Procedures for allowing players to play in games this year?

37620VOL

Barely-Known Member
So we've got 40+ players in quarantine for 14 days based on contact tracing. If we had a game this Saturday, would any of these players be able to play? What is the official procedure for allowing players to play in games this year?

At some point it seems like you test all the players on Friday, quarantine and mask up everyone until you run on the field. If you're negative, you play; if not, you stay quarantined. You can't be holding guys out of games due to contact tracing alone. This isn't the policy, just my thoughts on it. Does anyone know how this is going to work?

Good questions, 37620.

But one correction: we have 27-28 players in quarantine based on contact tracing. The others of the 44 were injuries (9) and players who actually tested positive (7 or 8). The latter probably were the starting points of the contact traces that got the 27-28, one would guess. Heh.

Whether the standard quarantine is for 10 days or 14 days or something else, we don't seem to know here on VN.com. It has been asked before.

But I think the answer to one part of your question is, no, they wouldn't be able to play while in whatever quarantine duration is. The quarantine isn't a quarantine if you only do it unless you don't want to. Right?

On the other hand, the question has come up a few times on the boards whether a negative test AFTER the quarantine begins is enough to 'jail break' a player. Logically, you would think so, right? Especially a test taken 3-5 days after the quarantine started, so that any viral load is detectable.

Would be really nice to get someone who really knows the policies to come explain it to us.

Based on what I've been reading a rapid test with 15 minute results is coming pretty quick...This will be huge as far as being able to test those in contact and not having them have to isolate for several days.

Rising to the COVID-19 Challenge: Rapid Acceleration of Diagnostics (RADx)

Pac-12 commish Larry Scott: November football is possible

"Test results would be available in as little as 15 minutes. The university athletic departments could perform it daily. As Oregon State’s Dr. Doug Aukerman explained, “By doing daily testing you can essentially narrow the window of when somebody would have potentially started to become positive or begin to start shedding virus down to probably a 24-hour window or even shorter.”

"That reduces the stress of contact tracing. You catch the infections before they’re infectious. That not only limits the spread of coronavirus, in theory, but reduces the number of people you’d have to quarantine."

Canzano: Pac-12 testing breakthrough sparks some football hope

Reactions: savannahfan
On the Volquest podcast this am, they said 14-day quarantine and negative tests did not matter. I find this untenable and will result in many canceled games.

I really hope we are not stuck with a 5 day wait on testing. There is no excuse for that at a University like UT. All students should have access to the rapid test and same-day results, if positive.

if you test negative AFTER you had contact with a positive person, why should contact tracing keep you out? the point of contact tracing is so you know who else may be infected. Thus, if those contacts test negative, there is no point to continue to keep them out?

if you test negative AFTER you had contact with a positive person, why should contact tracing keep you out? the point of contact tracing is so you know who else may be infected. Thus, if those contacts test negative, there is no point to continue to keep them out?

I think the concern is the dormancy period (incubation). You test a guy 1 day after exposure, he tests negative but then presents positive for COVID on day 5.

I found this study... Estimated Incubation Period of COVID-19 - American College of Cardiology
"The authors estimated the median incubation period to be 5.1 days (95% confidence interval, 4.5-5.8 days); 97.5% of people who were infected exhibited symptoms by 11.5 days (95% confidence interval, 8.2-15.6 days)."

So if I got to make the policy: if you are contact traced to COVID, you quarantine for 6 days, then test. If that comes back negative, you can practice. Everyone tests Friday night for home games and as close to departure as possible for away games. If you're positive, you isolate and quarantine. If you're negative, you're on the game roster and you go in a "bubble" with the other negative players and coaches until game time.

in my household of four, three tested positive. Me, the fourth, tested negative three times. The doctor said its highly unlikely that I could live in that house without social distancing or any precautions and not have had the virus myself. So, we gotta assume that I did have it, although showing no symptoms! The other three who tested positive had very little discomfort other than occasional headache or low grade fever, but biggest complaint was losing sense of taste. Nobody suffered as much as they would have with a bad cold! What I experienced is far from the killer that is potentially there! And I am very aware that it has killed a lot of people! But that killer might be as high as the 0,01% exception!

