Pruitt’s Contract and Buyout details

So basically Fulmer wasn't getting fired this year either.

Im not sure how he "protected" himself tho. Unless you believe he was in total control for giving himself the extension. If thats true his extension is irrelevant as well. He's not firing himself.

Fulmer's buyout is cheap in comparison, and he's not going to fire Pruitt, so extending Pruitt to a contract with his buyout clause, makes it nearly impossible for Fulmer to be let go this year, because no AD is coming into this mess that Fulmer has created and be told, "you have to give Pruitt 2 more years because we can't afford to fire him".

It's not relevant that our AD is so divorced from reality by his emotional connection to the position of head coach at the University of Tennessee, that he could not envision a situation where a coach that he hired, could perform so poorly that he would have to be fired?

Im not taking up for Fulmer and his decision to raise and extend Pruitt which added to the buyout. Im not even arguing that Fulmer shouldn't swallow his pride and make the move now.

If he was seriously considering firing him today, the additional 5 million is a fraction of what they are going to lose in revenue do to covid. That by itself is not keeping Pruitt employed here, which was the original point you made.

Reactions: 12 Monkeys
Fulmer's buyout is cheap in comparison, and he's not going to fire Pruitt, so extending Pruitt to a contract with his buyout clause, makes it nearly impossible for Fulmer to be let go this year, because no AD is coming into this mess that Fulmer has created and be told, "you have to give Pruitt 2 more years because we can't afford to fire him".
If you fire Fulmer, you re doing it to hire a new HC shortly after. Same year.
The additional 5 million on Pruitt's buyout isn't changing that.

From the link below.
He’s now tasked with leading Tennessee out of these pandemic times, something that has the athletic department projected to lose around $40 million this year. Fulmer has taken a 15 percent pay cut for the year because of that, which is reportedly the largest cut of anyone within the athletic department.

Toppmeyer: Tennessee AD Phillip Fulmer receives contract extension

They could have a booster step up and stroke a check for both Pruitt and Fulmer tomorrow and it wouldnt change anything but the next set of names on the next set of buyouts to be paid in 3 or 4 years.

Last edited:
Im not taking up for Fulmer and his decision to raise and extend Pruitt which added to the buyout. Im not even arguing that Fulmer shouldn't swallow his pride and make the move now.

If he was seriously considering firing him today, the additional 5 million is a fraction of what they are going to lose in revenue do to covid. That by itself is not keeping Pruitt employed here, which was the original point you made.

Fulmer not firing Pruitt has nothing to do with Money for him, he's all in because Fulmer is always all in on his hires, but everything to do with money for everyone else involved above him that he answers two in the form of the Chancellor and the University President.

Fulmer not firing Pruitt has nothing to do with Money for him, he's all in because Fulmer is always all in on his hires, but everything to do with money for everyone else involved above him that he answers two in the form of the Chancellor and the University President.

This was the original post I quoted.

Covid did no such thing. Pruitt is getting year 4, and most likely at least a portion of year 5 because Fulmer moronically extended his 6-year contract to 8 years before he'd even coached his 3rd season, tacking on $5 million onto his buyout.

To finish this up. I agree with the first bold. Its the main reason why the additional buyout is irrelevant until you fire Fulmer and thats after those above him gave him an extension.

Its slowly trending toward the idea that the same problems you have with Fulmer and Pruitt are not leaving with them.

Covid shortfall has zero impact on the fact that Pruitt's buyout is currently over $12 million dollars, when it could and should be a more managable $6.84 million dollars, that could be paid out over 5 years where there will be no covid shortfall.

Covid shortfall definitely impacts the financial decision to fire Pruitt with a 12 million dollar buyout and another 12-13 million to commit to a new staff because you can fire Pruitt with that buyout and hire some G5 coach or up and comer. To sit here and say that the 40-50 million shortfall the for the entire AD isn't a factor here is ignorance.

This was the original post I quoted.

To finish this up. I agree with the first bold. Its the main reason why the additional buyout is irrelevant until you fire Fulmer and thats after those above him gave him an extension.

Its slowly trending toward the idea that the same problems you have with Fulmer and Pruitt are not leaving with them.

You do realize that Fulmer is not the be all end all when it comes to firing a coach or not, right? If the chancellor or the president, said "you have to fire Pruitt", Fulmer has to fire Pruitt. Just like when Fulmer didn't want to find the money to keep Barnes, and Randy Boyd stepped in, and found the money to keep Barnes.

