Pons was my player of the game..

I’m cautiously optimistic. That play where he waited and put a drop step for an easy layup was like watching Grant. He’s always rushed everything. Tonight he looked a lot more patient.
Yeah, he either seemed to rush it, or was so slow to react that he took himself out of a play, perhaps due to a lack of confidence. It was always one extreme or the other. Now he is reacting quickly, but not rushing anything. He seems to have, at least early on, found a happy medium.

Reactions: Evergrenevol
I’m cautiously optimistic. That play where he waited and put a drop step for an easy layup was like watching Grant. He’s always rushed everything. Tonight he looked a lot more patient.
That spin move he done in the post was impressive. It blew my mind, I couldn't believe it was Pons at first lol. Between that and when he was on the 3 point line and ran up for the put back those were his two nicest plays imo.

The Bob and Bert team picked Bowden

Either of Bowden Pons or Turner woulda worked for me.
I guessed Pons as well.

Both Orn Nd Fulky played great too.
Tough to go with anyone but Bowden, who set a career high (I realize YP did, as well), scored anytime he wanted to, and took over the game offensively when we needed the boost in the 2nd half.

Most of Pons’ scoring came in the first half when we trailed by as many as 12 points. When Bowden got going, we came alive as a team. Bowden’s +/- for the 2nd half alone was +28.

This team will be a work in progress, but beating Murray State last night was a good win over an NCAA tournament team. They got down by double digits and climbed back into it with defense and the dribble drive. Turners 14 assists was exactly what Barnes needed, drive and dish, drive and dish, repeat. A lot of work to be done on the defensive end, this team will be fun to watch grow up.

This team will be a work in progress, but beating Murray State last night was a good win over an NCAA tournament team. They got down by double digits and climbed back into it with defense and the dribble drive. Turners 14 assists was exactly what Barnes needed, drive and dish, drive and dish, repeat. A lot of work to be done on the defensive end, this team will be fun to watch grow up.

As long as most everyone progresses like they can and should, we will be fine. I think our freshmen show plenty of promise, they just need to continue to progress. They will be needed.

so glad to see him play well, he has really improved the last 2 yrs, almost didn't recognize him with
his hair worn different, thanks for sharing the stats and other info

Agree, really did remind me of Grant for a second. When I first read your post, I thought u wrote "walked", instead of "waited" and he did walk. Still, it wasn't called and definitely shows patience and growth in his inside game.

Edit: walk=travel for old Dogs

I was pleasantly surprised at how Pons played. I hope we see a lot more of that. He played well at times early last season when he was in the starting lineup and getting minutes, but was very inconsistent. I remember him playing well against Gonzaga.

Turner playing 39 minutes is problematic. Not because I don't like Turner. It's because that is going to wear on him if he's expected to play nearly the entire game every game. We really need Josiah to find his footing so he can soak up a few of those minutes. Otherwise, Turner might break down later in the year when we need him most.

VN Store

Back