And we must shut down our world because of this? At least a lot of testing will tell a lot of people that they have it, when otherwise they would not have known!

if you are a football player and you have a headache and don't feel like playing, take an aspirin and take the day off!

testing is worth very little in the grand scheme of things!

and for most who catch it, the doctors tell us there is nothing to do! It will pass!

and we cancel everything because someone tells us how bad it could be?

I have stated this before. The CDC has come out and said you do not have to quarantine people who have been in contact with someone who is asymptomatic. Asymptomatic carriers also rarely spread it. Eventually, as the fear wanes, we gotta start pushing back on these draconian measures with our football players. Hopefully things will start trending that way. Most business aren't testing their employees constantly. All they are doing is checking their temperature and moving on with their day. If everywhere tested as rigorously as sports teams there would be nothing open!

Based on what I've been reading a rapid test with 15 minute results is coming pretty quick...This will be huge as far as being able to test those in contact and not having them have to isolate for several days.

Rising to the COVID-19 Challenge: Rapid Acceleration of Diagnostics (RADx)

Pac-12 commish Larry Scott: November football is possible

"Test results would be available in as little as 15 minutes. The university athletic departments could perform it daily. As Oregon State’s Dr. Doug Aukerman explained, “By doing daily testing you can essentially narrow the window of when somebody would have potentially started to become positive or begin to start shedding virus down to probably a 24-hour window or even shorter.”

"That reduces the stress of contact tracing. You catch the infections before they’re infectious. That not only limits the spread of coronavirus, in theory, but reduces the number of people you’d have to quarantine."

Canzano: Pac-12 testing breakthrough sparks some football hope

About a month ago I had a granddaughter have to q-tine. She had a test here, not Memphis, that took only a few (2-4) hours to get the results. She was neg. but the company she works for would not let her come back to work until the full 14 day wait was over. Seems every place has a difference in policy.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
About a month ago I had a granddaughter have to q-tine. She had a test here, not Memphis, that took only a few (2-4) hours to get the results. She was neg. but the company she works for would not let her come back to work until the full 14 day wait was over. Seems every place has a difference in policy.

My wife is a human resource manager for a big company....It's gotten better (some better) but the employees that had to be tested due to contact were waiting between 10-14 days to get results.....Several employees were out 2 weeks to find out they tested negative.

It does not take 5 days to get results. The biggest lab running tests in Knoxville has been at 48 hours for at least two months.

What’s the issue with the instant tests? I’ve seen urgent care centers offering them.

I have stated this before. The CDC has come out and said you do not have to quarantine people who have been in contact with someone who is asymptomatic. Asymptomatic carriers also rarely spread it. Eventually, as the fear wanes, we gotta start pushing back on these draconian measures with our football players. Hopefully things will start trending that way. Most business aren't testing their employees constantly. All they are doing is checking their temperature and moving on with their day. If everywhere tested as rigorously as sports teams there would be nothing open!

Yet the state of TN says this... "A household contact of an asymptomatic case can be released 14 days after the case has
completed their minimum 10-day isolation period."

For anyone bad at math, that's 24 days for someone (who may never actually get Rona) in a household with an asymptomatic case.
https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/h...l-coronavirus/Isolation-QuarantineRelease.pdf

Reactions: PlanetVolunteer
UTK is returning test results in 24 to 48 hours. No idea where "5 days" is coming from.

My test results came back negative after a fifteen day delay. Think about that! I could have had it and gotten over it in that amount of time, and in all probability did!

And it is the antibody test that comes back in fifteen minutes and its pretty much a worthless test too!

Testing is fast now if they have a lab onsite. My child’s doctor did a test onsite and results came in 10 minutes. It was negative.

VN Store

Back