Premiere League & World Soccer Thread

Rooting for Forest today, we need some more European Cup winners in the PL
Same. Forest will likely be a credit to the PL and be able to make a real go of it. Huddersfield on the other hand will probably be cannon fodder and just go straight back down. The ESPN commentators said earlier that their entire squad cost just £2M.

Article on espn suggests that while the Liverpool fan club blames the stadium staff the French police, UEFA, and stadium contend thousands of Liverpool fans had fake tickets and caused clog at turnstiles. Then the same supporters tried to breach with force when turned away.

I mean that Liverpool fan fest in Paris had over 50k fans attend, there’s no way they all had tickets so I can definitely believe there were fake tickets. Don’t tell Jamie Carrigan though, he’s ready to burn down UEFA and anyone who blames Liverpool fans.

Reactions: Outofmyvolcanmind
Mane is leaving Liverpool this summer. Salah on his last year too and it doesn’t seem like a contract extension agreement will be reached. They’re probably going to lose their two leading scorers in the next season or next summer.

I mean that Liverpool fan fest in Paris had over 50k fans attend, there’s no way they all had tickets so I can definitely believe there were fake tickets. Don’t tell Jamie Carrigan though, he’s ready to burn down UEFA and anyone who blames Liverpool fans.
What Liverpool fans did yesterday is disrespectful to the families of those who perished at the Hillsborough disaster.

What Liverpool fans did yesterday is disrespectful to the families of those who perished at the Hillsborough disaster.

It circles back to our discussion last week, it’s a culture problem that would exist regardless of the game.

Passion isn’t an excuse either.

Reactions: MAD
Before I state this, Liverpool is a very good team. It’s hard to stack up wins against top teams but to be referred to as “potential greatest English team of all time” by the English media, I need to see they can win the big games. They beat up the 6-20 spots of the EPL, and largely had a cake walk to the UCL final.

When you look at games with the top 5 in the EPL, they only won 2 of them:

Man City - 2 draws, 1 win against City’s B team in FA cup semis.

Chelsea - 4 draws, 2 penalty shoot out wins. (and 2 cups from this mostly disappointing performances)

Tottenham - 2 draws

Arsenal - 1 win, 1 draw.

Then if you look at the UCL run:

Their pool wasn’t too bad. AC Milan were Series A champions, beat them twice. Athletico finished 3rd in La Liga, beat them twice. Porto finished 1st in Portugal, but that league is very top heavy, beat them twice.

But their knock out round matchups were much easier than the other side of the final 16 that had Chelsea, Man City, PSG and Real Madrid. Instead they faced Inter Milan, Benfica and Villareal. All 3 sides they clung to one goal aggregate leads and lost their second match of the leg. They don’t get to choose who they play, so can’t really fault them, but it was a much easier route than the other side of the top 16 and they still didn’t win the big game.

Anyways… TLDR version: they were a very good team, but the “greatest English team of all time” talk from the media hanging all over the nuts was a little wild to me.

Last edited:
Before I state this, Liverpool is a very good team. It’s hard to stack up wins against top teams but to be referred to as “potential greatest English team of all time” by the English media, I need to see they can win the big games. They beat up the 6-20 spots of the EPL, and largely had a cake walk to the UCL final.

When you look at games with the top 5 in the EPL, they only won 2 of them:

Man City - 2 draws, 1 win against City’s B team in FA cup semis.

Chelsea - 4 draws, 2 penalty shoot out wins. (and 2 cups from this mostly disappointing performances)

Tottenham - 2 draws

Arsenal - 1 win, 1 draw.

Then if you look at the UCL run:

Their pool wasn’t too bad. AC Milan were Series A champions, beat them twice. Athletico finished 3rd in La Liga, beat them twice. Porto finished 1st in Portugal, but that league is very top heavy, beat them twice.

But their knock out round matchups were much easier than the other side of the final 16 that had Chelsea, Man City, PSG and Real Madrid. Instead they faced Inter Milan, Benfica and Villareal. All 3 sides they clung to one goal aggregate leads and lost their second match of the leg. They don’t get to choose who they play, so can’t really fault them, but it was a much easier route than the other side of the top 16 and they still didn’t win the big game.

Anyways… TLDR version: they were a very good team, but the “greatest English team of all time” talk from the media hanging all over the nuts was a little wild to me.
Winning the League has to be the starting point, and in 2022 Liverpool's case, ending point, for any conversation like this. A double round robin format simply doesn't spit out fluke results. If you win that, you're the best team, if not, you aren't. Liverpool were the second best team in England this season, so to even mention them in some sort of "greatest English team of all time" conversation is stupid. The Cup competitions are fun, but there's an element of luck to winning those if for no other reason than that they are randomly drawn.

Glad to see Forest make their way back into the top flight. They're a historic club, and will provide a local derby for Leicester, who haven't really had one the last few years. With their addition we're getting very close to what I'd consider my ideal version of the EPL. At this point the only improvements to you could make IMO make might be to swap Bournemouth for Portsmouth so Southampton have their main rivals, and swap Brentford or Brighton for Sunderland so Newcastle would have theirs.

Winning the League has to be the starting point, and in 2022 Liverpool's case, ending point, for any conversation like this. A double round robin format simply doesn't spit out fluke results. If you win that, you're the best team, if not, you aren't. Liverpool were the second best team in England this season, so to even mention them in some sort of "greatest English team of all time" conversation is stupid. The Cup competitions are fun, but there's an element of luck to winning those if for no other reason than that they are randomly drawn.

Agreed. Cup runs definitely have some luck in the draws and what not but they really are a test of squad depth too. Chances for 2nd team keepers and some fringe squad guys to get some run. At least until you get towards the end of the completion that is.

Glad to see Forest make their way back into the top flight. They're a historic club, and will provide a local derby for Leicester, who haven't really had one the last few years. With their addition we're getting very close to what I'd consider my ideal version of the EPL. At this point the only improvements to you could make IMO make might be to swap Bournemouth for Portsmouth so Southampton have their main rivals, and swap Brentford or Brighton for Sunderland so Newcastle would have theirs.

I wish Portsmouth would come back. Still weird seeing them in League One

I almost picked them for my team like 15 years ago, dodged that bullet.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
Other than "go to Glasgow" how can we watch the Scotland Ukraine game tomorrow, and then, that winner playing Wales this weekend?

I wish the Italy/Argentina Finalissima Cup game wasn’t being played at the same time as the Ukraine/Scotland game. I’ll watch the Ukraine/Scotland game for the emotion and more riding on the line, but wish it was a double header time wise.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back