Pro Football Focus Ranking all 127 FBS QB's

Tnphil

100. JARRETT GUARANTANO, TENNESSEE
Guarantano has been the same in 2020 as he has always been throughout his collegiate career: Inaccurate. On throws beyond the line of scrimmage, Guarantano has thrown an uncatchable ball 37% of the time, the fifth-worst rate in the entire FBS. Last year, Guarantano’s accuracy issues hindered the Tennessee offense, but he at least didn’t put the ball in harm’s way. That has changed this season, as his turnover-worthy play rate has nearly doubled and ranks third-to-last in the SEC.

College Football: Ranking all 127 FBS quarterback situations ahead of CFB Week 12 | College Football | PFF

Guarantano has been the same in 2020 as he has always been throughout his collegiate career: Inaccurate. On throws beyond the line of scrimmage, Guarantano has thrown an uncatchable ball 37% of the time, the fifth-worst rate in the entire FBS. Last year, Guarantano’s accuracy issues hindered the Tennessee offense, but he at least didn’t put the ball in harm’s way. That has changed this season, as his turnover-worthy play rate has nearly doubled and ranks third-to-last in the SEC.

College Football: Ranking all 127 FBS quarterback situations ahead of CFB Week 12 | College Football | PFF
Feel for those other 27.

Yeah that’s the real Vol fan spirit showing through

tenor.gif

You can have a fast race car, but if your driver is half blind and drunk as hell it won’t be as fast as it could and should be

...and because of our overall tendency to run the ball on first and second downs, many of those 37% of uncatchable balls are on third down. And of the 63% that ARE catchable, many of those are short dinks to the third or fourth option, or a pass to the flat.

Reactions: knox73
I remember when after week 1 people had KJ Costello on their Heisman list. Boy have things changed lol. Now he ranks 119th (19 spots behind JG)

Mississippi State is dead last in rushing offense with 21.5 YPG. I don't care how good of a passing QB you have, you aren't winning games if you literally never run the ball at all.

Reactions: Carl Pickens
This is an unbiased report (I assume ) ranking our 5th year QB 100 out of 127? Playing him is insanity. CJP had better stop or it'll cost him a career.

Its a team sport, everyone around him needs to play better. Pruitt

Mississippi State is dead last in rushing offense with 21.5 YPG. I don't care how good of a passing QB you have, you aren't winning games if you literally never run the ball at all.

Yeah but boy were you singing his praises after week 1 "Blah blah blah THIS is what a 5th year QB should look like blah blah blah!" Now he's ranked worse than even our ****** QB.

Last edited:
So the other guys would be 128 or below.

He hasn't been good. He is the best we have.

Both are true.
So basically your only defense is he’s better than a HS qb after 5 years in a college program? I don’t see many disagreeing that he may be the best option AT THIS TIME. The complaint and uprising isn’t due to that argument. It’s because UT has more talented qbs sitting on the sidelines listening to the same BS you’re spewing that “He’s our best chance to win” while UT is getting its ass kicked every weekend in a year of no significance in terms of eligibility.

By this time IF Pruitt DIDN'T think like you, there would be a qb with a much higher ceiling taking snaps every Saturday and we’d likely be closer to 4-2 than 2-4. Which means.... if YOU were the coach, your way of thinking would have your seat just as hot. You should let that sink in.

Maybe.... just maybe...... I wasn’t all that far off last year when I said “ Pruitt should stop criticizing the other qbs and start preparing them.” Your response was a carbon copy of butchnas, “You don’t sacrifice wins to prepare for the future.” So now I ask you both...... where are these “wins” that would’ve been “sacrificed”?

I don’t look so “stupid” NOW....do I?

So the other guys would be 128 or below.

He hasn't been good. He is the best we have.

Both are true.
No. The others haven't had the chance to play and be coached up.

You have nothing left but this argument. Even you cannot make ridiculous arguments excusing JG any more. All you have is that he's the "best UT has". But that's not a "fact" in evidence. The others may or may not have higher ceilings. The only thing we have a really, really clear read on... is that JG's ceiling is MUCH too low. So if you are going to lose anyway... it is WAY past time to take a chance on someone else. A "risky" strategy is ALWAYS better than a strategy with no hope of success.

Pruitt made a strategic decision in January of 19. He looked at a bad situation at QB with JG, Shrout, and a true Fr and chose to spend the next 9 months trying to build JG's confidence and correct his problems. It wasn't an "unreasonable" strategy. He just badly overestimated how fixable JG was. JG processes slow. He always has. He doesn't anticipate throws well or instinctively. He never has. I don't fault Pruitt for that original decision. But he is stubbornly clinging to a strategy that very clearly failed.

I know you never wanted to accept these facts... but you really just need to face them now and stop crapping on the guys who haven't really gotten their shots yet.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back