Proof UT Defensive Coaches are Good......

The thing that has been great to see this year is a team that has improved as the season has gone on. The improvement hasn't come in a straight line, but we are a much better team now than we were than the season started. You couldn't really say that about Butch's teams, especially the 2016 and 2017 teams. We've also gone through this season without a rash of injuries.

South Carolina, for example, thrashed our defense running the ball when we played them. A lot of people thought Kentucky was going to do the same to us, but we shut them down. That's what good coaching does, especially when the team is one-dimensional like Kentucky.

I'd love to have another shot at Florida and South Carolina. South Carolina is obviously a winnable game and I think Florida would be as well if we played them today. I still think we lose to West Virginia, but perhaps the game is a lot closer.

The question mark on defense next season is the DL hard to see any of the freshmen recruits making a difference next season. We have some guys on the team now that will be adequate but not great. Linebacker and secondary looking to be top quality next season so we should move up to at least the top six in the SEC.

Just goes to prove that you don't have to be rated as a 4 or 5 Star recruit coming out of HS to play like one on a college team.

What makes me happy about this more than anything is his offer list is really not impressive. His only SEC offer besides us was from USCjr.

This tells me our current coaches have an eye for spotting a player.

I learned a long time ago that any kid can put together a awesome looking highlight reel, but can they play at this level?

Lyle seemed to really struggle with this. Just because some recruiting service says a player is a 4 start does not mean they really are.

Thanks for posting, OP.

From the article...

Bryce Thompson, Tennessee – 81.8
Thompson leads all true freshmen cornerbacks in overall grade, pass-rush grade and coverage grade this season as he’s been incredibly efficient across the board. He has been sticky in coverage mainly, despite allowing four touchdowns, he has intercepted three passes and broken up another six to give him nine total plays on the ball on 44 targeted passes as the primary coverage defender. A sneaky good blitzer, Thompson has rushed the passer just eight times in 2018, yet brought home six total pressures (1 sack, 5 hurries).
And doing so on a D that had little pass rush for much of the season

Reactions: Evergrenevol
The question mark on defense next season is the DL hard to see any of the freshmen recruits making a difference next season. We have some guys on the team now that will be adequate but not great. Linebacker and secondary looking to be top quality next season so we should move up to at least the top six in the SEC.
Why is it harder to see any freshman recruits making a difference next year, when we have seen ones that were basically only recruited by 1-2 other SEC schools make a big difference this year?
Is it that you trust some recruiting ranking services valuation of players more than a proven expert like our HC?

Yes, because we need egregious negativity that will bury the spark of improvement in this team......
Didn't say we have not improved , but the final outcome(Win vs Loss) would be the same. WV is truly a top ten team, and Florida has our number the last decade or so, even when we had the more talented team. But I don't want to bust your bubble. :eek:Carry on.

Reactions: Alto1
Starting two freshman corners reminds me of Eric Berry and Brett Vinson starting back in 2006 or 2007.

The only bubbles I bust are the ones I enjoy on the top of a frosty beverage, however....even after the Missouri laydown, I do think the outcome for the Florida game could have been different.....

VN Store

Back