Pons named SEC defensive player of the year!

Conrgrats, Yves. Is this AP or coaches? Would have liked to see JB on the all defense team.

I mean, is this some kind of surprise? He fully deserved it. Fully made second-team all-SEC, thats awesome.

Last edited:
Reactions: gainesvol82
If Pons improves his ability on the dribble drive he will have a chance to be 1st round pick. That is his weakness needs to put in alot of time this offseason. Great job on D winning the award.

Imo, Pons need to continue to work on his 3, which is much improved and a weapon. Work on them handles and as someone said his dribble drives to the basketball with his strength and athletic ability, I would be going to the hole as much as possible. Needs to improve the FTs some. But, the main thing, once again, imo, is there is no reason why Pons can't improve his rebounding. He is too strong and athletic (I know, 2nd time I said that, but he is) not to be a better rebounder. One thing, Pons has to learn, is when to leave his man for the weak side block, (which was the main reason he won SEC DPOY), or box out his man and get the rebound. Everything I've read and heard about this kid says he is a worker and if continues to improve like he did from soph to junior, he will get a shot at the NBA. I don't know about 1st round like somebody said, but he has the opportunity to play his way into it

Last edited:
Pons needs to go pro. I don't see his stock getting any higher. Conversely, I don't see him ever sniffing the league, whether he leaves after this season or next.

Two things Pons can improve to increase his draft status; 1) develop some handles 2) continue to improve his 3 point shot.

He’s not an NBA undersized post, he’ll have to be an NBA 3. You have to be able to dribble drive and shoot 3’a

Reactions: Sportslady
Pons is certainly athletic enough to play in the NBA but he still needs significant improvement in his offensive skill set. I think he will be playing pro ball in Europe next year.

Maybe there's been one, but I don't recall any TN player ever leaving early for pro ball other than the NBA. Some might have left early for the NBA and had to settle for an overseas professional career. But then again, Pons is from France.

Reactions: gainesvol82
Awesome award. I'm really forward to seeing his continued progression next year. He could be quite a force on both ends of the floor. It wouldn't surprise me to see him on some 2021 NBA draft boards.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Pons is certainly athletic enough to play in the NBA but he still needs significant improvement in his offensive skill set. I think he will be playing pro ball in Europe next year.
The NBA salaries are multiple times high than the European leagues pay. Unless he’s in financial hardship right now, it would be a good investment of his time to give it another year to see if he can improve his skills enough to make the NBA.

The NBA salaries are multiple times high than the European leagues pay. Unless he’s in financial hardship right now, it would be a good investment of his time to give it another year to see if he can improve his skills enough to make the NBA.
Which brings you back to the age old question. Would an extra year in college be better preparation for the NBA than playing at the highest levels of pro ball overseas?

VN Store

Back