Prediction on W/L record after spring game

Prediction on W/L record after spring game

• Total voters
Spring games do not tell you much at all about how good or bad the team will be in the fall. But our defense is gonna suck. The offense can be okay, until they come up against the better defenses in the league.

As of right now, bammer, UGA, Florida are definite losses.

The 3 cupcake non conference games will be wins. I think we beat Vandy.

Pitt and USCe will be toss ups.

And right now, based on last year, I think Mizzou, UK, and Ole Miss are all ahead of us. I just can't see us winning any of those. I guess we could figure out a way to outscore one of them. But I think 6 wins is the ceiling with 5 wins probably the most likely.

Ok so you contradict yourself as to saying our Defense sux. After that comment everything else you said fell on deaf ears. Smells like a troll. The rest of your post about Missouri, Kentucky, and Ole Miss being ahead of us is crap. Hang back and watch. Missouri got spanked last year by us and UK should have too but didnt. Ole Miss, think the kids will be pumped for that game and not as much as the fans but that 3 swing games.

Let's just see how the season plays out before you make an biased post!

Ok so you contradict yourself as to saying our Defense sux. After that comment everything else you said fell on deaf ears. Smells like a troll. The rest of your post about Missouri, Kentucky, and Ole Miss being ahead of us is crap. Hang back and watch. Missouri got spanked last year by us and UK should have too but didnt. Ole Miss, think the kids will be pumped for that game and not as much as the fans but that 3 swing games.

Let's just see how the season plays out before you make an biased post!
Nearly 70% of VN agrees with me. Check the stats. If we win north of 6 games next year Heupel should be in consideration for Coach of the year. Vandy is the only for sure conference win next year. South Carolina is about on par with us. And yes, UK, Mizzou and Ole Miss are all slightly ahead. Mainly because they're coaches are in their second year, UKs even longer. I don't believe we have 0 chance of beating any of those teams like I do the top 3 we will play, but its gonna be an up hill battle. And yes, our defense is gonna be bad.
I've never understood the logic behind having a terrible season the year prior, getting a brand new coach, attrition and then all of sudden we're gonna be better in year 1. I know Pruitt sucked, but there's no way of knowing how good Heupel will be here, especially in year 1.

My take........our offensive line looks to be middle of the SEC pack, at least, maybe better. Receivers are fast and deep. The running back room looks good. As usual, comes down to QB play. HB is the best QB on the team, may not be the "best fit" for Huep's system, but IMO he's the better QB of the lot. Our offense should be in the top 1/3 of the conference.

We had a bunch of 1st and 2nd stringers on defense out for the spring game. Though we may not have the big "stud" along the defensive line, there's a lot of experience and depth. The starting 5 in the secondary should be pretty dang good; worried about depth though. Biggest concern on D are the linebackers, as most have alluded on here. Very important that the guys suspended for the spring gets back with the team for summer work outs. I think our D could be middle of the pack of the SEC, maybe better.

I think the absolute floor is 5-7 with 10-2 the ceiling. If I had to bet a month's pay, I'd guess 7-5, 8-4. Regardless, not having JG out there and Cornbread on the sideline gives me hope for every game on the schedule.

I like what you say - - - just don't belie it is possible.

Impossible to tell just how bad this defense will be based on Saturday's scrimmage. Most of the LBs who will actually play in a game were out, but, the DL was very underwhelming. There is no real run stopper and no speed rusher in the program. While you couldn't really tell much from the scrimmage, the DBs are the same 1/2 step slow guys that played last year.

On the offense: OL looked OK against bad competition but the RBs were just as underwhelming as last year's group and I didn't see an SEC level RB on the field. WRs were OK against bad competition but when the most impressive WR was a walk on white boy from Knoxville Catholic.....well. The Vols do not have an elite WR that will require double coverage. This will hamper the running game greatly.

