Preseason SEC Poll - TN picked 6th

I've come to the conclusion that KK, McCoy, Davis, Green, and Massengill will start but I expect Key, Horston, Burrell and if able Brown to play a huge role in games. Key can run the floor when she wants to evidently her high school coach didn't press the issue Kellie will and I've seen a little practice footage and Key was very active under the basket was giving KK fits getting her shot off.

Tamari Key on Hudl

Womens basketball media day is today at 11 am est 10 central. Rennia Davis and Jasmine Massengill representing the Lady Vols.

Reactions: LVsinceJV
I've come to the conclusion that KK, McCoy, Davis, Green, and Massengill will start but I expect Key, Horston, Burrell and if able Brown to play a huge role in games. Key can run the floor when she wants to evidently her high school coach didn't press the issue Kellie will and I've seen a little practice footage and Key was very active under the basket was giving KK fits getting her shot off.

Tamari Key on Hudl

I really like that Key can catch the ball high and then turn to take a shot without having to bring it down low first. Hopefully she’s already improving her grip strength.

Reactions: ttharp
I really like that Key can catch the ball high and then turn to take a shot without having to bring it down low first. Hopefully she’s already improving her grip strength.
Definitely interested in seeing how Jon develops our post players.

Mercedes was slow coming out of Tennessee into her rookie year with Seattle but improved drastically in her second season; faster, better footwork, and it shows on the box score. I'd love to see Kasi and our freshmen posts develop toward that kind of play.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Well, no.

I thought I asked a reasonable question. How will you measure “Hold her own”? Points per game, rebounding per game, minutes per game, fouls committed? Or just your “expert” opinion?

Stats can be emphasized, entertaining and useful but they are not the measure of a player's impact...usefulness and effectiveness on that day are my determinants.

If I need a defensive stopper and it turns out to be Rennia for that night,,, her reaching her season average (say hypothetically 16) isn't important to me as her continuing to shut down a player.,,,stats are useless for me for her that night...except for maybe steals. On that night I may not need but 3-4 points out of her and that could drop her average a whole ppg accumulation, "a full point" in just one game....I don't want them trying to reach scoring stats if they have another purpose.

This is a mistake CHW made. there were a ton of career nights from opponents in every position, 1-5, almost nightly.
Shut down the stud and you take the heart out of a team. Unless they have multiple best players. Nope

As much as I try not to ever say "Evil Genius II 's name (Geno) .... you will rarely if ever see a career night against one of his teams.

"Jordan Rules"
Stop, the star.

I coached my player this past season to fill up the stat sheet in every game,,,her games would look like:
7pt, 4 reb, 2 st, 5 asst, 1 blk, 2 turnovers, 2 for 4 and 1 for 3(3's) shooting,,,Now there's some stats...lots of em...

affect the game in every way
just keep assists ahead of turnovers....That one I do watch!

I think the Lady Vols finish higher than 6th and Missouri finishes higher than 9th. Both these teams will be better by the time the conference games begin and both have more depth than a couple of the teams rated higher.
I guess all the other teams are going to get worse or stay the same as the season goes on...lol...only Tennessee and Missouri will get better ?

Reactions: olddog
It would be very disappointing to finish sixth in the SEC this year, IMO. Looking over the rosters of the other teams, only SC has talent equal to ours, and SC's talent are mostly freshmen. I expect a top 3 SEC finish for the LV'.
I like the fact that we have been projected to finish 6th, that should give the LV the desire to prove them wrong. If they finish as high as third, we should consider that to be a bonus. At this point, I don’t want to set my expectations so high, as has happened in the past few years, and then if we don’t hit the mark, become very dejected. With this new staff there will be some bumps in the road.

Tamari Key on Hudl

My brother was at this Carolina Classic south vs north seniors there was a some talent on display.

Womens basketball media day is today at 11 am est 10 central. Rennia Davis and Jasmine Massengill representing the Lady Vols.

Interesting Massengill was the player who met with the media with Kellie ahead of the first official practice of the season, and was one of the players chosen to go to media days (over someone like Green). It looks pretty clear Harper is counting on Massengill having a much bigger leadership role this season on and off the court...

It appears Harper is prioritizing the point position (with its inescapable role of impact and influence) much like Summitt did.

I guess all the other teams are going to get worse or stay the same as the season goes on...lol...only Tennessee and Missouri will get better ?

Both Mizzou and the Lady Vols have a lot of new players and will have new offensive schemes. They'll round into shape as the season progresses. Neither team will rely on one or two superstars so they will not be as impacted by late season injuries. I think that the pre-season ranking on these two teams are underestimating the talent, depth, and coaching of these two teams and putting too much impact on what they've lost from last year.

Interesting Massengill was the player who met with the media with Kellie ahead of the first official practice of the season, and was one of the players chosen to go to media days (over someone like Green). It looks pretty clear Harper is counting on Massengill having a much bigger leadership role this season on and off the court...
I think she is definitely the starting point guard which may surprise some considering how she played last season and with Horston being so highly rated. It seems to say she has really been showing some improvement and ability in practice guess we'll find out soon.