By extending Pruitt, Fulmer went out of his way to make it as unpalatable as possible for anyone above him to say "you have to fire Pruitt".

Please educate me on why COVID is responsible for this team quitting when they have adversity or are behind? How is COVID responsible for being poorly prepared and unable to make adjustments? I think most of us understand COVID has cause financial suffering throughout college and pro football. Poor on field product and the financial impact of COVID are two separate issues. If they aren’t, please educate me. I am to the point of I don’t care if JP comes back for his 6 year contract. I have been around some great leaders and mentors and IMO, I don’t think JP has those qualities. I guess we will find out.

You obviously don't see how Covid has impacted things from a financial perspective as to why it is difficult to fire Pruitt. Either that or you're one of those people who thinks they know how to spend money better than the millionaires and billionaires that make up our booster community and would be the ones financing any coaching change in the midst of a 40-50 million shortfall before you even get to the buyout and new coaching staff costs.

Covid shortfall definitely impacts the financial decision to fire Pruitt with a 12 million dollar buyout and another 12-13 million to commit to a new staff because you can fire Pruitt with that buyout and hire some G5 coach or up and comer. To sit here and say that the 40-50 million shortfall the for the entire AD isn't a factor here is ignorance.

Pruitt doesn't have a $12 million dollar buyout without the extension.

Covid shortfalls have zero to do with Pruitt being extended, and subsequently having a $12 million dollar buyout.

Pruitt doesn't have a $12 million dollar buyout without the extension.

Covid shortfalls have zero to do with Pruitt being extended, and subsequently having a $12 million dollar buyout.

Pruitt's buyout isn't an issue if Covid doesn't happen. And guess what the bigger issue is here..... That's the shortfall. You're not dealing in reality if you don't think Covid causing a shortfall is bigger deal than Pruitt's Buyout. Why all of the sudden are buyouts an issue after the last 4 coaching contracts we've had.......

But hey, I guess people know how to spend other people's money better.....

You obviously don't see how Covid has impacted things from a financial perspective as to why it is difficult to fire Pruitt. Either that or you're one of those people who thinks they know how to spend money better than the millionaires and billionaires that make up our booster community and would be the ones financing any coaching change in the midst of a 40-50 million shortfall before you even get to the buyout and new coaching staff costs.
I understand the financial hardship COVID has caused our nation. This team is poorly prepared for games and half time adjustments are none existent. How is COVID responsible? This team quit in the 2nd half of GA, didn’t show for KY and were beat by a more motivated and prepared Arky team. Why? This has nothing to do with JP being fired or UT finances.

I understand the financial hardship COVID has caused our nation. This team is poorly prepared for games and half time adjustments are none existent. How is COVID responsible? This team quit in the 2nd half of GA, didn’t show for KY and were beat by a more motivated and prepared Arky team. Why? This has nothing to do with JP being fired or UT finances.

Once again, you skip over the topic and are changing the discussion. The team's performances have zero to do with the impact of Covid on the AD's fiscal shape this year...... But keep on yapping.

Pruitt's buyout isn't an issue if Covid doesn't happen. And guess what the bigger issue is here..... That's the shortfall. You're not dealing in reality if you don't think Covid causing a shortfall is bigger deal than Pruitt's Buyout. Why all of the sudden are buyouts an issue after the last 4 coaching contracts we've had.......

We make more money that USCe, and they fired Muschamp with a $13.2 million buyout, even though they were facing an estimated $58 million covid shortfall before his and his staff's buyouts.

Tell me again how we couldn't have fired Pruitt with a guaranteed $6.84 million buyout and his staff's mitigated buyouts prior to Fulmer unnecessarily extending him.

You do realize that Fulmer is not the be all end all when it comes to firing a coach or not, right? If the chancellor or the president, said "you have to fire Pruitt", Fulmer has to fire Pruitt. Just like when Fulmer didn't want to find the money to keep Barnes, and Randy Boyd stepped in, and found the money to keep Barnes.

By extending Pruitt, Fulmer went out of his way to make it as unpalatable as possible for anyone above him to say "you have to fire Pruitt".
To your first question, yes. If those above Fulmer want Pruitt gone, he can be.
To ask my own, somewhat rhetorical. Could Fulmer have been told or forced not to extend Pruitt? Could he have been told he wasn't getting extended either? Assuming he asked or hinted that he should.

