Proud of these men!

BruinVol

it’s obviously the craziest political world of my lifetime that I have had to live in but this effort led by Cal is one that has real genuine motives and deserves support.

I know it’s not popular here but Cal is a coach I have really grown to like and respect as a man over the past few years and this makes that even more true.

Cal is the only coach who has had two different programs who have had to forfeit all wins for a season. If you respect him, you are either an attorney or a politician.

Or you believe the man has done some good for people and understand that all humans have faults.

The point is many many many people In this world do bad things but also make a positive impact on the people in their communities

And for the record I still think cal is a bad floor basketball coach

I feel empathy for coaches that cross the line helping players qualify to play college athletics. For some it’s their Best shot out of a bad social structure. It’s cheating and it’s wrong but guys like Tyndall and cal are trying to win and help such kids. I at least understand the temptation.

And oh the fact Barnes owns his ass helped my stance soften over the years on Cal

Last edited:
As someone who lives in Memphis area, I've seen Cal use his wealth and influence to do some good. I've also seen Cal take any shortcut (legal or illegal) to win...

Did not watch video, but I like Cal as well.

I don't know what it is about coaching at Memphis that makes one act like a child, but since he's been at UK, he's been a class act for UK and the SEC.

I hate it when we lose to them, but otherwise, I have a deeper sports hate for Auburn rather than UK now.

I really thought that Calipari (my most hated coach) going to UK (my most hated team) would cement him as my most hated coach for the foreseeable future. However, he's so dang charming and likable, similar to Bruce Pearl, that it is really hard to hate him. It was much easier when he was taking digs at Tennessee from the west side, but he's sort of put that to bed and is generally very complimentary of Tennessee since he's been at UK, and especially since Barnes has been here.

I want to despise him but it's difficult. He really care about kids, which doesn't preclude him from caring more about himself and lining his own pockets, but you listen to him talk and it's obvious he cares about his kids, too.

I really thought that Calipari (my most hated coach) going to UK (my most hated team) would cement him as my most hated coach for the foreseeable future. However, he's so dang charming and likable, similar to Bruce Pearl, that it is really hard to hate him. It was much easier when he was taking digs at Tennessee from the west side, but he's sort of put that to bed and is generally very complimentary of Tennessee since he's been at UK, and especially since Barnes has been here.

I want to despise him but it's difficult. He really care about kids, which doesn't preclude him from caring more about himself and lining his own pockets, but you listen to him talk and it's obvious he cares about his kids, too.

I agree with that fully. He's really surprised me during his time at UK.

I never thought Cal was a bad person in general.

He bends the rules a lot just like most of the other top coaches in college basketball. I think his excuses for not winning gets very tiresome due to having freshman every single year but that’s how his system works.

He does care about his players though, I’ll give him that.

I’ll add another reason I think it’s easier for us to “like” him. Barnes really does seem to genuinely consider him a friend.

Reactions: VolGee4
I never thought Cal was a bad person in general.

He bends the rules a lot just like most of the other top coaches in college basketball. I think his excuses for not winning gets very tiresome due to having freshman every single year but that’s how his system works.

He does care about his players though, I’ll give him that.
The youth excuse every year does get old. Living in KY, I hear it far too often.

Being from Memphis, too, Cal is a character. I love beating him, but he is charismatic and I think it's also hard to hate him. The other thing that helps is that our own coach has a great relationship with him. When your own coach has no animosity toward him, then it also helps to like him. (Sorry Bruin, I didn't see your comment about this).

Sidenote: Did most coaches just grow a beard during the pandemic? And did Frank Martin look old or was that just a bad angle?

I cannot believe I am actually saying this (5-7 years ago I would be kicking my own ass lo) but I actually don't mind Cal anymore. Back when he first started at UK and was bringing in future NBA elite stars - Wall, Davis, Cousins, etc I thought he was going to have a run like Saban and hang 5+ banners at UK. Living up here in BBN I wouldn't have been able to deal with it. It's already unbearable that they flaunt their 8 banners already (even though most of the people that are alive today up here weren't even alive for half of them...)

I feel like Cal has already reached his peak. Before he was constantly getting the best of the 5 stars (Wall, Cousins, Davis, Towns, Booker, Murray, Fox, Bam, SGA, etc)... the past few classes it seems like he's lost his touch. They aren't really the same type of 5 stars that come in and dominate right away. I honestly don't see him winning another championship, and year by year more and more UK fans are going to start wanting him gone. The gray hairs have never really liked the one and done approach that he has had, but they were constantly going to Final 4's so they accepted it. They aren't going to keep putting up with it if the Elite Eight remains his ceiling. In comparison this will be similar to Coach Barnes if S16's remain to be his ceiling here.

VN Store

Back