Pruitt comments on Coach Heupel

“I think for any fan base, it’s just patience,” said Pruitt. “Everbody wants it right now and nobody wants it more than the players and the coaches. I think if you look at Tennessee this past year, I think Josh and his staff have done a really, really great job of transitioning. That’s always tough when you replace a staff.”

“I think they did an outstanding job. I think they’re building something there — especially on offense. If you can score as many as they can, you’re dangerous every week.”

Former Vols coach Jeremy Pruitt comments on how Josh Heupel is doing at Tennessee

3 members of Pruitt's staff is coaching high school now. Not sure replacing Osovet, Felton, and Nieds with a ham sandwich would have hurt the quality of play.

3 members of Pruitt's staff is coaching high school now. Not sure replacing Osovet, Felton, and Nieds with a ham sandwich would have hurt the quality of play.
I think Osovet is a quality coach. I think his only reason for being down is his association with that staff. He is respected and will be coaching at a higher level again.

I think Osovet is a quality coach. I think his only reason for being down is his association with that staff. He is respected and will be coaching at a higher level again.

How many of the thousands other than UT of D1, D2, or D3 programs gave Osovet a shot? Literally 0. Is every other NCAA coach in the past 30 years wrong or is Jeremy Pruitt right?

Neids needs to take notes. Even if Pruitt harbors resentment, he knows better than to voice it publicly.

Printed word is forever and the past is the past. Learn to let it go, at least on the surface
Pruitt was many things but self-deluded about his cleverness wasn’t one of them. Nieds, however, fancied himself as a budding Kiffin troll wise when he was in Knoxville…he wasn’t. Venturing back out in that life raft on a high school assistant salary doesn’t look good on him.

Yes, humorous irony is one of my favorites. I’m still considered a part of that group, even though I transitioned to a flat-footed redneck a few years back…

1655981991287.png
What Pruitt really meant to say... 'We do it all for you'

GO VOLS!!!

These comments cement what I believed all along. UT told Pruitt to pound sand, Pruitt filed suit saying he had all the evidence for the NCAA, UT said look here's a third of what the buyout was, speak nice and go away.

Now he's just doing image rebuilding.
I doubt that as any payment from UT would have to be public.

Reactions: IndianaVol
How many of the thousands other than UT of D1, D2, or D3 programs gave Osovet a shot? Literally 0. Is every other NCAA coach in the past 30 years wrong or is Jeremy Pruitt right?
Yeah, something always seemed to not fit just right there with Osovet in my opinion.

If the guy is such a football genius, why isn't he coaching at a higher level or been given anything more than an analyst spot?

Is he guilty by association, does it have to do with his deep ties back to Probst?...just makes me wonder.

I doubt that as any payment from UT would have to be public.
Didn't think about that angle with UT being a public institution.

Then again, I think there have been lawsuit settlements in the past with Publix schools that are sealed....could be those were criminal type cases to though.

Sort of akin to the Titanic (post-iceberg) commenting on the battleship USS New Jersey's WWII campaign in the Pacific.

Last edited:
Pruitt’s tenure here has to be the weirdest tenure in the history of coaching tenures.

The dude took the actual worst Tennessee team in history (2017) and beat two Top 25 teams in year 1, and in that same year got absolutely throttled by Vandy and Mizzou. He also had a really good QB on the roster that he left on the bench all year.

In year 2 he put together an impressive 8 win season, including the second longest winning streak in football at that time that even bled into year 3. But in that same year lost to GA State and BYU.

In year 3 we started off 2-0 and were ranked #14, then went to Georgia and were beating them at halftime. The second half of that Georgia game just completely wrecked our entire program. We got obliterated and were a joke of a football team for the rest of the season.

That 3 year stretch was a legendary level of inconsistency.

Last edited:
A ham sandwich could also have been an improvement for the Dline vacancy for more than half the year. The drop off from Y1 to the final staff tells you all you need to know about working for Pruitt.

Last edited:
He handled that the best way possible if he wanted to coach in the SEC or some other Power 5 conference

Pruitt wants to coach college again and probably will. Niedermeyer knows he likely won’t get that chance

Yeah, something always seemed to not fit just right there with Osovet in my opinion.

If the guy is such a football genius, why isn't he coaching at a higher level or been given anything more than an analyst spot?

Is he guilty by association, does it have to do with his deep ties back to Probst?...just makes me wonder.

There's a lot more to being successful as a college coach than being just smart. Again, there's a reason none of the thousands of D1, D2, or D3 programs ever had any interest before UT.

Reactions: IndianaVol
He handled that the best way possible if he wanted to coach in the SEC or some other Power 5 conference
I don't see how he ever returns to college coaching after publicly threatening to rat the entire UT athletic program out unless he got his buyout.

Maybe if he was one of the greatest coaches of all time he would get another college job once his inevitable show cause is over but what program will take a chance on a coach who at best was a good (not great) assistant with his baggage and who may rat you out if he thinks he's been wronged?

He couldn't even get a job with the USFL when it's based in Birmingham, the area where most of his connections are.

VN Store

Back