Pruitt calls out Tennessee's O-line, demands summer step-up

I don't think it's this new coaching staff, (yet). Last year was their first year to work with the crap we have. Hell, I don't think the Chatta Mocs would let half of our guys transfer there when they get recruited over and transfer. Give this staff a break. You can't make a Pillsbury doe boy look and play like an SEC caliber player when the talent is just not there. And we know it's not. We all knew when Pruitt got here from our other coaching debacles that the first year doesn't really mean a lot. This is the first full year these guys will have with this staff. Let's give them that and see what comes out of fall camp. If it still sux. Keep recruiting and get a new O-line coach. Time will tell. Go Vols!

Get outta here with your logical and reasonable take!

Trey Smith 5 star
Wanya Morris 5 star
Darnell Wright 5 star
R Johnson 4 star
N Niehulus 4 star
M Tatum highly recruited 3 star
Question; Did the O-line look so bad when Maurer was in??
O-line is not nearly as bad as it seemed the past 2 years. Dlinemnen just pin their ears back on JG because he doesnt scramble and he holds the ball too long. Why is he holding it so long? Because he isn't processing the play fast enough. The opponent knows this and so does our O-line. Understand that anytime JG takes the field, the offense as a whole does not feel like they can score easily. None of them believe in him.

Good Lord you turned the O-line woes into JG bashing, impressive.

So, KG is good enough of 6-7 wins but Maurer could win 1-2 games. But, if Maurer was the starter his many would we win?

Pruitt calls out Tennessee's O-line, demands summer step-up

Its almost like Pruitt is eagerly reading my posts here on VN! ......or not....but at least he clearly has the same mindset and is publicly stating what is obvious to anyone watching. Sadly, I think a number of the players are just what we have and we are going to have to wait till the new recruits have a year or two under them before we get into real contention. Without a solid O line, JG and RBs cant really drive the run or throwing game and 3 and outs gas the D for the 4th QTR. Hope Pruitt and Chaney and the new guys coming in light a fire under people.
Hopefully he’s similarly lighting a fire under his beleaguered OL coach and new OC to get this fixed.

There’s enough talent in this group to get the job done. They don’t all have to be 5 star studs...... just tough, smart physical guys who are correctly taught blocking schemes and techniques that will make them successful. They only need to learn to work together and in concert with one another to be greatly improved. If they can somehow be taught how not to continually take the wrong first steps, take the wrong angles, to play with too high a pad level, and to literally whiff on or pass off guys who they are head up on with, all of which they constantly and consistently did last year.......them they can be successful.

football is a team sport. All positions are connected and he is trigger man. We could have Alabama's O-line and still not win but 8 games with him at QB...

Yeah when the left tackle whiffs on a block it's typically the QB's fault, Tom Brady would get wreaked by this line.

Trey Smith 5 star
Wanya Morris 5 star
Darnell Wright 5 star
R Johnson 4 star
N Niehulus 4 star
O-line is not nearly as bad as it seemed the past 2 years. Dlinemnen just pin their ears back on JG because he doesnt scramble and he holds the ball too long. Why is he holding it so long? Because he isn't processing the play fast enough. The opponent knows this and so does our O-line. Understand that anytime JG takes the field, the offense as a whole does not feel like they can score easily. None of them believe in him.
And how about those same OLs who spearheaded the 114th best rushing attack last year while allowing fully 1/3 of Tennessee rushing plays to lose yardage, a staggering stat that led, by a country mile, the country last season. Was that JG’s fault too? Did he wait too long to hand the ball off or something?

And they killed it on Saturday night, dominating our incredibly thin and inexperienced 1st team DL, a group that every reasonable follower of Tennessee football is greatly concerned about as being a major issue in 2019, to the tune of 2.9 yards per rush.

Meanwhile, JG, they guy you blame for every ailment on the Knoxville, Tennessee campus, comes off a season where he was literally the best QB in the SEC and one of the top 2-3 QBs throwing the ball last year while under pressure, which was essentially every time he dropped back to throw.

No need to respond to this post, because we already know your thoughts.....Jarrett Guarantano absolutely sucks.

football is a team sport. All positions are connected and he is trigger man. We could have Alabama's O-line and still not win but 8 games with him at QB...
Won 5 games with the worst OL in college football history. Pretty sure he’d win far more than 8 games with one of the best OLs. Plus, and try not to let your head explode when you read this next time, JG is a much better passer than Tua when under defensive pressure. 😳😲. Keep on hating though.

Trey Smith 5 star
Wanya Morris 5 star
Darnell Wright 5 star
R Johnson 4 star
N Niehulus 4 star

Of the top 3 guys on that list only 1 of them participated Saturday. And hes only been here about 4 months. IIRC Kennedy was a 4* guy that left an elite program to come here and he didnt play either.

I may be in the minority on this, but I like that he calls out the O-line. To me this just says that he is not afraid to recognize a deficiency and meet it head on. There is nothing worse than a coach that avoids issues that weaken the team and hope that they solve themselves. I like that he is transparent in the way that he sees the team and is not afraid to call it what it is. If he is this blatant about the status of the line he is not shying away from taking on the challenge and making it a priority. The team will respond well to seeing that CJP isn't telling them one thing and saying another to the media. It is about culture and buying into making the team better no matter who's feelings it hurts.