I was less than optimistic going into the spring game and to be honest, I feel worse about this program coming out. This gimmick offense will not be consistently successful in the SEC unless the Vols can have success running the ball and have an elite QB which they don't have., UT"s defense will have to play too many plays and the lack of talent and depth will lead disastrous results. Not to mention, the increased amount of injuries that will arise out of this which could leave this team less talented than a horrible Vandy team by the end of the year.

I am expecting 5 or 6 wins. Anything more than that should be seen as a huge success. I do think we will see guys playing with more fire and passion though, which was obviously missing after halftime of the UGA game last year.

Reactions: USF grad in TN
I will eat my crow if we win 7, and be glad to do it.
I'm basing it on schedule as much as grand expectations.

UT has 4 really bad opponents. They then have to win 3 of 5 vs Pitt, UK, USCe, Ole Miss, and Mizzou.

I am not a believer in Pitt. They haven't been beating good teams. The concern to me is if they can somehow use their experienced QB to play keep away with UT's O. If not, style of play strongly favors UT.

USCe is a bigger mess than UT with less talent.

There is a narrative around Mizzou that they "finished strong". They were blown out by UGA and MSU in their last two games. They beat Arkansas by 2 in the 8th game. Seven of 10 opponents put up over 400 yds on their D... including UT. You have to like the potential of their young QB... but they have as many issues on D as UT and not as much overall talent on O.

I think raw talent and style of play help UT vs UK. That may not be enough... but UK is not built for high scoring games. They want to "manage" games.

I don't know what to think of Ole Miss. May depend on whether the Hyde or Jekyll version of their team shows up.

UT has 4 really bad opponents. They then have to win 3 of 5 vs Pitt, UK, USCe, Ole Miss, and Mizzou.

I am not a believer in Pitt. They haven't been beating good teams. The concern to me is if they can somehow use their experienced QB to play keep away with UT's O. If not, style of play strongly favors UT.

There is a narrative around Mizzou that they "finished strong". They were blown out by UGA and MSU in their last two games. They beat Arkansas by 2 in the 8th game. Seven of 10 opponents put up over 400 yds on their D... including UT. You have to like the potential of their young QB... but they have as many issues on D as UT and not as much overall talent on O.

I think raw talent and style of play help UT vs UK. That may not be enough... but UK is not built for high scoring games. They want to "manage" games.

I don't know what to think of Ole Miss. May depend on whether the Hyde or Jekyll version of their team shows up.
I'm surprised you didn't mention Vanderbilt who i think Tennessee will beat in probably another blowout.

We are going to struggle big time vs SEC competition. If you didn’t see that then... My advice, buy the Jack in volume. Do they sell barrels?

did not watch it so has no bearing on what I think but with the new staff and system and with talent lacking, 4-6 wins would be about right

Im basing mine more on we don't know what we're gonna get out of Heupel yet and I don't believe it'll be fair to completely judge him after one season either. I think some signs will be there on if he's gonna make it or not though.

We agree on the 4 games that will be automatic wins. No arguments at all there.

I just dont think theres a ton of difference between us and USCe right now. And I think Ole Miss and Mizzou being in their 2nd season with new head coaches gives them the advantage right now, and I think UK is probably the hardest one to predict. We have beaten them many times when they were having better seasons than we were, so I wouldn't really be surprised if we win that game, but I wouldn't be surprised if we lose it either.

Pitt is hard too because we just don't see them play and don't follow them much.

Bammer, UGA, and UF will not be close games for at least a couple more seasons.

Reactions: Border Vol
My take........our offensive line looks to be middle of the SEC pack, at least, maybe better. Receivers are fast and deep. The running back room looks good. As usual, comes down to QB play. HB is the best QB on the team, may not be the "best fit" for Huep's system, but IMO he's the better QB of the lot. Our offense should be in the top 1/3 of the conference.

We had a bunch of 1st and 2nd stringers on defense out for the spring game. Though we may not have the big "stud" along the defensive line, there's a lot of experience and depth. The starting 5 in the secondary should be pretty dang good; worried about depth though. Biggest concern on D are the linebackers, as most have alluded on here. Very important that the guys suspended for the spring gets back with the team for summer work outs. I think our D could be middle of the pack of the SEC, maybe better.

