Potential Record Breakers

CA_Vol

With the new “extra” year of eligibility, it opens up the possibility for records to be broken that otherwise wouldn’t have.

I think providing the extra year was the right move, but this has the potential to be a glaring unintended consequence. In all honesty, I’m not sure what the solution is. Asterisk it?

With the new “extra” year of eligibility, it opens up the possibility for records to be broken that otherwise wouldn’t have.

I think providing the extra year was the right move, but this has the potential to be a glaring unintended consequence. In all honesty, I’m not sure what the solution is. Asterisk it?
I get what you’re saying, but it’s kind of always just been that way. Nobody played more than 3 years into 70s. Then freshmen became eligible. Then an 11th game got added. Then bowl games multiplied. Then conference championship games got added. Then a 12th game got added. Then overtime got instituted.

Interesting topic.

Hmm, it's an interesting question.

But I think if we get to a point where one of our lads is breaking some amazing career record, heck, we're going to be celebrating them like mad. I'm not sure we'll worry too much about asterisks or anything, heh.

Key point: if they're record breakers, they're definitely NFL material. Which means they might not stay more than 3 (or max 4) years anyway, even with the "free year" on offer. So...it's not like we're talking about anyone who is going on their 6th year as a Vol. The great ones, the ones who break records, just don't stay that long.

But for the fun of it, imagine some dude who breaks the career sacks record held by Derek Barnett (formerly Reggie White). Derek got 33 sacks in 39 games played. With 13+ games per season (normally), our new record holder could have, say, 50 games under his belt (11 in the weird 2020 season, then 13 in each of the 2021, 2022, and 2023). And he gets his 34th, record-breaking sack on his last game, a bowl win against Ohio State.

We're going nuts for that guy. Sure, we'll remember back to Derek and Reggie, and how awesome they were, but we'll be welcoming the new fella to the Vols record books without too much asterisking. We'll be that proud of him.

The records that I think are most vulnerable, by a fella who plays four full years in orange (again, that won't happen often, with record-setters) are:
  • career sacks. Derek showed the way. And did it in just 39 games. With 50+ games available...yep, potential is there
  • career rushing. I know we do running back by committee these days, but if we do ever find a 3-down rusher who can stand the punishment and keep hauling through four seasons, Travis Henry's 3,078 yards doesn't seem impossible.
  • career interceptions: Tim Priest has 18. Could a 4-year Vol stud pull in more? I think so.
Thanks for the interesting question, CA.

Go Vols!

I get what you’re saying, but it’s kind of always just been that way. Nobody played more than 3 years into 70s. Then freshmen became eligible. Then an 11th game got added. Then bowl games multiplied. Then conference championship games got added. Then a 12th game got added. Then overtime got instituted.

Interesting topic.
I hadn’t considered this, but you are correct. Although, this has the potential to go well beyond in the modern context.

But I think if we get to a point where one of our lads is breaking some amazing career record, heck, we're going to be celebrating them like mad. I'm not sure we'll worry too much about asterisks or anything, heh.

Key point: if they're record breakers, they're definitely NFL material. Which means they might not stay more than 3 (or max 4) years anyway, even with the "free year" on offer. So...it's not like we're talking about anyone who is going on their 6th year as a Vol. The great ones, the ones who break records, just don't stay that long.

But for the fun of it, imagine some dude who breaks the career sacks record held by Derek Barnett (formerly Reggie White). Derek got 33 sacks in 39 games played. With 13+ games per season (normally), our new record holder could have, say, 50 games under his belt (11 in the weird 2020 season, then 13 in each of the 2021, 2022, and 2023). And he gets his 34th, record-breaking sack on his last game, a bowl win against Ohio State.

We're going nuts for that guy. Sure, we'll remember back to Derek and Reggie, and how awesome they were, but we'll be welcoming the new fella to the Vols record books without too much asterisking. We'll be that proud of him.

The records that I think are most vulnerable, by a fella who plays four full years in orange (again, that won't happen often, with record-setters) are:
  • career sacks. Derek showed the way. And did it in just 39 games. With 50+ games available...yep, potential is there
  • career rushing. I know we do running back by committee these days, but if we do ever find a 3-down rusher who can stand the punishment and keep hauling through four seasons, Travis Henry's 3,078 yards doesn't seem impossible.
  • career interceptions: Tim Priest has 18. Could a 4-year Vol stud pull in more? I think so.

Go Vols!
Hell, JG could be the all-time passing leader if he stays for year 8 (so it seems). 🤣

Go Vols!

Good post. As a footnote to the career rushing bit, Jalen Hurd would’ve been our all-time leading rusher had he stayed. Somebody else will eclipse Cheese some day.

Good post. As a footnote to the career rushing bit, Jalen Hurd would’ve been our all-time leading rusher had he stayed. Somebody else will eclipse Cheese some day.
I was sure that Arian Foster was going to get it too. Then his Sr year was a complete flop.

Can JG pass Peyton in passing yards and touchdowns?
I doubt he stays anyway, but If he has a good enough year to slightly threaten either record, he’d surely have no reason to hang around for an extra year. He'd need about 6,000 yards and 50+ TDs.

Last edited:
I always forget how insane this number is when I see it. Thinking about players that could run up some big numbers and approach records, consider this . . .

Henry To'oto'o had 72 tackles last year which is a huge number for a freshman. He could get 100 tackles a year for the next 4 years and he'd still fall 75 tackles short of Andy Spiva's record of 547!?

Records are set to be broken.
How long will college football as we know it last anyway?

Flags will replace tackles, most of the time outs will be for stressed out players, bullying not allowed (no more than 5 tackles or medium+ plays, and the only pads the players will wear will be in their skivvies!

How about we break Al Wilson's record for most fumbles forced and recovered in a game against Florida!

I always forget how insane this number is when I see it. Thinking about players that could run up some big numbers and approach records, consider this . . .

Henry To'oto'o had 72 tackles last year which is a huge number for a freshman. He could get 100 tackles a year for the next 4 years and he'd still fall 75 tackles short of Andy Spiva's record of 547!?
That’s amazing, good post GAVol. I’d say Andy’s record will be safe for a while longer.

Linebackers play gaps now.
Andy Spiva played the whole field.

Reactions: FïreBall

[*]career rushing. I know we do running back by committee these days, but if we do ever find a 3-down rusher who can stand the punishment and keep hauling through four seasons, Travis Henry's 3,078 yards doesn't seem impossible.

Go Vols!

We have the lowest career rushing total in the SEC. A really good back putting up those middle 5ypc will better Cheese in under 560 carries. In a "normal" 12 game schedule over 4 seasons that's less than a dozen carries per game and less than 16 over 3. All our best backs (names like Webb, Lewis, Garner, Cobb, etc) were splitting time, had injury issues or something else limiting carries. Cobb had 445, Garner 313 and Webb 239. Even though Lewis had the most of that group with 487 that's still not top 10 in UT history. Cheese holds our school record despite not being in the top 50 in SEC rushing attempts.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP

VN Store

Back