I think she will be efficient enough as a freshman to give us some great minutes. I don't expect her to be a super star this season but I can see her being awesome in the coming seasons. If she could give us 12 to 15 minutes and 8 to 10 points and 8 rebounds would call her freshman season a success. You have to think her strength has improved some she has worked with the new strength guy for three months and all the reports I get he is awesome.

Reactions: lvocd
It appears Harper is prioritizing the point position (with its inescapable role of impact and influence) much like Summitt did.
I hope so that is where you either are efficient or play poorly. The turnovers from that position have hurt the team badly the last few seasons. If we can get efficiency from the point guard and players get the shooting position they are comfortable with we'll be a great team. I know that is a lot of ifs but players knowing their shooting strengths and a point guard that can deliver the passes with minimal turnovers will certainly be successful.

I like the fact that we have been projected to finish 6th, that should give the LV the desire to prove them wrong. If they finish as high as third, we should consider that to be a bonus. At this point, I don’t want to set my expectations so high, as has happened in the past few years, and then if we don’t hit the mark, become very dejected. With this new staff there will be some bumps in the road.
We may very well finish sixth even with 11 SEC wins. I think we have nine games in the SEC we definitely should win. One where were definitely a huge underdog to lose. Then we have A&M and Miss St at home and those are games that will certainly be key in us finishing high in the standings. Other key games are at Arkansas and Kentucky. I think if we get out of these four games 2 and then we should have at least 11 wins and 3 losses with other road games at LSU and Auburn. The schedule early is where we have to win a lot of games we just can't lose or team will be a huge disappointment. You got home Missouri, at Kentucky, at Ole Miss, home vs Georgia, at Florida, home vs Alabama, Home LSU and at Vanderbilt. No reason not to come out of that at least 7 and 1 anything worse than that is very disappointing. The second half is tough at SC, Home Miss St, at LSU, Home Texas A&M, at Arkansas, before we get to home Vandy, home Ole Miss, at Auburn. This could be as bad as 3 and 5 or possibly 5 and 3 or better. I know we better win a lot of those first eight if were looking to finish in the top four.

Definitely some players in that tourney some really great shooters.

Definitely some players in that tourney some really great shooters.

Yes ! #12 in blue Kendal Moore to NC State # 52 in blue the 6-5 post Elizabeth Kitley to VA Tech she was rated the No. 33 high school senior in the nation by ESPN. #12 in Red Olivia Thompson to South Carolina but she is a walk-on i did not know that, She is a tremendous shooter https://www.thestate.com/sports/high-school/prep-basketball/article216113405.html

Reactions: SCspur
If she could give us 12 to 15 minutes and 8 to 10 points and 8 rebounds would call her freshman season a success.

Those are extremely high expectations for Key. A freshman averaging close to a double double is asking a lot. I would be happy with 6 and 6. To compare, Russell averaged 6 and 5 her freshman year.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Those are extremely high expectations for Key. A freshman averaging close to a double double is asking a lot. I would be happy with 6 and 6. To compare, Russell averaged 6 and 5 her freshman year.
I know set the bar high and hope she gets close. She did have a game in Europe 18 and 11 of course that competition is not SEC.

Forget the 6 and 6 this team will need to get very good play from KK and Key. There is no way we beat these team without good post play
Oregon
Baylor
Stanford
Maryland
Oregon State

Louisville
LSU

Both Mizzou and the Lady Vols have a lot of new players and will have new offensive schemes. They'll round into shape as the season progresses. Neither team will rely on one or two superstars so they will not be as impacted by late season injuries. I think that the pre-season ranking on these two teams are underestimating the talent, depth, and coaching of these two teams and putting too much impact on what they've lost from last year.
I think South Carolina and Miss St have as many if not more new players to add to their mix. It's going to be a whole new setup for Tennessee so the adjustment may help..or in some cases hurt them. I would not assume anything beyond they will get better....and not think that will propel them above other teams that will also get better...that was my point. If Kelly can coach, then the talent level will come forth and show itself. I think Tennessee is underrated from the get go.....not that they will suddenly get better than other teams.

I think South Carolina and Miss St have as many if not more new players to add to their mix. It's going to be a whole new setup for Tennessee so the adjustment may help..or in some cases hurt them. I would not assume anything beyond they will get better....and not think that will propel them above other teams that will also get better...that was my point. If Kelly can coach, then the talent level will come forth and show itself. I think Tennessee is underrated from the get go.....not that they will suddenly get better than other teams.

Depends on the coach.
Coach KJH has to have the same mindset and "personal representation" of,,,,,"I can make ANY team or player better".
Any team!
Any player!

I belive right now, she does exude this.
From what I see in the vids of KJH, she doesn't ever look fearful or uncertain of what she is saying.

Kids will follow leaders.

We will finish top four SEC and S16 or better in the NCAA's
Why do I think this,,,,
It would be my expectations I would give myself

Arkansas better than the Lady Vols, really? I can see KY, MSU, TAMU, and South Carolina better than the Lady Vols.

VN Store

Back