I think the absolute floor is 5-7 with 10-2 the ceiling. If I had to bet a month's pay, I'd guess 7-5, 8-4. Regardless, not having JG out there and Cornbread on the sideline gives me hope for every game on the schedule.
You may be right, but I'm thinking our Offensive line looks "middle of the SEC pack" because the lack of defense made them look better than what they really are. We're just not going to know until we see them go up against a team with a functioning DL.

I know it’s been said multiple times but apparently it warrants repeating again...WE HAD 7 STARTERS ON DEFENSE OUT FOR THE GAME! I’m concerned for our D too BUT draw zero conclusions about our D from Saturday’s scrimmage. Plus no blitz etc package. And I don’t have a clue yet how many we’ll win this year!

Nearly 70% of VN agrees with me. Check the stats. If we win north of 6 games next year Heupel should be in consideration for Coach of the year. Vandy is the only for sure conference win next year. South Carolina is about on par with us. And yes, UK, Mizzou and Ole Miss are all slightly ahead. Mainly because they're coaches are in their second year, UKs even longer. I don't believe we have 0 chance of beating any of those teams like I do the top 3 we will play, but its gonna be an up hill battle. And yes, our defense is gonna be bad.
I've never understood the logic behind having a terrible season the year prior, getting a brand new coach, attrition and then all of sudden we're gonna be better in year 1. I know Pruitt sucked, but there's no way of knowing how good Heupel will be here, especially in year 1.
Ok so

Vandy - Win

USCe - 50/50?

UK Mizzou and Ole Miss - 35/65 dogs?

I'll assume Pitt is like USCe here and is 50/50 too.

Soo we have 3 for sure OOC wins. 4 with Vandy. 5 with Pitt and USCe both 50/50. 6.05 wins with UK/Mizzou/Ole Miss.

There's 6 wins even if UF/UGA/Bama are all 0%.

Not sure how 1 game over expectation ("north of 6 wins") deserves CotY. Now if he wins 9 games, sure. Otherwise, that's just a slap in the face to our players and staff. F that. We aren't Vandy.

Reactions: sjt18
6-7.

People going 5 or fewer have all the good drugs.
If there is any hope at all of Heupel being the right guy and surviving then UT will win 6-8 games. I'm hopeful. I like the guy. As a person, I like him better than any of the HC's since Fulmer. But this isn't a "nice" business. This is more like wildebeests being chased by lions.... it isn't fair that the new borns are vulnerable vulnerable. It isn't even always the youngest that get caught... sometimes its just where they happen to be. But if they can't run with the herd then they won't survive.

Heupel has to do something to prove he belongs to survive.

Reactions: Samthebam
If there is any hope at all of Heupel being the right guy and surviving then UT will win 6-8 games. I'm hopeful. I like the guy. As a person, I like him better than any of the HC's since Fulmer. But this isn't a "nice" business. This is more like wildebeests being chased by lions.... it isn't fair that the new borns are vulnerable vulnerable. It isn't even always the youngest that get caught... sometimes its just where they happen to be. But if they can't run with the herd then they won't survive.

I just can't see more than 5 wins out of this talent starved team. It will take years of rebuilding to bring the program back.

that is just , well I don’t want to insult anyone, hell Sabin couldn’t win 7 games with this ragtag team. We don’t have near the quality players we had last year and some expect 7-8 wins. Let’s face we will be bad, real bad. Entertaining maybe, but bad. I hope I’m wrong. Heupel doesn’t have to prove anything to the people that matter for 3-5 years. Maybe to you, but doubt your opinion matters.

that is just , well I don’t want to insult anyone, hell Sabin couldn’t win 7 games with this ragtag team. We don’t have near the quality players we had last year and some expect 7-8 wins. Let’s face we will be bad, real bad. Entertaining maybe, but bad. I hope I’m wrong. Heupel doesn’t have to prove anything to the people that matter for 3-5 years. Maybe to you, but doubt your opinion matters.
giphy (36).gif

VN Store

Back