Possible Ole Miss OCs: Joe Brady, Graham Harrell, Tee Martin

I recall reading on here that Joe Brady was a candidate for LSU but would probably turn them down for an NFL head gig

I don’t think Joe Brady is that great. He was a product of Joe Burrow imo. The Panthers job was his first attempt at running an entire offense as well. He was only involved with the passing game at LSU. He may be in over his head as an OC.

This is one of the things about sports media that I find irritating. The headline, pushing a narrative, is that these guys are "listed as" candidates. Implying that there's a specific list in these guys are definitely confirmed on it, as actual candidates.

In reality, some guys with a podcast threw out a few names of who they think should be candidates, and then another media site takes their podcast and treats it as an official source.

Yes, these are names that Kiffin should definitely consider. But these guys should not consider working for Kiffin for one second. And they may not appreciate having their name thrown around.

Reactions: tbh
Nice job by Tee's agent to get his name out there in the media when folks are getting paid this year.

Nothing more, nothing less. An agent getting his client's name a little ink to see if anyone bites during an up year for salaries.

Reactions: ShoalCreekVol
I don’t think Joe Brady is that great. He was a product of Joe Burrow imo. The Panthers job was his first attempt at running an entire offense as well. He was only involved with the passing game at LSU. He may be in over his head as an OC.

Then again, it could just be that he had Teddy Bridgewater and Sam Darnold as his QBs in Carolina.

Amazing how a great QB makes an OC look at the top of their game while a bad QB gets an OC fired. How many guys did PM have as his OC who ended up as poor coaches elsewhere? People never seemed to grasp that PM was his own OC until very late in his career.

Have to see how he responds to failure. Many people don't do well their first run after taking a big step up the ladder. Ex. For whatever reason Belichek didn't make it in Cleveland...

NOTE: I'm definitely NOT saying Brady is the next Belichek.... haaaa

I take it that you didn't watch pre-Brady Joe Burrow on the 2018 LSU team?

Screenshot-20211209-173130.png

Brady was pretty much exposed as an average play caller in the NFL. He’s still has potential, but he seemed way in over his head in the NFL. A panthers beat writer had a great breakdown of why the issues were with him in Carolina. I’ll see if I can find it.

Here it is:
I think he's a good football coach, I really do. He's a bright offensive mind but he's very young. Sometimes young coaches that are extremely smart, outsmart themselves. They play too much into the analytics, they're super conservative and run a vanilla offense. There's nothing complex about Brady's scheme. It's very basic, which is why he struggled to have positive results. In this league, you can't be predictable. You have to throw in a bunch of motions, double moves, RPO's, rub routes, and present the defense with some eye candy pre-snap. From what I can tell, 90% of the motions are just to expose if the defense is in man or zone coverage. There are very few motions into routes, blocks, or once again, eye candy. Getting the eyes of the defense to have their eyes in the wrong place could be the difference between a two-yard gain or a 20-yard gain.

Brady was pretty much exposed as an average play caller in the NFL. He’s still has potential, but he seemed way in over his head in the NFL. A panthers beat writer had a great breakdown of why the issues were with him in Carolina. I’ll see if I can find it.

Here it is:
I think he's a good football coach, I really do. He's a bright offensive mind but he's very young. Sometimes young coaches that are extremely smart, outsmart themselves. They play too much into the analytics, they're super conservative and run a vanilla offense. There's nothing complex about Brady's scheme. It's very basic, which is why he struggled to have positive results. In this league, you can't be predictable. You have to throw in a bunch of motions, double moves, RPO's, rub routes, and present the defense with some eye candy pre-snap. From what I can tell, 90% of the motions are just to expose if the defense is in man or zone coverage. There are very few motions into routes, blocks, or once again, eye candy. Getting the eyes of the defense to have their eyes in the wrong place could be the difference between a two-yard gain or a 20-yard gain.

The athletic also had a deep dive on whether Brady deserved to be fired and here's the conclusion. Sounded like adjustments to defensive scheme were a primary concern.

Did Joe Brady deserve to get fired? Analyzing his philosophy, concepts, personnel and adjustments

Overall, I like Brady’s system and play calling and I think he can be very successful with better talent to work with. He needs to improve his ability to adjust but he has a good football mind and should learn with more experience. He understands the type of players he has on his team and puts them in a position to play to their strengths. However, there’s only so much you could do when you can’t block and your quarterback is inaccurate and turns the ball over. It seems like Rhule wanted a heavy run-at-all-cost offense and Brady wasn’t falling in line with his wishes. As an assistant coach, you have to be able to take orders from your boss and Rhule must have felt that Brady wasn’t and wouldn’t mold the offense to his liking. That is a fireable offense. But Brady is a young, smart coach and although it seems unlikely that he’ll be an NFL head coach next season, he should get a second chance in a desirable destination soon.

Here it is:

Name an NFL OC that could find success with Carolina's QB room.

Reactions: ShoalCreekVol
He just got fired from Carolina, so I doubt that he’ll be getting a HC job anytime soon.

Here it is:

Another clueless beat writer. Well, Ruhle had to blame somebody for his failures so far in the NFL. Keep drafting all defensive players. You have zero QB and an OL that is horrendous. He needs to take his ass back to college.

Reactions: Zues1
I take it that you didn't watch pre-Brady Joe Burrow on the 2018 LSU team?

Screenshot-20211209-173130.png
In 2019, I watched Ja’Marr Chase and Justin Jefferson routinely torch nearly every team they went up against and they are doing the same thing in the NFL without Joe Brady. They didn’t need Joe Brady to do what they did at LSU. Joe Brady was just along for the ride, along with everyone else on that coaching staff. As for 2018, if you look at the tail end of that season, Burrow was starting to really put it all together. Those stats aren’t bad for a first year starter in the SEC. His only losses were in the Swamp, to the Elephants, and that 7OT game to A&M on the road.

VN Store

Back