Proof: America provoked Japan into war

Rasputin_Vol

"Slava Ukraina"
McCollum/ Eight Action Memo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"It is not believed that in the present state of political opinion the United States government is capable of declaring war against Japan without more ado [...] If by [the elucidated eight-point plan] Japan could be led to commit an overt act of war, so much the better."

The McCollum memo contained an eight-part plan to counter rising Japanese power over East Asia:

A. Make an arrangement with Britain for the use of British bases in the Pacific, particularly Singapore
B. Make an arrangement with Holland for the use of base facilities and acquisition of supplies in the Dutch East Indies
C. Give all possible aid to the Chinese government of Chiang-Kai-Shek
D. Send a division of long range heavy cruisers to the Orient, Philippines, or Singapore
E. Send two divisions of submarines to the Orient
F. Keep the main strength of the U.S. fleet now in the Pacific[,] in the vicinity of the Hawaiian Islands
G. Insist that the Dutch refuse to grant Japanese demands for undue economic concessions, particularly oil
H. Completely embargo all U.S. trade with Japan, in collaboration with a similar embargo imposed by the British Empire

Reactions: 4 people
Wikipedia is a reliable source especially when it says "This page has issues" at the top.

Reactions: 2 people

a whole lot of hmm in this post. none of it damaging as you think. America has a right to do what it wants as long as it is not intervening with forces. You quote sending ships to the Philippines, that was as much sovereign US territory as was Hawaii and Alaska at the time. How much fighting were those forces in before Pearl Harbor, none. sending ships to guard our territory is not provocation for war. or at least that is what you say with Russian divisions lined up on the other side of the Ukraine border. yes we took actions that we knew would lead to war, the only other thing we could have done was roll over and play dead. If you have a better solution besides playing along with the 'nice innocent Japanese' i would love to hear it.

Reactions: 1 person
He has some good points. The oil embargo alone was one of the major factors leading to an attack, and our government knew it would.

Reactions: 3 people
He has some good points. The oil embargo alone was one of the major factors leading to an attack, and our government knew it would.

I'm not sure you have a decent enough grasp on history to be in this conversation.

Run along now.

Reactions: 7 people
once again how dare we not trade with the nice japanese. and give them what they need to fight the war.

And I see Skippy never replied to that post in the other thread where he made a fool of himself.

Sure we should have continued to give the Japanese oil and resources to continue their rape and pillage of China after their invasion.

No big deal.

Seems he has a pretty good grasp to me. The oil embargo was a huge factor in the lead up to the attack on Pearl Harbor.

because of all the oil coming out of Hawaii? and attacking some one is such a great way to get resources from them.

once again how dare we not trade with the nice japanese. and give them what they need to fight the war.

We knew it would lead to war. No one has claimed we had to trade with them, but everyone knew that it would force their hand.

And I see Skippy never replied to that post in the other thread where he made a fool of himself.

Sure we should have continued to give the Japanese oil and resources to continue their rape and pillage of China after their invasion.

No big deal.

well he does support Russia, including their use of nukes as deterrents, so.....

VN Store

Back