Press Conference?

Except that's exactly what Fulmer said, or at the very least clearly implied: "I'm telling you, it became very clear to me as the interview process started that we had our choice in the country of coaches to talk to."

I mean I know you all worship everything DP says here as the absolute gospel truth and I would hate to do anything to rattle his flock, but something isn't adding up here...
Had a choice to talk to, not to hire.

We know this, as much as we "know" anything on a chat board, because one of the most reliable "insider" posters ever on this site told us. Here is the narrative of the search from someone who always knows whereof they speak:

Ironically, no one will ever believe KJH wasn't a done deal to please the blue hairs from jump street, and that a female former LV wasn't always going to be the answer. In reality it happened more by default than by design. Hard as it is for us to swallow, the job turned out to be a pretty big "meh" for the elite WBB coaching world. I know PF said in the pressor today there was alot of interest, but unfortunately most of it was on our part, not the prospective hires.

I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of money PF had to work with. I was really glad he was able to reach out to men as well as women, and he seemed to at least inquire with everyone we asked him to - the star coaches, the up and comers like the Oregon guys and Matthew Mitchell, the splash hires like Lawson. In another post, DP said Wes Moore and Gail G were reached out to but both declined. PF went to the final four for some reason, and many think it was to talk to Niele Ivey. Came up empty. Interest was most definitely not what they expected. Once down to KJH, Fargis, and Amanda Butler, KJH, who happened to be on a Cinderella tourney run at the time, was a no brainer. I truly believe PF did the best he could.

And isn't it just our luck, the one star or semi star that was clearly interested, Walz, was a no go due to money and to being in perpetual LV jail for decades old insults.

Before ya'll get mad at me, I love KJH and wish her all the best. I'm thrilled for her and her family, her Sparta kin must be over the moon. She very well might work out and I pray she will. But she's definitely a gamble, much more so than any of the higher level prospects. Her lackluster record worries me, but I realize she's never had the advantages she has her hands on right now. Godspeed KJH!
untitled.png

Fulmer did a poor presentation. I got the impression that someone handed him a script to read just as he went onstage. Sort of stumbled through it saying the right things but didn’t say it with conviction. Kellie said the right things as expected. The press conference for Pruitt was much better IMO.
Press conferences mean nothing when it comes to the win lost results so I hope all turns out to most people satisfaction ( you will never please everyone, especially on volnation).

I think part of Fulmer's problem yesterday had to do with the stress from Monday with the Barnes and UCLA stuff. Also I believe the press conference was moved up from Friday and he probably hadn't been able to go over what he was going to say and hence reading from a script that was just handed to him.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Except that's exactly what Fulmer said, or at the very least clearly implied: "I'm telling you, it became very clear to me as the interview process started that we had our choice in the country of coaches to talk to."

I mean I know you all worship everything DP says here as the absolute gospel truth and I would hate to do anything to rattle his flock, but something isn't adding up here...

As you said, it is open to interpretation. PF's statement seems very hedged. We had our "choice" of coaches to "talk to" is quite different from we had our "choice of coaches to hire". Technically, in any search, an AD would have a choice of coaches to talk to; the critical issue is whether the contacted coach wants to continue the conversation. It seems in this search, that the number of interested parties was not so large.

On the we are all "Sheeple", well DP has a heck of a track record (and I have not always liked the info he/she forshadows). Among others, he/she called Cooper's departure; Diamond's decision to leave; Hayes' exit; and Middleton's transfer.

You like to disparage everyone who disagrees with you but DP has proven to be a very reliable source but you are free to believe what you want. We are living in a post-truth society so creating your own preferred reality is quite consistent with the prevailing zeitgeist.

Last edited:
You like to disparage everyone who disagrees with you but DP has proven to be a very reliable source but you are free to believe what you want. We are living on a post-truth society so creating your own preferred reality is quite consistent with the prevailing zeitgeist.

I do believe DP. I also believe due to his position he is someone with an agenda who has to be selective with the information he shares. Fulmer's press conference filled in a lot of important (IMO) gaps in DP's narrative that brought much needed clarity and suddenly this cluster- hiring process makes a lot more sense...

Reactions: madtownvol

VN Store

Back