett loved and respected him so Coach Majors.

Reactions: DixieVol
Neanderthalism.

Perhaps collegiate tiddlywinks is a sport more suited to your easily triggered feelings? Of course at the collegiate level they wear goggles, no chance of eye contact. Try it, you might like it.

Much of it has to do with intent and control. Pruitt had no intent to injure Shamburger when he grabbed the Jersey (I think grabbed is an overstatement after seeing the video, but I digress). Pruitt stayed in control of his demeanor and behavior. At no point would a reasonable bystander consider Shamburger in danger or at risk of injury, whereas video clearly shows that Woody Hayes was not in control of his behavior or demeanor at the time of the incident that led to his firing.

The 'writer' isn't a reasonable observer. If he were a lawyer, he'd be called an ambulance chaser.

He didn't grab him at 1st. It looked to me (like with JG) that Pruitt wasn't getting the response from him that he liked so he made sure Shamburger was paying attention. Idk
That's definitely how it went down at Bama. JG wanted to ignore coach to an extent it seemed and Pruitt wasn't having any of that. He makes sure he get's his verbal point across.

Reactions: Other_Guy
Pruitt’s actions are a problem. He obviously failed to control his anger. We teach our kids to keep their hands to themselves unless in self defense or in defense of someone else. How does Pruitt have a moral leg to stand on when dealing with a young man who lost his temper and struck a woman.
Fulmer needs to deal with this before Pruitt ruins his own career.

For those of you who could care less about acceptable behavior these issues will also negatively impact recruiting.

Feel free to start the name calling.

Reactions: JCFL '95
Hayes, first, grabbed and shoves and pushed players THEN he choked and attacked one. This is Pruitt's legacy if he doesn't GTFU.

You are REALLLLY reaching here. But while we’re at it Mr Soothsayer...what are the winning lottery numbers and the score of the UT v FLA game next year. Need to make a little $$.

The initial butt chewing was over. I think Sham must have mouthed off or said something that generated the jersey pull. That chewing out was about much more than a penalty.
Seemed as though Sham was in the process of "pulling-up" and the contact was more accidental in his view and didn't feel as though a flag should have been thrown. He could have easily mouthed-off to an official in such an instance. A good chance something of that nature took place and prompted Pruitt to climb his butt.

Pruitt’s actions are a problem. He obviously failed to control his anger. We teach our kids to keep their hands to themselves unless in self defense or in defense of someone else. How does Pruitt have a moral leg to stand on when dealing with a young man who lost his temper and struck a woman.
Fulmer needs to deal with this before Pruitt ruins his own career.

For those of you who could care less about acceptable behavior these issues will also negatively impact recruiting.

Feel free to start the name calling.

Isn't it sad that so many posters, who themselves are parents, exalt this absurdly unnecessary behavior?

It is so easy to find the posters who played football vs. the ones who didn’t.

Played: “I don’t see the big deal, the player deserved getting his rear chewed.”

Non Player: “CP is crossing the line and will get fired if he keeps doing it.”

Reactions: Rickyvol77
I can assure you, if Pruitt weren't winning games, this board would be going crazy over the shirt pull too. Case in point, remember Pruitt reaching up and tugging a face mask with his little finger? This board went crazy. I thought it was ridiculous then and so is this. I bet those men respect him as a coach...I would imagine most have missed out on the blessing of having discipline in their life, and find themselves to be thankful for it.

Last edited:
You know what was the best part of it all? After the chewing, Shamburger stood there and took it then went back in the game and finished the game. He didn’t wine and cry, he learned from it and went back in and handled his business.
Last year? Lots of wine. This year? Nary a drop.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Then you haven't been paying attention. Coach needs to address the mistake immediately and get the players attention. Coach Pruitt did exactly what was necessary to get his attention and the player responded in a posaitive manner. Both understand each other. All successful coaches know their players and how to handle them. Yes even previous UT coaches have used this type of discipline.
Name one HC at Tennessee that has grab a facemask or pulled a player by his jersey in this manner ?

VN Store

Back