IF $ is preventing Pruitt from being fired, that 40 has more to do with it than the 5.

The university doesn't pay the $12 mil all at once so the shortfall in revenue shouldn't be a hindrance to doing what needs to be done? How long would you keep an employee that's ruining your brand and hurting your organization even if it was going to cost you a few years of his salary getting rid of him?

The university doesn't pay the $12 mil all at once so the shortfall in revenue shouldn't be a hindrance to doing what needs to be done? How long would you keep an employee that's ruining your brand and hurting your organization even if it was going to cost you a few years of his salary getting rid of him?

4 coaches removed. And thats giving credit for Fulmer having a good career that on the backend was the beginning of this slide.
That question is not as easily answered as it once was.

4 coaches removed. And thats giving credit for Fulmer having a good career that on the backend was the beginning of this slide.
That question is not as easily answered as it once was.

It's not a good situation we're in but keeping Pruitt around past this season will have us in no better situation at the end of next season. If Pruitt returns I'm betting on several assistants leaving, most on their own for opportunities in more stable programs. That means we'll have to overpay for replacements or go bargain shopping to fill out the staff which will set the program back even further.

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation Fulmer put the program in. I think the less painful route is to kick the Gump to the curb and hope for better with the next guy.

It's not a good situation we're in but keeping Pruitt around past this season will have us in no better situation at the end of next season. If Pruitt returns I'm betting on several assistants leaving, most on their own for opportunities in more stable programs. That means we'll have to overpay for replacements or go bargain shopping to fill out the staff which will set the program back even further.

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation Fulmer put the program in. I think the less painful route is to kick the Gump to the curb and hope for better with the next guy.
The end of Fulmers coaching career started the slide. UT hired 3 coaches and fired 2 of them before he came back. UT was in a "situation" when that happened. Fulmer just hasn't fixed it. The AD alone has never been the only or biggest issue IMO.

Firing Pruitt will feel good. Similiar to Jones and Dooley. History says that feeling will last a few weeks until a hire is made. If you re lucky the buzz may carry over a year or 2 at the most.

We make more money that USCe, and they fired Muschamp with a $13.2 million buyout, even though they were facing an estimated $58 million covid shortfall before his and his staff's buyouts.

Tell me again how we couldn't have fired Pruitt with a guaranteed $6.84 million buyout and his staff's mitigated buyouts prior to Fulmer unnecessarily extending him.

Yet USC has never had to make a huge buyout in this era, we have made 3 in the last 12 years.

USC had unanimous booster support to fire Muschamp, we do not even have unanimous booster support on any sport at UT.

USC firing Muschamp is not in any way comparable to our situation. Using mental gymnastics to try to make them comparable is hilarious and delusional.

USC is literally making their first fire and hire in big time money era. Tennessee could be on their 5th coach in 12 years. Not a single comparison can be made financially or institutionally.

They still have to pay the salary in full. So yes the boosters would be committing a full 12 million to fire Pruitt. They’d also be asked to commit another 12-13 million for a homerun coaching staff hire because Lord knows we can’t fire Pruitt and pay 12 million to go and hire some G5 coach..... you have to nail this hire.

So here is an estimate...
Fire before next season - 12.6 million
Fire in/ after 2021 season - 10 million
Fire in/ after 2022 season - 7.5 million
Fire in/ after 2023 season - 5 million
Fire in/ after 2024 season - 2.5 million
Fire in/ after 2025 - minimal cost

So it appears that Fulmer/ UTAD have tied themselves to Pruitt for the next 2-3 years minimum....

So to me it’s all about the recruits and the assistant coaches...Pruitt needs to get his staff corrected to a championship level in the offseason and continue recruiting at a high level...

If he’s able to do this then results will start to show up in 1-2 more years.

This of course doesn't take into account, the extension he will get for no reason.

I'm sick of people saying PF loves TN I'm sure he does but he makes BAD decisions.
Also if I was worth 15 million dollars and it all came from the manure farm I would love them to.
UT has made his mouth, belly and billfold awful big

UT freakin love to pay loser coaches. It’s the one thing they’re good at.

I think Pruitt gets canned at the end of next season following another abysmal year. Hell, they may go 0 for 12. Fulmer is at risk then and so is the entire program. The pencil neck egghead they are sure to replace him with will likely turn us into Vandy 2.0.

If Fulmer doesn’t get it right at the end of this season get ready for Hell.

VN Store

Back