Postseason Expectations after the Kentucky win

All about matchups. Can’t recall the yr but the #1 and I think #2 seeds both went down. We either lost to Purdue or Loyola. Can’t recall. But it’s all about matchups. Should be a fun ride.

When teams make deep NCAAT runs (unless they’re a top 4 team already), you usually see a player or two who aren’t typically stars step up and play above their level. So we’d need Chandler, Vescovi, ZZ, and Fulk to play well per the usual, but who would be the candidates to play over their heads? Maybe the light comes on for Aidoo on the offensive end and he scores more than he normally would. Or JJJ plays like he did offensively for the 3-game post Texas stretch. Maybe Bailey or Powell come around and hit some big shots. BHH? He has ability.

There are guys capable of playing better on this roster who may show it in the postseason.

Before the season started I seriously thought we had the pieces to make a FF run. We’re absolutely playing better and Aidoo might be the last piece we need to take the next step but I’m not quite ready to say we’re a FF team. I want to see how we do at Arkansas and in the SEC tournament. If we do continue taking good shots, Aidoo keeps improving, and we take care of the ball then we can play with anyone. To me ZZ appears to be the guy we want taking shots at the end, or at least the guy with the ball whether he shoots or passes and that’s something we lacked early in the year. So right now I’m saying Sweet 16 but Elite 8 is certainly possible and Final 4 could come into play if we can prove capable of carrying this play away from TBA. We shall see. Like another poster said, let’s just enjoy the journey.
”...if we can prove capable of carrying this play away from TBA.” This is what it comes down to. We aren’t going to play postseason games in TBA so we are gonna have to find a way to beat good teams when the odds are stacked against us. And for that to happen, the veterans are gonna have to play like veterans. And then the younger guys will help put us over the top. Relying on young freshmen and sophomores to win games for us could come back to bite you due to their immaturity in some situations and in some games, one mishap can lose you the game. Everyone’s gonna have to play like they’re capable and if that happens, LOOK OUT!

Reactions: hUTch2002
Is this team showing signs that it can be a contender in March for a SEC Championship and Sweet 16 or better showing in your opinion? They are definitely hot at the right time and looking like a team no one wants to play right now. I know we are a different animal at home this year and have a big road test Saturday but I see signs of something special taking place with this team.

I really think this team can contend for conference title in Tampa. Additionally, I think if we can sneak the 2 seed, we are in good spot for Tampa. I still believe this team's defense can keep us in any game vs anyone we will play.

I would be perfectly happy with a S16. Just worried about our play away from home to feel confident for any more.

The game @Arkasas is really big for me,sure the rest of the world.I wanna see how they handle playing on the road after this huge emotional win.They have found there stride at the right time,weve seen what their capable of at their highs and their lows.If they can go to Arkansas and pull out a win,then I'm all for final four.Aint willing to call that shot yet,if every game was at TBA we be fine.If they knock off someone in the tourney,can they take thozs emotjons and excitement into the next round.Pretty young group of dudes,that's a big big deal.Which is why beating Kentucky was huge confidence and winning so many straight Just need to see them take it to Arkansas and handle business now.Both teams are playing really well at home,can they match that away is the $1,000,000???.......I know we got Auburn away,but this is based on where we are in this moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckiepoo
With ORN out, our post season chances will depend on: 1) further development of Uros, BHH, and Aidoo in the paint, and 2) further development of Chandler and ZZ at the point. We have all the other pieces.

I want Duke and the opportunity to slam the door on K’s career.
A dangerous pursuit as we'd really have to outplay them to keep the officials from being able to make it a game, but that would be a sweet feather in our cap. Send the rat packing.
Duke is going to undeniably get atrociously biased calls in the NCAAT being Coach Ks final tourney. As much as I'd love to see TN send them packing, I'd rather play a game that TN has at least a fair shake at. Duke is gonna get ref help all the way to the final four

Then let him be exposed even more in his final NCAAT. It’s his legacy.
Or his legacy continues because they decide to put more time back on the clock to give then another shot. I will never forget the Clemson game several years back when they put time back on the clock twice at the end. They essentially said we are gonna keep giving them extra shots till they make one.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I am finally hopeful about this team. Barnes’s strategy of playing tough teams is paying off. They were hard to watch early in the year—good defense but a train wreck on offense. They will have a hard replicating the KY intensity against Arkansas and Auburn, but they are focused and playing team basketball.

Is this team showing signs that it can be a contender in March for a SEC Championship and Sweet 16 or better showing in your opinion? They are definitely hot at the right time and looking like a team no one wants to play right now. I know we are a different animal at home this year and have a big road test Saturday but I see signs of something special taking place with this team.
Elite 8 at a minimum

Elite 8 at a minimum
I think this team is capable to run deep in tourney or lose first round. I think expectation is that the defense will always be there and that gives me confidence that we will be able to hang around with anyone. We've seen games like Texas Tech where defense was tough and stout but our offense can't shoot. I fully expect any upcoming losses to be similar to that. Its a weird feeling of confidence I have with this team. Probably more so than the team with Admiral and Grant.

I think this team is capable to run deep in tourney or lose first round.

I could say this about most every team. The ky loss reinforces that in basketball occasionally everything a team throws up falls in so you have to hope we don’t encounter one of those type games. Our weakness is extended scoring droughts. If we can continue to get more guys feeling comfortable on O then hopefully that won’t be our downfall. As long as we show up with high energy and keep the ball moving we will be a tough out for anyone. JMO

Showing signs maybe. Let's see how they fair against Auburn and on the road against 3 more SEC teams. Playing at home in TBA is always an advantage.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back