Pons is the key.

I wonder how much of that was communication moreso than he just forgot to do it.

He just got lazy. He put a hand in front of the shooter and nothing else. Just one of those things that happens...he probably never makes that mistake again.

We need all these players and yes continue to develop the youth. Pin will become a great player but he needs constant coaching.

And don’t forget Fullerton’s contribution. The kid is truly quick. He will smooth out the ugly and soon begin owning all the rebounds.

Said it before and I'll say it again. Key to this season is Alexander. Barnes said after his 12/10 game he should be doing it every game and is capable of much more. If that happens and we stay healthy and get Turner back by March, we'll be hard to beat.

I agree with this assessment. We can't afford to lose Kyle like we did last year. Not knocking Fulk, but if Kyle goes out for extended periods, our depth is just not where I thought it would be. Walker just has not improved as much as I expected.

Reactions: Vols All Day
Said it before and I'll say it again. Key to this season is Alexander. Barnes said after his 12/10 game he should be doing it every game and is capable of much more. If that happens and we stay healthy and get Turner back by March, we'll be hard to beat.

Alexander and Fulk together were 7/11. Alexander 20 Minutes 2 pts. & 6 reb.; Fulk 14 Minutes 5 pts. & 5 reb.

Reactions: aWhiteLoftonChism
Unless I'm missing it badly, he needs some handles worse than an improved shot. His greatest asset is his athleticism which he can't fully utilize without being able to dribble drive

spot on IMO. Like many lefties, he loves going left.

Pons has to learn to take care of the ball better and watch out for big shot blockers...:D

GO VOLS!

Pons started hot and then was GARBAGE. Had some athletic rebounds but once he got his dunk sent all the way back to France he shrunk. Norvell Jr was cookin his ass.
Lulz...he continued to play great defense which is what he is primarily out there for and he rebounded the ball well also, his energy is contagious when he’s out there.

I still see Turner being more valuable at the moment. Pons' scoring is a luxury. We need Turner in the event of a Bone injury, and I dont believe he can continue to play 36 minutes/game and be fresh and as effective in Fevruary and March. We don't want Bowden logging major minutes at PG in his absence.

I keep seeing this posted, why?

Kansas played Devonte Graham 37.8mpg last year, there are plenty of teams playing their PG’s 35+mpg that are very successful in doing so. Would it be nice to have that safety net or have him for those 5-6mpg, absolutely, but I’m not in the crowd that is worried if Bone is getting 32mpg like he currently is.

Reactions: StrangeVol
Lulz...he continued to play great defense which is what he is primarily out there for and he rebounded the ball well also, his energy is contagious when he’s out there.

His athleticism was obvious and yeah like i said his rebounding was great, but he made Norvell Jr look like James Harden out there, wasn't until we switched Bowden on him that we were able to cool him off. I mean we all love Pons but you have to admit he has a long way to go. Still more on the athletic side than actual "basketball skills" side. But sheeesh on the dunk attempt. Idk if he would have made it to the rim if no one was there, but he goes up with two hands with two men in front of him?? He'll get better as this is his first year with so much playing time, but he's got a good ways to go.

I keep seeing this posted, why?

Kansas played Devonte Graham 37.8mpg last year, there are plenty of teams playing their PG’s 35+mpg that are very successful in doing so. Would it be nice to have that safety net or have him for those 5-6mpg, absolutely, but I’m not in the crowd that is worried if Bone is getting 32mpg like he currently is.
I’m not in the crowd of people worried if he is getting 32 mpg like he currently is, either, which is why I said he doesn’t need to be playing 36 minutes every night.

Perhaps I should have stated that it isn’t ideal for him to be playing that much. And the reason is because it is that much more time he is susceptible to injury and fatigue. Plus, every minute over 32 he is on the floor is another minute his backup is not getting experience, so in the event that he were to be hurt or in foul trouble, we are inserting a less talented player who has almost no experience.

