Possible medical scenarios where Trey Smith allowed to play this season:

rockydoc

1) Off all anticoagulants and close monitoring with weekly venous Doppler of lower extremities.
2) Off anticoagulants with insertion of inferior vena cava filter to reduce chance of clots from legs going to lungs.
3) Low dose Lovenox shots during week, with limited contact during practice, but stopping shots 24 hours before game time.

The vibe I get is that Trey will play and start in season opener.

I hope your right doc!!!!..............Not really sure what you said in 1 thru 3, but I'm encouraged by your final summation at the bottom. Getting Trey AND Solomon for this year would really go a long way to giving me added hope to each game. GO VOLS!!!!

have faith in Pruitt and Trey that he will only play if fully healthy and cleared. any other scenario would be a huge mistake for Trey and the University.

Reactions: feathersax
have faith in Pruitt and Trey that he will only play if fully healthy and cleared. any other scenario would be a huge mistake for Trey and the University.

Really don't think it will take the "faith" of the coach and the player, it will take the approval of he medical staff AND the university powers that be. This AND is a big one. I seem to remember a time or two in the past where the university said no when questionable health was involved.

Really don't think it will take the "faith" of the coach and the player, it will take the approval of he medical staff AND the university powers that be. This AND is a big one. I seem to remember a time or two in the past where the university said no when questionable health was involved.
guess i need to define "cleared"

guess i need to define "cleared"
Sorry, I ran out of "reading" (like air when holding ones breath too long) just missed the "clearing" at the end of your sentence. If I had "read on" I would not have felt the need to respond. Thereby saving my wise options for worthy use in less well worded posts!

I agree he should not play at all if there is any risk and no doctor could say for sure there is none. That being said instead of lovenox he could just use xarelto and save himself all the sticks. If I were his provider I would insist on the IVC filter as mentioned as well.

Just for clarity I the xarelto would need to be stopped 24 hours prior to game day as well. It would still be pretty risky though.

I haven't kept up with the latest re Trey's health. Has there been more recent information reported that it might be a possibility he plays this year?, or are we speculating positive scenario?

Actually, it will take faith of biblical proportions. AND the other things you listed. rockydoc knows his treatment options, but I have never heard of that being used for someone playing a high impact contact sport. It's Trey's life though.

I am no attorney, however, I sure hope all legal avenues are completely covered. In other words , signature of player on the dotted line , with family signatures relinquishing all legal liabilities of coaches , players, and University of Tenn. Having worked in a penal institution for 18 years almost made a lawyer out of me. The name of the game in most cases is cover your _ _ _ ! I too am concerned for the health of the young man. I also see that he should have some say so, after all it is his life on the line . My prayer is that he continues to be healthy and overcome any and all medical issues. Would love to have this young man fully healthy.

Reactions: savannahfan
I am no attorney, however, I sure hope all legal avenues are completely covered. In other words , signature of player on the dotted line , with family signatures relinquishing all legal liabilities of coaches , players, and University of Tenn. Having worked in a penal institution for 18 years almost made a lawyer out of me. The name of the game in most cases is cover your _ _ _ ! I too am concerned for the health of the young man. I also see that he should have some say so, after all it is his life on the line . My prayer is that he continues to be healthy and overcome any and all medical issues. Would love to have this young man fully healthy.

I think we are all on the same page as your conclusion.

I agree he should not play at all if there is any risk and no doctor could say for sure there is none. That being said instead of lovenox he could just use xarelto and save himself all the sticks. If I were his provider I would insist on the IVC filter as mentioned as well.
You seem to want a guarantee, and there are no guarantees on life period. There is never no chance for anybody, bottom line if the doctors think it's safe for him to play and him and his family want him to play he will play. It's not nobody's decision but his and his families when it comes down to it. Everybody on here has their opinion, but only the doctors, trainers and coaches and Trey and his parents are what really matter. If all them think it's safe he will play, if doctors think it's to risky he won't. Folks on here need to let the doctors and the family and Trey figure it out, they are ones in best position not people on here playing doctor one way or the other. GBO!!!!!!

I agree Woodlawn Vol. And honestly, this is what he is good at. If playing football is what could get where he wants to be in life then it may be worth the risk for him. Still, it is a risky call. I am sure Kevin Durant thought it was worth the risk to play in Game 5 of the NBA playoffs right up until the point his Achilles Tendon snapped.

I would think that he would have to be cleared by a few top experts before he is allowed to play. I have full confidence that CJP and the university are going to the right thing. We all selfishly want him to play ( myself included ). We all hope that the doctors have put this issue to rest and he can have a long happy healthy career doing what he loves.

GBO!

(Having personal experience with DVT's...) My advice would be to stay on Coumadin (if in fact he's taking that med) because the active thinning agent can be reversed quickly if a bad injury occurs AND will still reduce the chances of another clot. I take Xarelto, which cannot be reversed like Coumadin. So I'm at a much higher risk of bleed out if an accident happens. Head injuries are still very concerning because a brain bleed can cause irreversible damage.

Reactions: Offset Eye
Just FYI jeff1vol there is now an antidote to xarelto called andexanet alfa. I know for a fact they have it in the ER at UT Medical Center.

Just FYI jeff1vol there is now an antidote to xarelto called andexanet alfa. I know for a fact they have it in the ER at UT Medical Center.

This is true. It just recently came on the market and is roughly $30k per dose...no big deal if it’s the UT athletic department footing the bill but quite a difference for the regular joe.

Clint retires because of blood clots, first person I thought of was Trey, hopefully Trey gets better news. Clint basically said NFL doctors told him he was done bc of the blood clots, wonder if they tell Trey the same if he comes back? I’m still praying he becomes healed.

VN Store

Back