Won 5 games with the worst OL in college football history. Pretty sure he’d win far more than 8 games with one of the best OLs. Plus, and try not to let your head explode when you read this next time, JG is a much better passer than Tua when under defensive pressure. 😳😲. Keep on hating though.

KB what is there to hate on??????? He's literally thrown 20 tds over 2 seasons.
You complain and get depressed about how bad Tennessee Football is yet you want to SUPPORT one of the main reasons for the current state of affairs??

I promise I won't rub it your face when Maurer wins games for us in 2019. Just so long as you cheer for him!!

Reactions: 08Vol
And how about those same OLs who spearheaded the 114th best rushing attack last year while allowing fully 1/3 of Tennessee rushing plays to lose yardage, a staggering stat that led, by a country mile, the country last season. Was that JG’s fault too? Did he wait too long to hand the ball off or something?

And they killed it on Saturday night, dominating our incredibly thin and inexperienced 1st team DL, a group that every reasonable follower of Tennessee football is greatly concerned about as being a major issue in 2019, to the tune of 2.9 yards per rush.

Meanwhile, JG, they guy you blame for every ailment on the Knoxville, Tennessee campus, comes off a season where he was literally the best QB in the SEC and one of the top 2-3 QBs throwing the ball last year while under pressure, which was essentially every time he dropped back to throw.

No need to respond to this post, because we already know your thoughts.....Jarrett Guarantano absolutely sucks.

Just cheer for Maurer when he takes over!! Remember, he's a UT Vol QB now also.

So, KG is good enough of 6-7 wins but Maurer could win 1-2 games. But, if Maurer was the starter his many would we win?

It depends. He really helped himself coming in early.
I think by the 3rd game, he will be in there and play most of it. He's going to take a significant amount of the pressure off the O-line.
Veteran WR's with talent. 3 seniors and along with Palmer. DWA at TE. Chandler and Jordan are so versatile.

Our defense will be improved. Bituli and D Taylor are two huge athletic disrupters that are out to make some money this year. Throw in Crouch, D Johnson and Roman Harrison and our pass rush should have some real fire! Bryce and Alontae at CB will be a strong point.
With Maurer scoring points, they will get rest and be even more effective.
I won't give you a number, but I will say with him at QB more of our games will be swing games than not. He'll give us a chance to win most of our games because of the senior-led group of skill players.

I may be in the minority on this, but I like that he calls out the O-line. To me this just says that he is not afraid to recognize a deficiency and meet it head on. There is nothing worse than a coach that avoids issues that weaken the team and hope that they solve themselves. I like that he is transparent in the way that he sees the team and is not afraid to call it what it is. If he is this blatant about the status of the line he is not shying away from taking on the challenge and making it a priority. The team will respond well to seeing that CJP isn't telling them one thing and saying another to the media. It is about culture and buying into making the team better no matter who's feelings it hurts.
I agree...I just hope he didn't miss the opportunity to get Pittman as a package deal with Chaney. I hope i'm wrong about Friend

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Trey Smith 5 star
Wanya Morris 5 star
Darnell Wright 5 star
R Johnson 4 star
N Niehulus 4 star
Can't believe that JG didn't block better for our running backs...

I don't think it's this new coaching staff, (yet). Last year was their first year to work with the crap we have. Hell, I don't think the Chatta Mocs would let half of our guys transfer there when they get recruited over and transfer. Give this staff a break. You can't make a Pillsbury doe boy look and play like an SEC caliber player when the talent is just not there. And we know it's not. We all knew when Pruitt got here from our other coaching debacles that the first year doesn't really mean a lot. This is the first full year these guys will have with this staff. Let's give them that and see what comes out of fall camp. If it still sux. Keep recruiting and get a new O-line coach. Time will tell. Go Vols!
I agree, but it is certainly fair that need to see noticeable difference in performance from Y1 to Y2. Players have been in system 2 years now, and in same S/C off season program. All the guys are back, w/ some newcomers, so though I'm not expecting SEC E championship this year, if we are yielding the same results as last year on offense, I think it's OK to start questioning if we've got the leadership. I'm still optimistic...for now.

Trey Smith 5 star
Wanya Morris 5 star
Darnell Wright 5 star
R Johnson 4 star
N Niehulus 4 star

Is JG also responsible for the poor run blocking?

Reactions: k-town_king
He can call them out all he wants. What they need is good coaching and better recruiting. I hope he's not still calling them out in 2 more years.

If he posts up another 5-7 season back to back, he won't have 2 more years.

Reactions: 08Vol
O-line is not nearly as bad as it seemed the past 2 years. Dlinemnen just pin their ears back on JG because he doesnt scramble and he holds the ball too long. Why is he holding it so long? Because he isn't processing the play fast enough. The opponent knows this and so does our O-line.
Mostly agree
Understand that anytime JG takes the field, the offense as a whole does not feel like they can score easily. None of them believe in him.
Is this a guess or do you have some info? The team seems to support him.

I'm not sure what team you've been watching, but when JG has time he makes throws. He'd also have a great running game if he had Bama's O-line, which would make him even more effective. It'd be hard to win only 6 or 7 games with Bama's O-line, because we have capable people at the skill positions. The O-line is what allows the trigger man, and thereby everyone else on the offense, to do anything.

Look at this decade plus of dysfunction by offensive position group. We've had at least pretty good QB play at various points. Good/great RBs. Good/great WRs. What position group has been consistently bad?

VN Store

Back