Pruitt Ends Pregame Speech With "We Are Tennessee."

You might think Im crazy but the best part for me came right after CJP said lets lay it on the line for these Seniors....and the chorus of voices said "Yes Sir"! Isn't it always embarrassing when a coach gives an impassioned speech....and players are looking around....not paying attention...or mumbling under their breath... CJP is a Coach. A look me in the eye...listen to what I say...do what I say...respect what I say...and we will get there together kind of Coach. The only kind I loved to play for.

Over the years UT has had a lot of interaction with other SEC schools as far as coaches go. I can't see Pruitt getting us in a position like the 90's where we were constantly ranked in the top 10 and then walking away from it. As far as learning on the job, his mentor, PF is an asset right around the corner. Pruitt could not have walked into a better opportunity for his 1st HCing job. My feeling is that if he doesn't already have a strong sense of gratitude that he'll develop one.
Us fans were great this year as far as support goes. The players sense it. We still have to be patient and Pruitt needs players and they need developed. We didn't beat any of the better teams on our schedule this year and that's our next step as far as I'm concerned. Other than beating quality opponents, keeping this staff together is another test we'll face sooner than later,imo.

Great post Sara! I’ve always wondered if Pruitt has ever actually “liked” being at Tennessee. Maybe he is starting to feel like it’s his baby. That, and the fans are showed up, in support, thick and thin. Mostly thin.

I think if you could ask him privately and get an honest answer if he would rather be the HC at 'Bama, he might say "yes," but short of that, what other job could he possibly want? I think he loves college football and everything that it represents traditionally. He has all of that at Tennessee, and he has it in a Southern context, which I am sure he also appreciates. I'm not so sure his personality would play at USC or Michigan.

Knoxville is a perfect place to live and raise a family. He has great support, and I think he likes his boss.

I have no idea if he can recruit enough players to win it all, but I do think he knows exactly what a good football player looks and acts like, and I think he knows what a good coach looks like. He will keep guys around him that get as many good football players as they can and compel those players to develop and perform at their best. That seems like a formula that can move the program ahead by leaps and bounds. I don't know what his ceiling is, but I do believe we haven't come close to seeing it.

I think Tony Basilio nailed it when he said something shifted in JP during the Gump game. I think he got a taste of exactly the level of corruption and favoritism the SEC has for the Gumps, especially the “are you ready, Coach?” Ref call when we went into the wildcat and the goaline targeting call. His guys fought through that and gave their all and I think JP became less Gump and more Vol as a result.

What happens going forward? Who the heck knows. But for now, JP seems to be firmly a Vol!!

I think if you could ask him privately and get an honest answer if he would rather be the HC at 'Bama, he might say "yes," but short of that, what other job could he possibly want? I think he loves college football and everything that it represents traditionally. He has all of that at Tennessee, and he has it in a Southern context, which I am sure he also appreciates. I'm not so sure his personality would play at USC or Michigan.

Knoxville is a perfect place to live and raise a family. He has great support, and I think he likes his boss.

I have no idea if he can recruit enough players to win it all, but I do think he knows exactly what a good football player looks and acts like, and I think he knows what a good coach looks like. He will keep guys around him that get as many good football players as they can and compel those players to develop and perform at their best. That seems like a formula that can move the program ahead by leaps and bounds. I don't know what his ceiling is, but I do believe we haven't come close to seeing it.
As to your first thought:
Bo Schembecler
Pat Dye
Vince Dooley
Coaches from the enemy who said no to going back home.
Doug Dickey
Lane Kiffin
Coaches who made a mistake going back.

images

I don't think this man will ever leave Tennessee willingly.

Not for Bama, not for the NFL, not even for retirement. He's going to be coaching Volunteer lads for the rest of his life.

And we're gonna be winning championships with him.

There's a logical explanation for that, but this isn't about logic, not with the video clip Sara posted. This is about heart.

Jeremy's heart is now and forevermore Orange.

Go Vols!

Reactions: coach799 and rgvol

VN Store

Back