His athleticism was obvious and yeah like i said his rebounding was great, but he made Norvell Jr look like James Harden out there, wasn't until we switched Bowden on him that we were able to cool him off. I mean we all love Pons but you have to admit he has a long way to go. Still more on the athletic side than actual "basketball skills" side. But sheeesh on the dunk attempt. Idk if he would have made it to the rim if no one was there, but he goes up with two hands with two men in front of him?? He'll get better as this is his first year with so much playing time, but he's got a good ways to go.

Norvell got hot and Pons wasn’t playing his left hand, but he wasn’t playing awful defense either...Norvell hit some shots when guarded by others besides Pons too.

He attacked the rim, a foul call easily could have been made but if you’re complaining about his aggressiveness to the rim you’re taking away his biggest strength...not many guys in the country block that shot. And not sure if you’re serious about him reaching, this is the same guy that dunks from the FT line, he would’ve made it no problem.

I’m not in the crowd of people worried if he is getting 32 mpg like he currently is, either, which is why I said he doesn’t need to be playing 36 minutes every night.

Perhaps I should have stated that it isn’t ideal for him to be playing that much. And the reason is because it is that much more time he is susceptible to injury and fatigue. Plus, every minute over 32 he is on the floor is another minute his backup is not getting experience, so in the event that he were to be hurt or in foul trouble, we are inserting a less talented player who has almost no experience.

He’s played 36+ minutes twice, and 1 of those times was an OT game so he actually only played 35 minutes in regulation. Both of these instances were against the #1 & #2 teams in the country, in the other games he is at 29mpg...I don’t have much issue playing your best players max minutes against the best teams.

Our team is too good to be saying, well let’s get Bowden 10mpg at PG just in case Bone suffers an injury....the off-season was the time for that and cupcake games are the time for that, not against Gonzaga or Kansas.

He’s played 36+ minutes twice, and 1 of those times was an OT game so he actually only played 35 minutes in regulation. Both of these instances were against the #1 & #2 teams in the country, in the other games he is at 29mpg...I don’t have much issue playing your best players max minutes against the best teams.

Our team is too good to be saying, well let’s get Bowden 10mpg at PG just in case Bone suffers an injury....the off-season was the time for that and cupcake games are the time for that, not against Gonzaga or Kansas.
I have no problem with Bone getting 36 minutes vs Kansas and Gonzaga. I don’t want it happening every night. I realize it hasn’t to this point. I’m just restating my preference for us to get him as much rest as possible in games we don’t need him for 36 minutes. His legs will be thankful for it come March.

Reactions: ColinS
I have no problem with Bone getting 36 minutes vs Kansas and Gonzaga. I don’t want it happening every night. I realize it hasn’t to this point. I’m just restating my preference for us to get him as much rest as possible in games we don’t need him for 36 minutes. His legs will be thankful for it come March.
Problem is when you get in conference play every game is tough. You don't 2 weeks between good opponents with 3 cupcakes samwiched in between. You could easily look up and see Bone playing 35 minutes a game for 2 months solid.

Problem is when you get in conference play every game is tough. You don't 2 weeks between good opponents with 3 cupcakes samwiched in between. You could easily look up and see Bone playing 35 minutes a game for 2 months solid.
I hope he did a billion wind sprints this summer then.

Pons just needs time. Whatever you get from him on the offensive end out side rebounds is a plus right now. Barnes is doing a good job of bringing him along slowly and not asking too much too quick.

I think the key (if you narrow it down to 1 player) is Bowden. We know what he's capable of. He has had an extended struggle and seemed to work his way out a little bit Sunday. Need him back on track providing some outside punch.

If he’s playing 36mpg against lesser teams that we are handling I will agree, but as you’ve said to this point that’s not been the case so I’ve seen no issue with how they’ve handled it.

7/18 SEC games last year Tennessee won by double digits, if they’re are truly a top 10 team there will be plenty of chances in conference games to rest him the final 5+ minutes.

hoping that Pons will improve and game experience will lead to that,
Coach Barnes said he is a hard worker

VN Store

Back