Press Conference?

Should have selected the best candidate, male of female, former player or not. No sour grapes, but should have used the same criteria used to select men's coach, that is, the best available. Please, this is not knocking KJH or not giving her a chance but stating the facts.

Last edited:
Reactions: glv98 and flint
Should have selected the best candidate, male of female, former player or not. No sour grapes, but should have used the same criteria used to select men's coach, that is, the best available. Please, this is not knocking KJH or not giving her a chance but stating the facts.
Fulmer tried to go after the top coaches male and female and most of them declined to even interview.

I have been a Kellie fan even before Holly actually got he word.

Was even more convinced today after her press conference. She will make us all proud as the face of Lady Vol Basketball. Players will love her, and they will play hard for her. Looking forward to watching her team hit the floor. LADY VOLS WILL BE THE REAL LADY VOLS AGAIN.

Just watched the entire press conference. I must say, it’s a breath of fresh air to have someone who can string a few sentences together. Coach Harper gave direct clear answers, showed concern first and foremost for current players and outlined a good gameplan going forward.

I still have my reservations, but I was impressed. I look forward to seeing if she can back it all up.

KJH is obviously much more comfortable being interviewed. Holly’s interviews were painful to listen to from day 1. She never looked confident being asked questions.

Also obvious that she LOVES Tennessee you can see it in her emotion and all over her face when she talks about it. Holly said it all the time, but there was no emotion.

Last edited:
I just watched KJH's press conference. It is uncanny how much her mannerisms, speaking style and ethos resemble CPS.

I am not in the camp that KJH is CPS 2.O (or that she should try to be) but it's like Kellie is the daughter CPS never had.

Honestly, her demeanor and poise will make her a more commanding presence and I think her appeals to the Lady vol legacy will carry a lot more weight with the players.

If Holly was the friendly aunt who everybody liked; Kellie is the executive who you want to be sure to impress.

I loved KJH's line that "she is not here to be Pat but Kellie who learned from Pat"; super savvy statement.

Also, KJH acknowledged that when she was hired at NCST, that she was still too young and inexperienced to handle the complexities of that job but that she is a different, more mature coach now. I thought that a was thoughtful, self-aware, and honest assessment.

Last edited:
I just watched KJH's press conference. It is uncanny how much her mannerism, speaking style and ethos resemble CPS.

I am not in the camp that KJH is CPS 2.O (or that she should try to be) but it's like Kellie is the daughter CPS never had.

Honestly, her demeanor and poise will make her a more commanding presence and I think her appeals to the legacy that players need to respect will carry a lot more weight.

If Holly was the friendly aunt who everybody liked; Kellie is the executive who want to be sure to impress.

I loved KJH's line that "she is not here to be Pat but Kellie who learned from Pat"; super savvy statement.

Also, KJH noted that when she was hired at NCST, she was the youngest coach in the country. That is fair qualifying consideration. At the time, she was too young and inexperienced to handle the complexities of that job (a paraphrase of her statement).

Freaks me out a little, but it’s also kind of nice.

Reactions: madtownvol
I just watched KJH's press conference. It is uncanny how much her mannerisms, speaking style and ethos resemble CPS.

Honestly, her demeanor and poise will make her a more commanding presence and I think her appeals to the Lady vol legacy will carry a lot more weight with the players.

If Holly was the friendly aunt who everybody liked; Kellie is the executive who you want to be sure to impress.

Also, KJH noted that when she was hired at NCST, she was the youngest coach in the country. She acknowledged that she was too young and inexperienced to handle the complexities of that job but that she is a different coach now. I thought that a was thoughtful, self-aware, and honest assessment.
One correction. She was the youngest when hired at Western Carolina not NCST.

One correction. She was the youngest when hired at Western Carolina not NCST.
Yep, I stand corrected,. She mentioned her hire at Western Carolina right after she discussed her time at NCST and I missed that transition on first view. I corrected my original post, thanks.

Last edited:
That's not what he said. He said he went into hiring process with an open mind for the best possible coach but was basically told during the process the hire needed to have Lady Vol ties...

Phil was kind of rambling and his statement was hard to follow but, to place his statement in context, let's not ignore that he also said that his staff had gone through a grinding search and talked to all kinds of coaches all over the country and then he realized a "lady vol" would be great and that Kellie knocked it out of the park. So, I think he meant that 1) his goal was "hire the best, man or woman, lv or not; 2) and some of his advisors said "hire someone with ties to the LV program." 3) In the end, he realized the best choice was, in fact, a great LV (Kellie being the specific LV) so his staff had it right all along, after doing the grinding search.

In the end, it was a very roundabout way of saying he thought Kellie was the best candidate and that being a former LV helped make her the best. So, he was tipping his hat to Kellie and also CPS.

But, yes he could have scripted that statement a whole lot better.

They showed about 12 photos, 2 of a few of the team members. Lou and Jackson was in one and Davis, Massengil and Collins were in another photo. Collins looked very wore out and had a concerned expression on her face.

In the end, it was a very roundabout way of saying he thought Kellie was the best candidate and that being a former LV helped make her the best. So, he was tipping his hat to Kellie and also CPS.

That's your interpretation. My interpretation is that Fulmer was clearly handcuffed with this hiring. And I know you're thinking ol'Darth is always stirring the pot (which is true) but I know at least one Lady Vol beat writer and other media members saw it the same way...

Reactions: LadyVol1908
I didn't get to watch, but listened on the sports animal. So much better to listen to than Holly, she may or may not be able to reclaim final fours and championships but she is clearly more capable than HW. You can hear a point guard leading the offense in her voice, confident and savvy. Loved it and I hope she is the one to return Tennessee back to contention.

Now to go watch the presser.

VN Store

Back